1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Run for the Border (2022 Trip Planning)

Discussion in 'North West' started by turbodb, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Dec 29, 2021 at 11:29 PM
    turbodb

turbodb [OP] AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Run for the Border
    Planning thread
    Summer 2022

This is the planning thread for a 1-2 week adventure across our northern border to visit our friendly neighbors in Canada.

[​IMG]
    Lavina Lookout, BC, Canada.

[​IMG]
    Rady Creek, BC, Canada.

Start Date: Aug 6-14 inclusive.

Trails: There are... a lot. They will be in British Columbia and Alberta. A GPS file will be shared prior to the trip via PM; public updates to the trail list will be general only. Here's why.

The main "RULES":
    These - along with the format for this thread - are taken from the very first TW trip that I went on. I don't think there's any better way to say them.

There aren't any real rules... I can't make anyone do anything. So, these are more like guidelines that regulars in this group would appreciate that everyone follows; it'll be a better time that way.
    1. We are all in it together. As in, we are all doing this for generally the same reasons. To get away from busy life and enjoy some fun driving, camping, and sights with great company. This also means if someone gets hurt or damages their rig, we all help how we can. Your tools/parts/gear should be considered OUR tools/parts/gear. I know that often goes without saying but just wanna put it out there.
    2. Respect everyone. We do this to get away from drama, not to create it (despite all of our constant ribbing of each other). So, chill. Breath the fresh air and enjoy the moment :).
    Thats pretty much it. Let's have a good time!

The new Rules:
    OK, there are some actual new rules, just because of the world we all live in now, which is significantly different than 2017, and the fact that we're crossing the border.
    1. Be prepared to cross the Canadian border. Bring your passport, there will be at least two border crossings. If you are going to have trouble crossing the border for any reason, this is not the trip for you.
    2. Bring nothing with you that makes it difficult to cross the border or that requires special paperwork (e.g guns, pepper spray, alcohol in quantity, etc.)
    3. You must be fully vaccinated + boosted and you must be willing to comply with all proof/testing/masking requirements while entering/in Canada.
    How do I sign up?
    As much as we would like to have 20 Tacoma's or more come on this, it just isn't possible. A lot of the areas have limited camping room. We are limiting this to 6 rigs at any given time.

Some people have been invited before-hand. We will track additional folks who are interested. Priority goes to those who can make longer durations of the trip and who can start at the beginning.

Do you need a 1st gen Tacoma? No.

Gear/Rig Prep:
    • Tire size: If history is an indication (it is), all of this trip will be doable with a truck on 32s. Even 31s really. But 33s are recommend for some of the trails.
    • Full size spare.
    • CB Radio is required. Not kidding. If you don't have one, get one. Handheld is fine.
    • 5 gal of extra gas minimum; 10 gal recommended. Be ready for gas to be significantly more expensive in Canada.
    • Working emergency brake.
    • Somewhere to sleep. This doesn't need to be a fancy tent mounted to your truck. Ground tents are great, sleeping in the bed is fine. It is bear country, and we will be at elevation.
    • Sliders are highly recommended. Not just as armor but as recovery points.
    • If you have a credit card with no international fees, bring it.
    Thats it for basic gear. Of course, all the other cool shit is always great. But don't feel like you need to spend 10 grand on the truck suddenly for this...because you don't.

That's it! Who's ready for an adventure?? :goingcrazy:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    SR-71A, nudavinci64, .劉煒 and 4 others like this.
  2. Dec 29, 2021 at 11:31 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Digiratus likes this.
  3. Dec 30, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
  4. Dec 30, 2021 at 7:05 AM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
    @turbodb Dan I wish there were more people like you with respect to preserving our outdoors! I read why do not share/share and respect that philosophy 100% and do the same. The "insta" people are the same ones that get lost/stuck/injured way out in the backcountry then complain that is takes SAR hours to get to them. However, they do keep Matt's Offroad Recovery in business! LOL.

Paul

PS - get the KDMax tune before you head out. @PNWTacoma can probably get a group rate/deal if enough people are interested.

5. Dec 30, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    No idea what my summer is going to look like, but subbed.

And good on ya for the public invite. I've meet a lot of great friends on random open-invite TW trips. Need to make some of those happen again as well.

SR-71A likes this.
  6. Dec 30, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma

turbodb[OP] and TacoManOne like this.
  7. Dec 30, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop

drr and turbodb[OP] like this.
  8. Dec 30, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Canada eh? Cool.

And love the copy paste from the detour ha I think the Cb part could be changed to either cb or ham at this point. Will just be some extra coordination to see what people have what.

9. Dec 30, 2021 at 10:57 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    None of us in the "core group" have turd gens. All best gens(1st) :cool:

I agree. See what happens. Hope you can make it whatever we come up with.

10. Dec 30, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    I thought it was appropriate, since that was our last public planning thread!

I never brought it up in DV, but I'm wondering if it's time to move off of CB, maybe to GMRS. Seems like that's what most people who are getting into exploring are using these days. Ham is good for us, but requires a license, which seems tough to require on a trip where we invite others.

Also, I have a feeling that your dates are going to be the most difficult to figure out. Can you request time off early? (now) Then we can get a bit question mark answered. Was a great thing about the De-Tour and F.U.Rain where we had the dates for a while.

11. Dec 30, 2021 at 11:17 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    GMRS requires a license for use in the US too.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

I still believe the CB is the best option for those unwilling or unable to acquire a ham license.

turbodb[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  12. Dec 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yeah I'll work on that.

I can tell you it'd be august 7-21st

Gmrs..eh idk. Haven't looked into it much but it means another damn radio haha

Huh interesting I thought you didn't need a license either.

13. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    scifidelity

scifidelity Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interested. No interest in going into Canada though. Canada is alright, but I like bringing pew pews on overland trips a lot more.

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  14. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's

Well getting a license is easy. Just apply and pay $70. No test required.

Im curious if you have a HAM license if you even need a GMRS one though..more digging to do..

Edit:

Thats a negative. You need a separate license for a few reasons.

So another license and another radio..hmm. Idk. I haven't met anyone yet even using GMRS yet so be hard to convince me to get a setup I think at this point. Especially since if those of us with Licenses bring handhelds to pass around those folks can operate under out callsigns legally more or less and doing simplex is not that risky anyways at low power.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  15. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    We aren't much of a pew pew crowd honestly. Nothing against them. But we never bring them, or use them, or encourage their use or presence.

omegaman2, POSTacoMike and Digiratus like this.
  16. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    scifidelity

Member:
    ok, good to know. probably not the trip for me then. out of curiosity, who is "we" though? literally every other outing I've been on via this NW forum has been Pew friendly.

17. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:58 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Im not saying we aren't pew pew friendly. We just don't make them a priority and part of the trip.

The "we" I guess is the dudes that tend to meet every year for this big trip. Myself, Digirtus, Turbodb mainly never miss it and tend to do the core planning. We have a few others that tend to be there regularly as well that are close friends.

Again, Im not saying don't come or don't bring anything. But I am saying we likely won't make any plans to stop somewhere to let off a few rounds. We've had plenty of people on our trips that have and do that. No problems with it.

But i guess since we are planning for Canada first, Montana is our fall back, then maybe it won't work out if it's that important to you? Up to you.

18. Dec 30, 2021 at 1:02 PM
    scifidelity

Member:
    all good man, thanks for explaining. It's never the top priority of multiday trips for me either, but at the end of a long day of driving, it's fun, but not if I'm the only one. I'll keep following this thread for updates for now.

19. Dec 30, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Interesting, didn't realize there was a license or that large a cost (well, relatively large anyway). I agree that for our normal group, CB is still the best. Was just wondering if over time we'd migrate. If we do, we should all do it together so we can replace the CB antennas and not have even larger antenna farms.

:thumbsup: +1 to all that Monte said. We've certainly had folks on the trips with guns before, and I wouldn't have added anything about it this time except that with the borders already "on edge," there's no reason for us to push the line at all.

20. Dec 30, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    scifidelity

Member:
    I never said I would attempt a border crossing with them, that would be moronic. I meant it was an either/ or...pew pew OR border crossing.

Products Discussed in

To Top