1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running for a fat guy

Discussion in 'Health' started by SteelRain, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    Chris_

Chris_ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Toytec ULK, LR UCAs, Spider Trax Spacers, Stubb's HD-SKO sliders coated with Line-X, Grillecraft MX series grille
    x2.... You would be surprised at how much of a difference someone else will make on your motivation.

2. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Im posting this just as another thing to look at. Mind you this is a life change not a diet or just going to the gym. We just had a guy come in about 300lbs and he is sticking with the workouts and he is down 50lbs in just a few months. The workouts are molded to you until you are able to do the prescribed work out and at that point you feel great! Again this is a life change. We have people from 18 years all the way to 59 years at my gym the key is to stay with it and you will see great things. Like I said just another option.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=San+Tan+Valley+arizona+crossfit

3. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I recently got an elliptical machine and I love it. I've weight trained for years, but always neglected the cardio. Now I'm getting better all the time, I lost 11 pounds so far (about 5 weeks), and the distance I can go has tripled.
    I like the machine because it's easy on the joints, and it shows your time, distance, speed, average speed, calories burned and heart rate so you don't over do it.
    The other problem I have is my sweet tooth, and eating too large portions. I've been more aware of my portion size, and stop before I stuff myself needlessly. I also will eat a cookie or whatever if the mood strikes me, but stop at one, rather than a whole sleeve of them! If you try to go cold turkey, you will crave your favorite foods and not be happy until you give in and binge. So, everything in moderation, stick with the routine, and you will see results.

4. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    oldcorps

oldcorps Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Island NY.
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD sport 4x4 SR5
    K&N repl air filter OEM steps
    Whatever you do remember to start slow. Ive been an avid runner for 30yrs and have helped many friends get back into it. first youve gotten some really good advice from the forum, 1. start by going to the doctors to make sure you are healthy enough to begin, 2. do not start by running, biking and walking briskly are excellent substitutes. 3. start slow 15min at a time, and only increase by 15min, dont overdue it. 4. get a heart rate monitor, and keep a log of time,distance,heartrate. good luck and remember improvement will happen very slowly at first, but if your diligent and go at it with a good attitude you will do great.

5. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain [OP] Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    I've had a gym membership to Anytime Fitness and use it for the weight training..tired of trying to run on treadmills (boring and not nearly the same as running on pavement). Give you guys an idea, the treadmill is set at 5.0 and I can only last 10-15 mins until I have to a slow it down...I fail...I can sprint obviously (it's kinda fun to chase bad guys through yards)..but stamina is needed. My brother watched me chase my dad's dog, when it got outta the house the other day. After about 20 mins of running (mixture of sprinting and jogging), I was able to chase it back into the house. Think I cover about a mile and a half...I puked afterward.

6. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    mj918

mj918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Sliver
    3" Toytec Ulitmate Lift 285/70 Wrangler Duracturs 17" American Racing wheels TRD SUPERCHARGER!!! :) TRD Catback to come . . .
    Get a dog! :rolleyes: They are a great way to get out doors and be active! I run with my dogs everyday. They love and so do I!

7. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I began running seriously last year after having some weird leg and hip problems from too much biking/muscle imbalance. I also do a lot of hiking and backpacking. Even thouth I was in decent shape, getting into running was still tough. In addition to what other have said:

1. Start by vigorous walking, and also try to find some stairs to work in just to build strength and muscle support for your joints before you start impact (running), and gradually work up to alternating walking with short jogs (100 ft to 100 yds, whatever is comfortable). Just walking stairs is a great way to build cardio capacity, too, and burns a bunch of calories, because you are using such big muscles in a wide range of motion (quads and glutes).

2. Do some core work for your abs and back, like planks and leg lifts, which are far easier than crunches, etc. You need strong core muscles to support your body correctly when running. This can go a long way to preventing lower back pain and other posture/form related injuries.

3. Whatever you are doing, try to do it continuously for at least 30 minutes, because your body needs 20 minutes just to burn off the sugar stored in your muscles before you start using other fuel (and fat). Lower levels of sustained activity can burn a lot of calories.

4. Get some good shoes that will suit your needs. Go to a good running store so they can assess your spefic physical needs. A good shoe can make all the difference in comfort and preventing injuries. Expect to pay $100. It will be well worth it; it is an investment in your health. By the time they wear out, you'll probably need a different kind of shoe anyway because your weight and gate will have changed so much.

5. Be persistent. It seems to take a long time for the body to get used to running. I had aches and pains, and felt like it would take forever to be abel to run 3 miles wihtout stopping. I would have to stop and stretch my lower back and hamstrings and then walk a bit before resuming the run. I now run 4 miles comfortably without stopping, and usually feel I could keep going. Something seems to change, and vastly improve, one you can do 3 comfortably. I actually seeem to (gulp) enjoy it now. I never thought that would happen.

6. Find different places to run. I get bored easily, so I had to keep looking for a different park or path, reverse the route, etc. to add variety and interest to keep me motivated.

8. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    SteelRain

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    scocar,
    thank you. I have a pair of Asic Gel Kahana III's and wear New Balance as well. I'm a tard, what are Planks? Similar to flutter kicks?

9. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Have you discussed a safe target heartrate with your doctor? Then get a heart monitor and use it while you exercise. You don't necessarily have to run. Even increasing your walking by a mile a day can make a significant difference over time. Consider getting a pedometer and work on increasing your daily steps.

The starts and stops of pushing hard for short bursts is generally much more damaging to the body. In fact a lot of guys have heart attacks precisely because they'll be sedentary 6 days a week, and then on that 7th day push themselves hard trying to make up for that previous 6 days. Work up slowly. Steady is always a better choice.

10. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    timmo

timmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2010 doble cab 4wd sr5-silver
    this is why i'm really starting to love this site. all of these people chiming in to help and with some really great ideas.
    i never ran as a kid but i bet it was a hell of a lot easier with youth on your side. what i've been finding out at my age (36) is that as you progress in running and break those barriers that come up, either distance or speed or whatever, it becomes incredibly rewarding. i'm with you on the treadmill though. i can input whatever incline i want and i still seem to be behind when i go and hit the pavement.
    my only idea is, once you've gotten to a point where you're running regularly, check out this website by mr. hal higdon:

www.halhigdon.com

You just pick a distance and follow the training schedule. this guy's training schedules have helped me out a lot.

my only real advice is this: as you run more and more there are going to lots and lots of odd little (or not so little) aches and pains. most should be fleeting so don't let them get you down but, please don't ignore anything and try to tough it out. so many odd things seem to happen to our bodies under the stresses of running.
    good luck, man. i wish you the best and i definitely respect this goal of yours!

11. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    SteelRain

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Hmmm..heart rate monitor and consulting my doc on the ideal heart rate...thank you. Didn't think about that . Thank you guys for all the input..it's comforting to know I've got support out here when I don't get much of it at home.

12. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    joe812

joe812 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    ARE LSII Cover w/ BedRug, CravenSpeed Shorty Antenna, Husky Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, OEM Tube Steps, Bilstein 5100 set @ 1.75 with rear leaf TSB.
    Keep it simple. One foot in front of the other. Gradually increase your distance day by day. If you need to walk then walk. If you feel good then run. Alternating bike days with run days is a good idea. Just make sure you do SOMETHING every day. Walk, run, bike, whatever.

I started running because I was gaining too much weight in grad school. I couldn't even make it a mile. It's 10 years later and I've run 10 marathons, countless half marathons, and one half ironman triathlon. Hell, I even met my wife while running!

Now go get 'em!!!

13. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    before you do anything, i would personally see a doctor to make sure your heart can handle increased stress without any issues. im not saying your so out of shape that you are going to die, but you dont want any further issues on a strained heart.

the only person that can motivate you.........is you.
    just get up and do it, whether you want to or not and in no time it will become a routine and you wont even think about it. get an mp3 player and put all your favorite music on it to give you something to listen to so you dont get bored! slow and steady wins the race! dont be in a rush and hurt yourself.

you are an officer and have to be fit to do your job, just as i do in the military.

good luck curt, and remember.....
    the only person that can motivate you.....is you

14. Oct 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    You're welcome. Forming your body into a stiff "plank" and holding in a few different poses. It is isometric.

http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/plank.html

You may also want to get a book on basic running excercises and stretches, and look into dynamic stretching. I am lucky that my fiance is a tri and running nut (just did Boston this year), but she is more into the physiology and anatomy than the competition. If you train as much as she has, you get to investigate lots of aches, pains, and appropraiate countermeasures...I am lucky to have her support and knowledge, but I have less than no desire to ever run a marathon...

15. Oct 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    This should be your first step.

16. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I ran cross country in high school and college. I have been an on again, off again runner ever since. I would definitely start with walking first, being heavy is going to make the impact a whole lot worse. Once you've taken a few pounds off, go get the heaviest running shoes you can find and try to run on grass or dirt at first. The last thing you want is a stress fracture. And I would second the comment about getting a friend to go with you. If you can find someone to help motivate you, it will make a huge difference.

Good luck, running is probably 80 percent mental, 20 percent physical. Just be careful not to break that 20 percent, you will need it too!

17. Oct 26, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Yeah this program really works. If u insist on running I've known people who failed at attempts with running due to knee pain, but something about the way this program brings you along slowly really works.

18. Oct 26, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    xtreme69692001

xtreme69692001 NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND.

Member:
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma V6 auto access
    just a cap.
    gotta start slow to avoid injury... get a good pair of running shoes I go to road runners, they will fit you the right way... buy a Nike Plus it will track your progress and can hook up to online to keep you motivated...

19. Nov 2, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    TacoBaja

TacoBaja Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Curt, this forum has provided solid advice in my opinion.

My wife had a minor heart attack a few years ago and she had two stents implanted. Her sustained activity level prior to surgery had been quite low, and diet not so good.

Since the surgery (in Scottsdale) she has been focusing on low impact aerobic exercise. Fortunately we have a gym membership where she has access to good equipment plus a pool. The single most important piece of equipment however, she purchased - a heart rate monitor. A decent one is under $100 without all the bells and whistles - gps/pace/etc.

The advice to consult your md is right on. But I'd suggest to consult your cardiologist, not a regular md. The cardiologist would be able to suggest target heart rates and exercise duration. As you know, some doctors are great supporters of exerise for health, others - well just look at 'em - so also weigh their adivce carefully.

I've run steadily since 1978 and have used and benefitted from a heart rate monitor the last 6 or 7 years. It sometimes keeps me from being stupid and pushing too hard.

Grand Canyon? A great feat! Friends and I have done the rim-to-rim-to-rim in the past, but your plan of getting to the bottom and back is a great goal, just pick the right time of year.

Dedication to the task in front of you is key.

John M

20. Nov 2, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.

I agree with the biking, but I'd add weights. I'm your age (turned 36 last Friday) and your height. When it comes to diet, I'm not health nut, but my strategy is eat healthy during the week, have one splurge day on the weekend. As far as exercise, I go to 24 Hour 3 - 4 days a week. My first 20 minutes is something cardio (bike, elyptical, rowing, stairs). Switch it up to keep your body guessing and so you don't burn out. Then I do about 40 minutes of weights, machines, and ab workouts.

The more you mix it up, the longer you'll stay interested and the better the results.

I also like to get something on the calendar to train for and keep me motivated, like a charity bike ride, a charity run...something like that. I now to the MS 150 bike ride from Houston to Austin every year.

Products Discussed in

To Top