1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Twiget, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    Twiget

Twiget [OP] Proud to be Awesome

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    654, 6 Cylinders, 5 Speeds, 4 wheel drive
    Alpine Headunit, Soft Tonneau Cover, CAI
    I just added a second monitor to my home PC. I like the extra screen real estate but there is one thing I cant seem to do that I'd really like to be able to do.

When I'm gaming I've got the game is up on the main screen and I'd like to have something else up on the 2ndary screen (iTunes, website, whatever). In order to do anything with the 2ndary screen I have to alt+tab to the desk top which means I cant keep track of what is going on in the game. Is there anyway to set up a keyboard shortcut that when I press the button(s) I can move the mouse out of the game and onto the 2ndary screen?

2. Feb 6, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    To be honest, I don't think you can...

3. Feb 6, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    i am the same way. i like to have web sites open when i am gaming as well.

this really only works when the game offers "windowed mode". when enabled, you can just freely click any where on any monitor. this works great with MMOs but not so well with FPSs for example.

4. Feb 6, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    Unfortunately, games generally force focus of the mouse and keyboard to their application. This usually allows for better gaming, so it makes sense. Of course, if you were playing solitare, this really wouldn't be an issue.

5. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    Twiget

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    Full screen windowed mode works great for WoW. :D Have yet to try it with Mass Effect. We'll see how that goes.

6. Feb 6, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I just use an additional computer (24" iMAC) on my left for web browsing and such and an additional Laptop on my right for movies.

7. Feb 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    All above statements are true. The reason why full screen games prevent you is twofold:
    1. A mouse is usually for aiming and rotation. If your mouse were to go off the screen to your second monitor and the control switched from the game each time, it would be very frustrating
    2. Games are demanding and require full use of your video card. It's a stress just having the second monitor on and doing nothing. Some video cards will even shut down the second monitor to ensure performance is not lost. Launch a game where you can do a speed test and compare tests with two monitors vs. shutting the video card down to one monitor, results will always be much higher with just the one monitor going.

8. Feb 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    Twiget

Member:
    America's Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    I get that, that is why I was wondering if there was anyway to enable a keyboard shortcut that would allow this instead of it being a default action. If the shortcut key(s) are not being used, then the mouse stays in the game. If the shortcut key(s) are being used, then it is possible to move the mouse out of the game.

This is not an issue. I'm running 2 Nvidia video cards, one for each monitor. They are not identical cards (GTX240 & GTX460), so no SLI for me (yet).

I did find a program that helps manage 2 monitors, it's called Display Fusion. Not sure I like it though. It does not handle dual screen savers very well and the UI is kind of clunky. There are a couple other programs out there that manage dual monitors. I think I'll be giving them a try soon.

9. Feb 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I've never heard of someone trying a momentary switch style shortcut, I'd imagine that the problem comes from finding a key that universally wouldn't interfere with other programs. The other problem is that it is extremely bad coding to provide the coding hooks necessary to have an app control other windows - this is reserved for the operating system ONLY. There's some grey area ways around it that are quite difficult. I had a roommate do a simple program that would do nothing more than allow him to fling windows between monitors, and he ended up having to dig through tech support with nVidia and Microsoft, which was a big ordeal. It eventually became his term project.

If the needed functionality is simply switching songs, volume, or play/pause, these are special commands within windows that can be programmed to dedicated buttons. In this case, just buy a keyboard that has these buttons. You could do this for as low as $20 with a Logitech K200 or a Microsoft comfort Curve 2000

If you wanted to get fancier, you could try a Logitech G110 where you could program a macro key to swap to the desktop, select the program, press the desired sequence of keys, and swap back. Results may vary.

10. Feb 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Yea. I have the Logitech G15 and G510. I'm sure you could use one of the macro keys to create a shortcut to con+alt+del or tab out of a game.

Products Discussed in

To Top