1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rust on bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Silver 10, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Jan 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Dbl Cab TRD T/X Pro
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    My 2011 that I have had for less than 3 months has rust on the rear bumper. I called dealer and told service. I want a color match instead on the cheep chrome.

2. Jan 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    mistergasser

mistergasser Active Member

Member:
    nj
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab
    shorty antenna, power windows and locks
    i have a 2010 access cab and today I noticed significant rust on my right corner of the rear bumper and a little around the license plate. I used a scotch pad and it came right off, the waxed it again. It has snowed a lot here in jersey and i guess the chemicals are affecting it. Wonder why the right side was not affected.

3. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
  4. Feb 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    Ohiohunter

Ohiohunter New Member

Member:
    Newbury, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5
    Guys-you are not alone. I just noticed the same extensive surface rust on the rear bumper of my 2010 Tacoma this weekend after going through a car wash. I have been driving Toyota Trucks for over 8 years (a 2002 Tundra and 2006 Tacoma before this one). This is the first time I have had ANY complaints about a toyota truck. I will be VERY VOCAL to Toyota about this starting this week.

DSCN1506.jpg

5. Feb 6, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    They are obviously doing something wrong and not doing anything about it.:(

6. Mar 17, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I went in for my 10k service today (11 months old truck). Mentioned the chirpy heater fan and the tons of rust on the rear bumper. He asked if I had tried cleaning the rear bumper and said that Toyota is really getting strict on the bumper issue, so I didn't have much hope. Well, after about 1/2 hour he came out and said that there happened to be a rep in the building who had looked at my bumper and said it was one that used an inferior plating process and that they are going to order me a new rear bumper (they also put in a new fan motor today).
    I asked if they could get me either a black or a color matched bumper if I paid the difference. He said he didn't think so, but he would ask the rep when he came out of a meeting. Well, the meeting didn't end before the truck was ready, but he promised to ask. I won't hope for too much, but I was pretty happy with the service today. Toyota/Volvo of Keene NH.

7. Mar 19, 2011 at 5:09 AM
    robert6612

robert6612 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Elko,Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 x 4 TRD
    I just purchased a 2010 Access cab in November, first wash job noticed the chromo was rusty, so I raised a stink at my dealer, they said it was 'normal wear and tear' and that they would replace it as a 'good will' gesture. I raised a stink all the way to Toyota corp. So far nothing has come of it. I still do not have my new bumper either, but in another post on here a valid point was made, that I probably will have the same problem with the new one. I will call today to request a color match bumper.

8. May 5, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    danready

danready New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Ok people, with a little arm twisting I finally got a new bumper replacing the rusty one on my 2010. I put a little strategy behind the persuasion. I told the dealership I posted my rusty bumper on facebook and asked what I should do - mind you I did not direct anyones decision or push blame. My question was simple... What should I do? The response was unanimous... All agreed to a new bumper!

Contribute to word of mouth marketing... Facebook is a excellent tool to get peoples attention. My two hundred friends now know that my new Toyota trucks bumper had rust problems. And each of their friends saw the post as well.

9. May 6, 2011 at 3:04 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I did get mine replaced a few weeks ago, one year to the day after buying it, and it was probably 70% covered with rust. They will only do the original bumper color that matches your VIN, unfortunately. But they claimed that the rust problem is something they have been aware of for awhile and that they now have a new supplier with an improved chrome plating process.

But, chrome is still chrome, so a week after I got the new bumper I plasti-dipped it black. Looks so much better now.

Products Discussed in

To Top