1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust on coastal vehicles?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by blackpearl11, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    blackpearl11

blackpearl11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    Hey guys! So I was discussing with someone the effects of salt on cars around the coast. My friend says that cars that spend most of their time near the ocean usually have premature rust. From you guys who have lived in florida for awhile can you confirm or deny this? It just has me wondering since the roads don't usually get salt dumped on them in winter like the northeast I kinda thought that as long as you wash and wax your ride regularly you wouldn't have a problem. Just curious, thanks!!

2. Mar 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    yes anything on the coast will rust fast

3. Mar 13, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    I can pretty much look at a cars undercarriage and tell its from the coast. Though we may not have salted roads, on the coast, the salt is flying through the air 24/7. It is very common to get rust when living over there. I will admit, it's not as bad as a northern vehicle, but it is definitely there and noticeable.

4. Apr 17, 2014 at 4:22 AM
    chobee

chobee Active Member

Member:
    Port St Lucie
    Vehicle:
    Gray TRD Sport
    Non yet
    My experience after living on the beach many years ago is to wash the truck and the undercarriage regularly. Buy one of those wands that will spray water in the hard to reach places.

5. Apr 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    jamesinkeys

jamesinkeys Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    florida keys
    Vehicle:
    pre runner
    pimped
    Beautiful series one jag XKE completely rusted through on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, in matter of a year more or less. Just had a blue tarp over the car. Very sad indeed, (stoned hippy musicians)....

Products Discussed in

To Top