1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rust on bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Silver 10, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Feb 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    cjh

cjh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 doublecab
    My 01 bumper completely rusted through on the step. Right around where the hole is for a trailer ball. Just before I traded it last month on my 10, I cut a piece of aluminum diamond plate to cover up the whole area. Dealer never mentioned a thing when they went over it for appraisal. The new truck has color matched bumper, easier to touch up if anything starts to go south.

2. Dec 28, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    danready

danready New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Just bought a new 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and to my disappointment the rear bumper is showing rust too. The vehicle was purchased on September and the first snow hit in mid November. It took only one month for the bumper to show rust on the sides and around the license plate. I've asked around and it seems I came up with a few possibilities. Obvisouly a poor chrome job seems to be a good starting point. But I did get another explanation for why the side of the bumper in back of the wheel may be rusting that much faster. One individual that I talk to suggested that the brake pad settlements may be more corrosive. Regardless of the reasoning, I did not buy a new vehicle to have to worry about this kind of maintenance. I owned a GMC truck, bought it used and sold it 6 years later and the bumper was still a shiney chrome finish - step up toyota! This is ridiculous....

3. Dec 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    danready

danready New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Talked to my Toyota dealer today and they pretty much said that they can't do anything for me. They said they would do a free cleaning in spring. I also figured out that the reason for the accessive rusting is coming from the longer lasting metalic brakes. This is highly corrosive to paint and and chrome. I'm at a loss for words and really feel like I've made a poor desicion on the vehicle I had purchased. I associated new with maintenance free and here it seems I will be cleaning the bumper on a month to month time period. The funny thing is I'm not going to be able to clean the back side of the bumper... I imagine 3 years from now I will be looking at a crappy, rusted out bumper. :( I wonder what my paint will look like as well... Seems kind of counter productive on Toyota's end.

4. Dec 30, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Fever

Fever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF RD
    TRD exhaust,remote starter, heated seats, Westin Bull Bar,TRD CAI, Weathertechs
    In the same situation with my 2010. I have not decided on how to deal with it yet!

5. Dec 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    If you kids are willing to accept that, then thats on you. The dealers love customers who, despite legitimate complaints, are meek and feeble in holding them accountable if any portion of they're product is crap.

I can guarantee that they would be 'made to understand' they are ordering me a new bumper if i were in you're guys shoes with a rusted bumper on a 10'.

...and another new one after that if the same thing happened to the replacement.

6. Dec 30, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    Cossi

Cossi TacoTacoTaco

Member:
    I have no clue.
    My 09 is just starting to do this. I am thinking about going to the dealer, and seeing if they will replace it. And if they will seeing if they will put the cheapo black one on it. It would look better, and no more worries about the rust.

7. Dec 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    When I got my truck from the previous owner t had rust in the same spot. I took it to a dealer and the replaced it under warranty.

8. Dec 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    Call your dealer. This should be covered by warranty.

I too had rust beginning to appear on my rear bumper after a few months and only 1500 miles of driving on it. Yeah, I don't drive it much. :)

I called the dealer and explained the rust and they ordered a new bumper and replaced it under warranty. No issues or hassle.

The new bumper is not showing any of the rust the original had.

9. Jan 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Sighless

Sighless Well-Known Member

Member:
    TORONTO
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5
    just came back from my dealer, they tried to tell me it was stone chips.. i asked them to show me a stone chip on the bumper.. Their repsonse? the stone chips are so small they cant see them, but they are there!!

i asked for the service manager, he came out looked at the truck from about 6ft away and said order a new bumper..

i tried to play it out and tell them i didnt want another chrome bumper, i wanted something painted, or even the black bumper off a base model.. but the were very persistent that i had to receive the same chrome bumper that came with the truck..

They also mentioned if the second one rusts out, after my 3 year 60k warranty is up they will not replace it..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Jan 20, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    Spindrift

Spindrift Member

Member:
    New Brunswick , Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacomo SR5
    Hey Dude, I bought my SR5 V6 in August and I just about s*** when I seen the rust on mine the other day. I tried to clean it off thinking I had got into some road grime somewhere. It does not clean off easily so I have left it and will be seeing the dealer about a replacement , ( not a clean up). This should not happen. Let's keep everyone apprised of what we find out.

11. Jan 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    There have been to many threads about rust on this forum to mention. It's just part of owning a Toyota. Make sure to wash it after every salting and you'll be ok.

12. Jan 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Spindrift

Spindrift Member

Member:
    New Brunswick , Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacomo SR5
    Just talked to the service manager at my dealership and he informs me that they will replace the bumper , no charge. Now I realize words are cheap, but I feel they are sincere. He tells me they will clean it up and I can have the new one put on in the spring if I so wish.

13. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    JDCentral

JDCentral Member

Member:
    For what it's worth:

I have a 2010 Double Cab, 4x4 Off-Road that I bought last February, and my rear bumper is showing rust spots, as well. I just called the dealer, and the service manager told me that where I live they use Magnesium Chloride as a de-icer on the highways, which (apparently) eats away at the chroming finish on the bumper.

He assures me that the rust should clean right off (I'm going to go find out, right now), and I should keep a coat of wax on it to protect the chrome finish.

If it doesn't clean off, he said that Toyota would replace the bumper. However; according to him, if I don't keep the new bumper waxed it's likely to develop the same surface rust after the next snow.

14. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    I got a small amount of surface rust on my '11. Found it while giving a bath, she had less than 1k miles. WTF

15. Jan 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    JDCentral

JDCentral Member

Member:
    I took the truck to carwash, scrubbed the surface rust and it wouldn't come off... went to Walmart and got some NeverDull, and that stuff took it off like magic. Thanks for the tip!

NeverDull + layer of wax for protection, and the bumper looks brand new (which it should... because it IS brand new).

16. Jan 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    Toyota Dealer is giving me the run around on my bumper saying they don't know if its covered by warranty. Its a 2010 OR 4x4 with rust all over the rear bumper.

17. Jan 23, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    mgage10

mgage10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
  18. Jan 23, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2010, 2 months old.. same problem. Took it to my dealer and they looked at it and ordered me a new bumper no questions asked. Goin on tomorrow.

19. Jan 29, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    happy camper

happy camper Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab tacoma
    You are so very right! what is wrong with these guys. I bought a new truck not some elses problem. They either have to much money and time or no back bone.

20. Jan 29, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    Not trying to bash, but I see you are from TN. I've lived in North Carolina for a while, so I know about how much it snows in that area. It is possible to get a wash after every snow/ice storm there as they usually happen a week or more apart.

THESE PEOPLE ARE FROM INDIANA AND WISCONSIN and other states that are much more Northern. It easily snows twice a week, and the salt/snow combo stays on the roads for days after each snow. They could wash it... Only to have salt back on their vehicle before they even made it home...

IMO, this vehicle was probably tested by Toyota USA in CALI. They never even thought about the chrome bumpers in a true northern state. Why? Because as has been made apparent by these forums as well as the media, and Toyota themselves through the addition of more quality control checks, and centers being built, they are having problems with that dept... Maybe not more then the Big 3, but too many for Toyota, and they know it.

Products Discussed in

To Top