1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running Stock or with a Lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by provofan, Dec 6, 2013.

?

To lift or not to lift?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2014.
  1. Keep it stock

29 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Lift it for the looks

35 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Lift it for the off road improvement

81 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Dec 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    Wingman4

Wingman4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4, 3" Pro Comp, 285/70/17
    Pro Comp 3" Coil Lift with Wheeler's .5" and .25" Lift Enhancers ARB Bull Bar, XRC 8 Dick Cepek DC-1 17x9 BFG AT KO LT285/70R17E Flowmaster Super 44 Undercover Tonneau
    I came from an F150 which was mostrously bigger than the Tacoma I now own. I had my F150 lifted 6" and ran 35s for offroading. I wanted a more reliable truck with better mpgs and better offroad performance so I bought a Tacoma. Those were my exact reasons. I lifted it with a spacer lift about a month after I bought it. I replaced that lift 6 months later with the help of a friend and fellow TW member with Pro Comp 3" lift coils, Pro Comp 9000 series shocks. I wanted a very capable vehicle. While I have not been able to offroad nearly as much as I would like to have, I have found that road driving has improved significantly:

1) I have far superior visibility to a stock truck (trust me, you don't know until you've driven lifted before, but you can actually see above corollas if you have a lift ;) - in my f150 I could see over almost every vehicle on the road which meant I could brake early, avoid collisions and other obstacles - of course there's a point at which you surpass practical and enter the realm of showing off)

2) The stiffened suspension has improved my handling. I am use to a truck and now it drives like a truck.

3) Had I installed an Add-A-Leaf (AAL) instead of a block in the rear I would have increased towing ability - helpful for even a small boat on these tacomas -- They are not towing machines like a 1/2 ton - but again I didn't buy it to tow, I bought it specifically for the above mentioned reasons.

4) You may not believe me, but I have physical evidence (trip odometer and gas receipts to prove it) that I was getting better mpgs once I had my lift installed. Before my lift I was getting ~19mpg. I will further elaborate:
    A) Running stock 17" wheels with stock Dunlop P265/65R17s, 3" SST Ready Lift, and a UWS Low Profile black (yes the color makes a difference, at least 3mpgs in my calculations) toolbox and I was getting 22.3 mpg on i40 driving for 2.5 hours at 68ish mph (just at 2000 RPM).
    B) Running stock 17" wheels, Cooper AT3 LT265/70R17, 3" SST Ready Lift, ARB winch bumper, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Flowmaster 50 series SIDO on i85 from Richmond to Raleigh I was getting 23.5mpg doing about ~68mph (2000 RPM).
    C) Running DC-1 17x9, BFG ATKO LT285/70R17E, 3" Pro Comp lift, ARB winch bumper, Undercover Tonneau Cover, I get about 16.5 mpg in town and 19 mpg "highway" if I can stay at 55mph in a flat area. At 2000 RPM --> 70mph (Reading ~66mph with 285s) I get around 17mpg. So as you go up in tire size (more so in width) you lose mpgs astronomically.

I went with 285s for looks. Next time around I foresee sticking with 265/70r17s... I am at a point in my life where less money spent is better, but I do enjoy sitting high and I like looking like an offroad truck. Here is the progression:

Completely Stock:

[​IMG]

Everything Stock + Ready Lift SST 3" lift:

[​IMG]

Ready Lift SST 3" Lift + 265/70R17 Cooper AT3 + Black :pUWS Low Profile Toolbox:

[​IMG]

Ready Lift SST 3" Lift + 265/70R17 Cooper AT3 + UnderCover Tonneau + ARB:

[​IMG]

Literally taken today with Pro Comp 3" lift coils, Ready Lift SST 1.5" block in the rear (left it in there from the old lift), BFG ATKO LT 285/70R17 E rated tires, Undercover Tonneau:

[​IMG]

Those were my reasons I lifted, and I like the way it turned out. I am planning on installing some OME 886 coils eventually so that I can run my winch in the bumper and not lose height. I also want to put an AAL in the rear for less rocking on braking and acceleration as well as increased height and payload. Hope that helps you to visualize the clearance differences as well! Best of luck with your decision. There's plenty of us to ask about lifts and experiences and whatnot lol.

2. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    provofan

provofan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 Black Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Thanks for the info. Very informative. When I do my lift I want to do it right the first time, so this helps

3. Dec 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    Wingman4

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Pro Comp 3" Coil Lift with Wheeler's .5" and .25" Lift Enhancers ARB Bull Bar, XRC 8 Dick Cepek DC-1 17x9 BFG AT KO LT285/70R17E Flowmaster Super 44 Undercover Tonneau
    No problem! I would definitely recommend doing it right the first time regardless of how much lift you want - if any at all. It will save you loads of money in the long run. Also keep in mind future plans such as the idea of running a winch or replacing your factory bumper with a plate bumper - The stock ones are pretty crappy on our trucks no lie. I hit somebody doing about 2 mph and DESTROYED my front bumper (that's why I forked out the change for the ARB) - planning for those now will affect your decision as well. For instance, you don't want to run a standard drop bracket lift with an ARB or similar as it will overload your stock front shocks and ride like a 2 horse wagon, so you'd want to plan for coils in that case etc....

Anyways... I advocate lifting for various reasons, and depending on what reasons you chose it may affect your decision on what size/kind of lift. If you want to offroad, most suggest sticking with 3" coil lifts which will push your suspension up allowing for more clearance under the front end before adding oversize tires. If however, your truck is going to be a street queen (nothing wrong with that) then the sky's the limit really. Drop bracket (DB) lifts will keep your stock angles and therefore your stock clearance of the front suspension as well, so until you add tires, you don't really gain too much unless your driving over trees and crap that sticks up and could hang up on the undercarriage. For the record, with the offroading that I do, either one would work just fine, but for the hardcore guys they seem to prefer 3": I've even read of one guy taking off his 6" suspension lift and replacing it with a 3" for better performance/less rollover. If you're using it for trails I'd stick with 3", if you're in the swamp I'd go for a 4" - 6" to get out of the water - trust me on that one lol.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  4. Dec 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    Jhodgman

Jhodgman ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 DCLB tacoma V6 TRD Sport
    5100 Bilstiens set at 1.75, progressive leaf pack, BFGs, All-Pro rear Bumper(white), Storm troopered out
    I went offroading for the firt time on what it considered an easy trail. I have the trd sport with no aftermarket lift. I only scrapped a few times so it wasnt that big of a deal. I plan on going alot more and I will get a lift just so I dont bottom out on the steep hills.

5. Dec 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    stephbm6

stephbm6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Jordan, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Double Cab
    Same here.

6. Dec 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock, and normally I'd keep it that way, but I put a shell on my 2013 and the back end is already starting to assume the "dog dragging it's ass on the carpet" stance. So the rear leafs, a known problem, have to go. Don't know if I'll go for a small lift or stay at the same height, but the stock suspension is not cutting it here. I have the chance to lift it now, and I might.

7. Dec 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    TheGRIZZ

TheGRIZZ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4, DCLB, SR5
    OME w/885's and Dakar leaf. LR UCA's
    got the Full OME with Dakars and LR UCA's courtesy of Headstong off-road. The whole package ran me about $1,700. I could have saved a little elsewhere but They are small, local and fairly new but their service was great so I was happy to support a local small business. They we're prompt in their response to my questions and everything was available quickly. To save on shipping I picked up my parts and when I got there Marie and her husband were just happy to chat for about two hours about trucks and trails.

Just wanted to give Headstrong a shout out. The full OME is awesome looking and riding kit can't wait to get her on the trail.

8. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K

I don't think its "courtesy of" if you paid $1700 for it :D

9. Dec 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    TheGRIZZ

TheGRIZZ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4, DCLB, SR5
    I think it was a fair deal. If you go to Toytec right now for the full OME w/ Dakar & the bearing drop kit ( which is included by HS) you are at about $1,350 after shipping. I paid $1,320 at HeadStrong Off-road. Then add $375 for the best price I've seen on LR UCA's and even Toytec is $1,725...ish.

Granted they would have been slightly more if I had to ship But I was happy to help support a new Off-road small business at a small premium because they had fantastic customer service, we're fast and friendly.

10. Dec 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
  11. Dec 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    provofan

provofan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 Black Double Cab TRD Offroad
    If I did a lift with my stock coils on Bilstein 5100 do I add spacers on top at the first setting or set them at the third setting at 2.75"?

12. Dec 27, 2013 at 5:24 AM
    Wingman4

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Most would consider this stacking lifts, but essentially it's the same as putting "lift enhancers" in there to trim out the front end... So I don't see much of a problem with it. To answer your question: that depends on how big the spacer is. You don't want to put a 3" spacer (a spacer designed to give you 3" of lift, that is - which would really measure about 1.5" in height) on top of bilsteins set at 2.75". That would leave you at 5.75". That would look really cool if you could bolt it all back together, but that's just the problem. Your CVs would be beyond maxed out length in addition to everything else being too stretched out. If your going to do it make sure you set it so that your total lift doesn't exceed any more than 3.25". Since you're running stock coils the springs won't have to settle, and 3.25 is about the max - that's what I'm at. So I'd start with the sprig perch at probably the 2nd setting and put the spacer in there and play around with it to get it the right height.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  13. Jan 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Based on this thread (link provided) you got the struts assembled and also got top plates added, that adds to the price tag significantly. I'd say you got a smoken deal. Shoot you also live in CA, so I'm sure CA tax had to be added as well.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/300885-off-spacers-ome-but-how.html#post7655038

14. Jan 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    TheGRIZZ

TheGRIZZ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4, DCLB, SR5
  15. Jan 3, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    A lift is only beneficial if you're putting new/bigger tires on. And if you ask me....bigger tires are only good for better ground clearance and off roading.

Surely...it looks cool. I can dig it. Been there done that. Been there done that on the trails also (for many years).

Once you get all that out of your system and you grow OLD (like me)....all that doesn't matter anymore. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top