1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust issues with ARB Bullbars or ANY bullbars for that matter??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRDfly, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    TRDfly

TRDfly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    NEED ADVICE! :confused: Just started looking to maybe add a bullbar/bumper to my Taco and thought; "it would be cool BUT, is it dumb when I live in an area where it snows"?? Curious if anyone has a rusting problem/issue with their bullbar? They salt the roads where I'm at, I could see four to six months of snow too! The other question is; IF I add a winch, will that rust too? Should I just scrap this whole idea? :(

2. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    an ARB bullbar is completely different than the chrome or black bullbars people normally refer to as such

an ARB is a full bumper

the only rust issues ive seen is where mine has been scratched on rocks or whatever and then never fixed...but it took quite a hit on the rocks to scratch the powdercoat thats on there

3. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    Bumper, got'it! Anyways, so probably not unless exposed right? How about the winch??

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

I would say get it . it will probably rust sooner or later depending on how well you take care of your truck. ex - wash, wax, etc.
    I would recommend black because its easy to remove the corrosion if it occurs, and touch up the paint.

5. Nov 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Railtech

Railtech Active Member

Member:
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I had an ARB bumper on my TJ for 5 years. I had zero issues at all, even where I had deep scratches in the powercoat from some trail rubbins. Their powercoat is pretty impressive. There were rumors that they had to coat in AU since their process wouldn't fly here with the EPA. Pretty sure all their gear is still coated overseas.

If you ever need to touchup. Rustoleum professional semi gloss black is a dead ringer for their finish.

6. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    Hey what kind of bull bar is that ???

7. Nov 30, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Everything will rust and/or deteriorate over time.

The key to longer life - is keeping things cleaned & maintained properly.

I have an Aries pushbar and it has stainless alluminum plate on the front. After a coupl years of just plain washing, it does get a pitted look to it. This past summer, I applied stainless polish to it and it looks good ad new now.

8. Nov 30, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I power-wash the S*** out of my truck AT LEAST once a week in the winter! I try to take no chances, it get's sprayed up top and ALL over the bottom, every possible spot I can spray.

I did see that some winches have synthetic ropes, is this how to deal with the old school metal winch cords and not having them rust?

9. Nov 30, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    A decent to high quality winch should be sealed. The finish will rust where ever the paint gets chipped off. Another option would be to mount the winch on a plate that would go into a receiver and build a little receiver for the ARB bumper, does 2 things keeps your front end light and keeps your winch out of sight and clean! Synthetic winch cords are becoming popular because they are lightweight, soft and easy to handle, have little to no re-bound(don't snap like a whip when they break), don't rust,... the list goes on and on! ALOT more expensive then wire rope though.

10. Nov 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:

Not sure what you mean by "build a little receiver" but I do like the synthetic idea......except for the price. How did I know a synthetic winch rope would be better in all areas and cost an arm and a leg.

11. Nov 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Using synthetic rope has nothing to do with 'rust' -or to prevent rust on the wire ropes.
    Synthetic rope is MUCH SAFER than wire rope for winching. There's a ton of reasons why, but this thread was not intended for that, so I won't get into it.

12. Nov 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    Tdup

Tdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2”in. leveled, 275/70/17 BFG ATs, Redarc brake controller, Ludwig helper springs, CamLocker tool box.
    Going back to the bumper rusting, if you take it to your local line-x or rhino liner shop and get it sprayed that thing will never rust. If the liner gets chiped they will fix it for free since both have a lifetime warranty

13. Nov 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Don't worry about a :threadjacked: I started this thread and was wondering about TWO things; 1. ARB bumper for rust and 2. Rust on a winch. In other-words proceed!

14. Nov 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Do they do that for the undercoating :rolleyes:

15. Nov 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I've used wire rope & went to synthetic rope and owned a winch for years.

Wire rope is heavy. You have to handle it with gloves because the wires can break and stick out and cut your hands. Wire rope also kinks, frays, gets birdcaged, and can ultimately get dangerous to use.
    Here's a link to pictures of commone wire rope wear/tear.
    http://www.rigging.net/wire.html
    In winching situations, if it breaks....it'll flail around and could seriously injure or even kill someone - a lot of energy stored that releases quickly.

Synthetic rope is just overall safer. It's lighter, no glooves required (it's SOFT). If it breaks, it drops to the ground. If it breaks, you can actually tie it together (with proper knot) and use it again.

Just like anything else, the rope & wire have to be maintained properly, spooled and respooled on the winch drum properly/tightly for longer & repeated safe usage.

The wire rope withstands more abrasion - like dragging it across the ground or yanking logs and other such things. With rope, you want to protect it from abrasion (there are abrasion guards). There'd be an entire new thread to describe safe winching techniques as well as maintaining a winch/rope also.

16. Nov 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    that goes for people too;)

17. Nov 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    TRDfly

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Ohhhh.....good info! I'm used to my friends Taco from High School (WAYYYY back in the day), he had a Warn Winch with a metal cable/wire and despite only using it here and there.....IT WAS COOL! Anyway, I'm a ways off from doing a new bumper/bullbar but I thought I would entertain the idea and see what the word on the street was. I drove a Taco at a Toyota Trail Team Event with an ARB Bumper and winch. I wondered what it all cost and thought hmmm, maybe someday I'll do that and do it right. I guess like anything else.......IT JUST LOOKS COOL AS HELL! Why not do it?:D

18. Dec 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can buy a plate I'm pretty sure that bolts right in to the winch mounting bolts. But its just some box tubing (its special hitch tubing) welded to a plate and bolted to the bumper. The winch sticks out the front of the bumper, and can be removed easily.

19. Dec 1, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    jorgipogi

jorgipogi Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010
    Where you got those sidesteps bar for your truck?

Products Discussed in

To Top