1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running rich with a CAI

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Joe B, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Dec 1, 2008 at 5:37 AM
    Joe B

Joe B [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Many say the engine runs rich with a CAI.
    If so why doesn't the engine come on?
    Wouldn't the exhaust tip be black too?:confused:

2. Dec 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    AFE/TRD are fine.

3. Dec 1, 2008 at 1:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Do you have a source as to who said this?? I'd like to see what they say about it.

I'm guessing this is a wording problem. The ECU can enrichen the mixture based on the air flowing into the engine ...More air thru the CAI means more fuel is needed for the AFR to remain correct...so it may put more gas into a given volume of air...but it won't be an OVER-rich mixture...just richer then stock.

And I'm sure Chris will be along any minute now to school us (mainly me) on what is REALLY happening....=)

4. Dec 1, 2008 at 1:39 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    my exhaust tip was black with the stock air system. I did take the battery cable off while installing my TRD intake and TRD exhaust so the computer would reset, everything runs great.

5. Dec 1, 2008 at 1:57 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Our Taco's run rich from the get go. When you add a CAI, the ECU will try to adjust by adding more fuel. This is what I got from studying up and reading Gadgets U-Tune Doc, while tuning my MAF calibrator.

My True Flow was causing my truck to run Rich big time:

When I hooked up my LM-2, my A/F ratio at WOT or Open loop was 11.2-11.6ish. There was even points in open loop it was in the 10's, and never threw a code. But now that it's tuned, it stays around 12.5 @ WOT which is optimal for performance. Believe me, it made a difference. Oh and with the MAF Cali, you can adjust fuel trims at closed loop also. This will help daily driving.

So not sure on all CAI, by I do agree that this statement is true.

6. Dec 1, 2008 at 2:10 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This is good to know...Now I've got a reason to tell me wife that I NEED that MAF Cal....=)

And if it's rich to start...then yes...it'll be rich after a CAI if it is not tuned between

7. Dec 2, 2008 at 5:33 AM
    Joe B

Joe B [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah,I've read it's rich at WOT.
    The trouble with installing a URD MAF is the Toyota warranty issue.
    I'm going to go with a TRD Supercharger.
    I will be selling my Volant pieces for a nice price if I do.

Products Discussed in

To Top