1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running 275/70R17 Tires w/ Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" w/ Offset Wheels or Spacers

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tencrawler, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mar 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    tencrawler

tencrawler [OP] Beaver Believer

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver SR5 TRD Sport 4X4 DCSB
    17x8 Pro Comp 7089, Black Tail Light Tint, Air Box Mod w/ K&N, iPod & Aux Input, Black Dash & Center Console, Debadged, De-Mudflapped, Blacked Out Front Valance, Red Calipers, Fog Light Anytime, 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights, 5100 Billys All Around, Front @ 1.75", Wheeler's 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Cover King Ballistic Seat Covers, BHLM Morimoto DS2 Retrofits
    Long Story Short: It Works!

Current Front Suspension:

Bilstein 5100 Shocks @ 1.75" w/ Stock TRD Coils
    Everything Else Stock

Current Rear Suspension:

Wheelers 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks
    All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit

Current Wheels & Tires:

Pro Comp 17X8" 7089 w/ 4.5" Backspace
    275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST

I had the slightest of rub on the front/rear at full lock in either direction. The tires were only making contact with plastic, and I took care of that tonight. I am very happy with the look and feel of the tires.

What I Trimmed
    [​IMG]

Front Of Wheel Well
    [​IMG]

Rear of Wheel Well
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sorry I didn't take before shots, but I do hope that this can help someone searching for the answer in the future.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Mar 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Holy crap , looks tight

:thumbsup:

3. Mar 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    tencrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    17x8 Pro Comp 7089, Black Tail Light Tint, Air Box Mod w/ K&N, iPod & Aux Input, Black Dash & Center Console, Debadged, De-Mudflapped, Blacked Out Front Valance, Red Calipers, Fog Light Anytime, 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights, 5100 Billys All Around, Front @ 1.75", Wheeler's 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Cover King Ballistic Seat Covers, BHLM Morimoto DS2 Retrofits
    Without a doubt it's tight, but I took it out for a test drive after trimming, and I'm very happy with the results. I think I will take care of the CMC and possibly the pinch weld here in the near future, just to allow for a little more room if needed when flexing. I'm by no means a serious off road driver, but I do drive through irrigation ditches to check on the cows and cut a little jag of firewood here and there. I might drive down old skid trails to get to a good fishing hole or deer camp, but besides that she is my daily driver and sees a lot more pavement that dirt; if you don't count our driveway.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. Mar 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Bush Pusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    5100's, Eibachs, ome dakar, spc lr uca, Homertaco Satoshi, Andres horns, ImMrYo, Yakima, Thule, Torza Top, weather tech's, oem bed mat and divider, SCS stealth6, 285's, bird turd's and dirt nugs
    Looks great Wes. Have you noticed any rubbing on the Cab Mount/Pinch Weld yet?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. Mar 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB SR5 4X4 Nautical Blue
    Check out my Build
    Nice! Looks good!

I'm planning on running the BFG AT's in the same size. I'm going with a full 3" though but with same size wheel and offset.

Good to know... Thanks

6. Mar 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    tencrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! You will have no problem with rubbing with that lift an this size tire. I will make the bump to 3" someday, but for now this suits my needs and fits our budget.

Thank you! Not at all, in regards to the rubbing. Since trimming the plastic there has been no rubbing. I actually crawled underneath last night to check for any signs of rubbing. I have been tentative to the matter due to the fact that they are brand new tires and I want to avoid any premature wear or chunking. Everything looks good, but I will still be taking care of my cab mount and pinch weld in the near future; a little extra space during flex is always welcomed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. Oct 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    TacoBurrito07

TacoBurrito07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey man, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what happened to your MPG after putting these one?

8. Oct 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    tencrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    I have a regular commute and I use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBDII adapter and I only notice a 0.2-0.5 mpg drop. The Cooper's are 6 Ply (C Load Range) and really weren't that much heavier than the Toyo ATs that I had on before hand, and it would appear the ~2" larger diameter tires didn't make much of a difference in mileage, but the truck looks great IMO and the added height and traction is always appreciated even in the most mild off-road situations.

9. Oct 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    TacoBurrito07

TacoBurrito07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Okay thanks man. I really want to go with this size but I was having a hard time finding a c rated tire. The st's are one of the few options but I heard somewhere that they weren't going to make them anymore once they introduce the st max in this size and those only come in e rated

10. Oct 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    tencrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    You can still find them at Sears. It appeared that they have a fairly large stock of the last production run of the ST. If you go this route, they offer all of the bells and whistles that you would get at any other tire dealer, and I have found thier service better most of the time. Chances are they will have to order the tire from a regional warehouse, and then be sure to check the mfg/exp date of each tire.

thttp://www.sears.com/cooper-discoverer-st-lt275-70r17c-114q-owl-off-road/p-09534905000P

11. Feb 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    Watt maker

Watt maker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Grants, NM
    Vehicle:
    08 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4, 2014 4Runner TE
    Are you still liking these tires? Thinking of picking a set of these up. Just want to factor in everything. Mpg, noise, balance, on and off road performance, dry, wet, snow, ice, etc......

12. May 14, 2014 at 10:51 PM
    FARNORCAL

FARNORCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    EVERYWHERE
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma4x4 DC LB Silver TRD Sport
    SEE BUILD
    Can you take a picture from the front and rear to show how far your tire sticks out from fenders?

13. May 15, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    tencrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    I still very happy with my choice. I just picked up Goodyear Wrangler MT/R off of Craigslist and FJ steel wheel for a full size/adequate backspacing spare. With that being said. When I need new tires, if I can find these size Cooper ST, I will most likely go with them again, and depending if the Tacoma is still my daily driver, I might go with a more aggressive tire like the MTR, until then the noise is negligible, MPG loss was less than 1 MPG, no added vibes or shimmys, handle great in all weather conditions (never been in sand).

They are almost perfectly flush with the stock fender flares. Hope that helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  14. May 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    FuzzyRuttin

FuzzyRuttin Blue Barchetta

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Syracuse NY
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 stick
    Interesting.. I was just looking into buying new tires, currently have 275/70/17s, exactly what you installed. I've had this taco for just over 2 years now (bought used) and wondered what was done to the front end to fit this size of tire... it's obviously not stock. You said Bilstein shocks get the job done, and as it turns out, my shocks are lt blue/yellow (Bilstein colors, right??) The tires in your original post are the exact tires I was eyeing, and figured I'd do a quick search on this forum.

So, how do you like the Coopers? Recommend?

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  15. May 22, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    tencrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    The adjustable Bilsteins have a silver body. The Bilstein 5100 are most likely the most cost effective way to achieve this minimal lift, but another adjustable coil/strut combo could do the same.

As far as the Coopers go, I still like them quite a bit. I have had them for a year, and they have held up very well. The noise is minimal and they look great on the truck. As mentioned above in an earlier reply, they have performed great in all conditions.

Bilstein 5100 w/ stock coil
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  16. May 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    I suppose you don't have tsb leaf pack right? did you left overload leaf in after installing the progressive AAL?
    so if rear lifted +1.5 and front +1.75, you reduced rake by about 0.25. looks pretty level.
    I plan to do the same.

17. May 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    FuzzyRuttin

FuzzyRuttin Blue Barchetta

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Syracuse NY
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 stick
    Ok, you got me to finally crawl on my stomach and take a snapshot to figure this out. :thumbsup: The label at the bottom says 'Toyota Bilstein'... Must be these.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the nasty salted northeast roads this truck has put up with all its life, everything is pretty damn crumby. (Dammit my car stays in the garage!)

The rear-end is still OEM, so there's obviously tons of negative rake. But anyway, Bilsteins do seem like a good inexpensive option.

18. May 23, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    tencrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    Those are the stock Bilsteins that come on the TRD models. What does the top of the coil over look like? is there any sort of spacer (i.e. hockey puck)?

Check out wheelersoffroad.com
    1.5" AAL: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product-...assis/add-a-leaf-kits-suspension-and-chassis/
    5100 Shocks
    Front: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/...-5100-height-adjustable-front-strut-set-c477/
    Rear: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/...in-5100-rear-shock-set-for-05-current-tacoma/

To Top