1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running rich?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by Drewski, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Drewski

Drewski [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    '99 Prerunner SR5 Xtracab 4 cyl auto
    Hey all, still unfamiliar with this 2.7L motor, and 'yotas in general, but a tune up is a tune up, right? I swapped the plugs, wires, and cleaned the MAF (didn't touch, sprayed with MAF cleaner only.) The last couple starts smelled pretty rich, so I just pulled the plugs and they're all sooty already. The plugs I swapped out were kinda grey. The new ones are definitely black - there's maybe 30 miles on 'em. I had the battery unplugged for a while, so I assume there was an ECU reset and it needs to relearn? Anyway, I regapped the plugs a bit wider than the .032 that Autozone recommended; I've read different gaps on the various online info for this motor.

No CEL though; am I just paranoid? The truck seems to run smooth and idles nice and low now, like 600-700 rpms.

2. killzone90

killzone90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Fairdale,ky
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma
    What kind of plugs u running

3. Drewski

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    I put the new NGK wires and V-power plugs in at 0.032 and ran it for a few days, but I just regapped them to 0.042.

4. skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Check your temp sensors, air and coolant and O2 sensor, for proper operation. Also, after replacing a sensor or doing a tune-up, disconnect the battery for 15 min to reset the ECU. It will start with the factory parameters for the fuel mix.
    Marginal temp sensors will not set a code; they will just cause fuel and timing related problems. The ECU will think it's running in a cold or hot envioronment when it isn't.

5. pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Applecookie
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, older-than-dirt owner
    My '04 runs pretty rich when first started (you can smell it), then leans out to normal. Has always done this.

6. Drewski

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Have you checked your plugs lately? Mine are nicely blackened. 30 or so miles since installed. I regapped and drove another 25, so I'm curious to see if time helps. Just to be safe, I unplugged the battery while I was at work so the ECU should be all nice n reset.

In a completely unrelated story, I made fast friends with a local gearhead - the real deal, old school, Stingrays and Goats and 'cudas (oh my!) etc. Chatted about the "old days" for a while, and it turns out he owns a body shop. I deftly steered the conversation to this "sweet '99 taco out of AZ with no rust and a sunburned paint job" and he told me to bring it in, he'd set me up. Two-stage, factory color, all emblems replaced, door dings removed for, drum roll.... $1500! I've seen his work, this place does not mess around. Only thing is, I owe him a ride in the old man's '57. :eek:

[​IMG]

7. skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Nice deal!

To Top