1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RUN. HIDE. FIGHT. Surviving an Active Shooter Event

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by T-Rex266, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
  2. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    interesting lil vid, good info

3. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Hiding and then running is the only way my co-worker made it out... and he was still shot twice.

4. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  5. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    If i remember , there was a teacher in the Columbine shooting that went out to see what the hell was going on, he was shot and retreated back into the class, only to have his kids watch him pass away. They called 911 many times begging for help but the police didn't enter the school or get to him in time. I know the police have to follow protocol and EMS can't go into the line of fire, so I would put fight on the top of the list. Where I work we are told not to do anything, but my survival , be it fight or flight is my own decision, to hell with the job. And I prey I will never have to make that choice.

6. Aug 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    does the vid mention the best defense = avoid CPZ's whenever possible?...

7. Aug 4, 2012 at 2:09 AM
    skammer

skammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5
    Exterior Stock. Interior, custom leather, Pioneer AVIC-920 head unit
    My thoughts:

Good video. People need to think about this stuff and practice, just like we used to have fire drills in school. People need to be more aware of their surroundings.

Be aggressive. Most of these active shooters are cowards. They don't expect someone to stand up to them. They have this glorified, superhero idea of how it is going to go down. Nobody rushed the guy at the theater in Colorado. His weapon jammed, and he walked outside and sat down. If one off duty cop had been in there, and was armed (like they should be), or someone with a carry license, many lives could have been saved. Sure, the suspect had on body armor, but I bet he would have shit himself if someone started blasting back.

If you do have a carry license, CARRY! Guns are so light and small now, it's easy, and it's like carrying your cell phone. If you don't have on, GET ONE. If your family questions why you need to carry to church, the movies, or any other calm event, simply point out that those are where these things happen. If you carry concealed correctly, they won't even realize you have it anyways.

In most shootings, people hide. That's fine, but you are really putting a lot of trust in law enforcement response time and training. Not always a good idea. Most departments, with current budget cuts, are understaffed, and under trained. That SWAT team shown in the video, clearing the building, would take hours to mobilize in most towns. The first cops on scene are probably out of shape, and armed with poorly maintained handguns. Don't wait on the government to save you. Complain about taxes, but you get what you pay for.

Some people see something like this on the news and say, "Thank god I wasn't there".

Others say, "I wish I had been there. I could have done something".

8. Aug 4, 2012 at 3:26 AM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Little off topic but i drove by the theater the other day and its really erie man, Just to think about it... The immense presence of supporters and the crime scene tape... Its all just a crazy thing to imagine. I think we can all say what we "think" we would do, But honestly unless youve had years of training, And even then, I dont know you ever know until you are actually in such a situation. I could sit here all day and night and say hell yah if i was there i would have pulled my open carry 9mm and proceeded to fire several shots at the shooter, But who knows, that might be exactly what i do, Or maybe i get trigger scared, or im placed in a situation where i freeze. Nobody can say what they would do, You only know for sure by being placed in the situation in my opinion. Either way i pray to see the scumbag James Holmes lethally injected with the states finest cocktail of death. How does that guy sleep at night knowing he ruined so many lives, and that there are so many people out there that would pay to see him tourtured Severely... Sad really to see such a bright mind go to waste.

9. Aug 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I live in CO (25mins from our tragedy) and carry everywhere (concealed) where I legally can.
    I do, however have to disagree with having an armed person there would have been more lives saved. No one can guarantee that. Imagine yourself in there, active shooter begins living out his plan and hundreds of bodies running in front of, to the side of and behind Mr Holmes.
    Unfortunately, many holders aren't trained well enough to make a clear decision. You have to knows what's on the side of, in front of, and behind your target....it was all unorganized panic.
    Sure, I would have done something; what idk. I'd do anything I could to protect my wife, child and anyone else I can possibly help to safety.

There are a lot of's should have, could have, would have, etc but unless you were there....c6e4d99c-5493-9ba5_1c55017eeb6f1ab0479073fd6e66384da7e432b4.jpg

10. Aug 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    X2..and your thoughts on how to proceed with Mr Holmes is too generous. I think they should cut off his limbs and let him run until one of catches him...

I too went to the theatre the following week after the incident took place. Sad sight.

11. Aug 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Pretty much this.

...Assault rifle fire in a dark auditorium with 90+ Db of action movie going on... while gas grenades are going off...

The shooters gun jams before you even know whats going on...

The people who survived are very lucky. No one there could've taken this guy out, before he killed as many people as he did. Most of the people who hid and protected other people are the ones who survived.

12. Aug 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I'm all in for carrying where you can, but think about this. Once you fire, you are likely the next target. No room for error and a whole lot of things that can go wrong.

Also, assault rifle vs my 9mm. Not good odds.

13. Aug 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...you're right, not a good situation, ...but certainly much better than being totally helpless...

14. Aug 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    skammer

skammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5
    Exterior Stock. Interior, custom leather, Pioneer AVIC-920 head unit
    Everyone here seems to be on the same page. A lot of "What if". We can armchair quarterback this tragedy forever.

Nobody knows how they would react in a situation like this.

People need to think about it. Think that this could happen to you. Thinking is a form of training. Have a plan. It's that easy. Discuss it with your loved ones. "What would we do if such and such happens?" Just like a fire drill discussion. Run? Hide? Fight?

I will not be killed without giving every effort there is to stay alive.

15. Aug 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    LocoTaco

LocoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD Sport
    That was a good video, I will not go down without a fight.

16. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    i'd fight to my death to save others.... good video

Products Discussed in

To Top