1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust(ing) never sleeps

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Motorshooter, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dec 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM
    Motorshooter

Motorshooter [OP] Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab, short bed, 4X4 SR5, Towing pkg. Inferno Orange -What a great color!
    Weather Tech stone guards, Undercover SE bed cover, fresh coat of wax. I really miss my Indigo Ink Pearl 07' DC -RIP-she saved my life. Thank you blue beast!
    Rust never sleeps. What is the latest news on the frames of Tacoma’s rusting out? From what I read it was the 1st gen of the Tacoma up to about 2004. What part of the frame was rusting out, did the rusting start right away?
    Has the problem been solved on the 2nd gen Tacoma? Anyone with a 2 gen having any rusting issues?:confused:

2. Dec 18, 2008 at 8:56 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.

No rust here!!! But i also live in Southern Oregon...

3. Dec 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.
    funny you mention it.... ive got a bit of rust towards the front of my truck...

4. Dec 19, 2008 at 3:36 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD 4x4
    last i've heard is that Toyota will be extending the 15 year frame rust warranty to the 01-04 tacomas soon...but no word on buy back amount etc etc...

afaik this wont include any of the 2nd gen...the 1st gen frames were contracted out to a company who didnt treat them properly

those with frame rot will probably not even know until they get the high tech toyota hammer test as the "problem" rust is coming from the inside of the frame out...

5. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:08 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I'm in the northeast and my frame is showing surface rust in places but they salt the crap out of the roads. This will be my 2nd winter.

Rustproofing use to be a pretty big business up here but nobody does it anymore for some reason. :confused:

6. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:19 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I got mine done at a Line-x dealer. I got mine done within a week and a half of getting it and before the salt flew.

The oil spray. The thing was literally dripping out of every crevice for about 4 days after the fact. Just over $100, but they suggest you do it annually. My guess is the underside including the frame would be the more important, at least annually. Guys that were in there waiting while i was having mine done had gone there for years before and swore by it.

Don't know if the re-applications are the same cost or not. I can't imagine that i could have gotten a more thorough job, short of having the wand in my own hand and doing it myself. ...i probably would have added another 100 lbs to the truck...

7. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:23 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Click my camera icon for a nice rust shot. Undercoated the frame this fall, shall see how it holds up.

8. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:32 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD 4x4
    see tho thats the bad part about the rust buyback/frame warranty etc...you can undercoat a 1st gen till youre blue in the face and broke...doesnt help it...the rust is INSIDE the frame and theyre rotting from the inside out...they shouldve been treated against rust before having a truck built around them...now its pretty much unstoppable if you live in a salty or very wet area

9. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:37 AM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now

Yeah too many environmental laws here for oil dripping I guess :eek:
    No Line-X dealers either anymore, none in the state! There is one place that does a knock off but no undercoating.

Its too late now for me unless I buy new....hmmm, there's reason,
    no
    must
    not
    give
    in
    :D

That's great you were able to get it done, kinda jealous actually :eek:

10. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:51 AM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Maybe next time you buy new, plan a few day trip into New York or which ever nearby state does it.

'Carwell' is the product i went with. http://www.carwell.com/test.html

The process only took about an hour. Pretty quick application, including inside door panels and under the hood area, frame, drivetrain, suspension.

11. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:52 AM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    You have to wonder why Toyota is doing to Dana corp for providing the improperly treated frames.

12. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:54 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I got one of the first 05's that came out in this area. I have what I would call no major rust issues. Here they use alot of salt and other stuff on the roads for ice.
    I think alot of it falls on the owner, but then I am a little "ODD" when it comes to my ride. For me personally I have no problem of getting under it and making sure it is sprayed off after winter, as posted before I even run a sprinkler underneath. Then I inspect, true I find some small area's from getting nailed by stuff on the frame etc, but a little clean up and a spray it is taken care of.
    I have heard of no rust issue on the 2nd Gen, but then time will tell.

13. Dec 19, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    That is a great suggestion and worth a trip. Thanks for the link!

Not odd at all and sounds like excellent maintenance! I try to visit the self-service car wash once a week. I want to make this truck last as long as my 95. Fingers crossed.

To Top