1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust on frame - too much?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pegleri, May 21, 2012.

1. May 22, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    All they have to do is get back to old days where fully prepped frame was submerged into paint bath first fr primer that for paint. That itself would make frame last much longer.
    If Toyota wanted to make it better they would have made better. They just dont want to.
    Trucks lasting forever means less new truck sold, less money for shareholders. Toyota is going the same way all other car manufacturers are. They want you to sell vehicle after 5 years max and get new one.

I went to dealershp to buy Coolant and stopped to look and new Tacoma just curiosity, Liked color it was DCLB v6 auto just like mine. So two salesmen stroll around and they ask if they can help.
    I toldem thanks but I am just looking.
    So one of them says I should trade my truck for new one since its 6 years.
    I ask him "Why?" He says to get newer truck, "Why?" New truck has new warranty and its new. So I told the guy my 07 drives like brand new truck and if he wants to try It I can show him. So person like me will be unlikely to buy another truck for next 10 years unless this one rusts to pieces because mechanically my truck is in perfect shape.
    My friend owns Ford and after 3 years that things sounds like its on last leg. He is planning to trade for new one this year because check engine light issues. See that's how you get clients to return.

2. May 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    pegleri

pegleri [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Reading/Jupiter
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    Update -
    The Toyota people called me back and after some contradictory information decided that I indeed had a case until they called me back 10 minutes later to tell me that I didn't have a case. So, they are indeed punting on this one. They recommended going to a dealer, but frankly I'm not sure what they will do.

Just for the heck of it I did a quick check of some people's cars in my neighborhood who have owned them for about the time I've had my truck. There were some cars with no undercarriage rust - Subaru, Chevy, Honda and some with a little bit of 'normal' rust - Toyota car, Mazda, Dodge. None had my level of rusting - lucky me :).

I'll keep plugging away at this via other avenues and see where I get.

Thanks to everyone for the responses - some I agreed with, some I didn't.

3. May 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Keep pressure on Toyota. My frame is repainted but in many places where Toyota original paint was left, truck developed pretty bad rust spots. So I cleaned them and paint them again. But I have my case with Toyota which means few years from now I will be demanding new frame even if I have to ask State AG for help. There is no excuse for this guys so they better start painting new frames. Toyota is replacing frames on 4runners, Tundras and Sequoias. As well as 1gen Tacoma's so we are not the only ones with the problem.

4. May 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    OP, I'm just curious. Do you maybe live, work or drive near or in a factory, or somewhere where corosive chemicals are possibly used? I wonder, only because this is more than just the frame, as others have pointed out. So I almost don't blame Toyota for this failure. If it was just the frame, than I would say go after them, but its other parts also. That is just a crazy amount of rust on that year of a vehicle, and not just on the frame.

5. May 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If it's within your means, you might want to think about trading. That truck would be a PITA if you have to do any work on it. None of those bolts look like they'd move which means you're cutting and replacing turning minor jobs into more of an event.

6. May 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^Trade it in at the dealer that tells you the level of rust is normal. LOL.

7. May 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    There's no way Toyota is going to cover that. Like others said, if it were *just* the frame and chassis, maybe they would take responsibility. But it's much more than that. I say get rid of it while you can, if you can. I'd be nervous driving something that corroded.

8. May 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :laugh:

x2 on this!

9. May 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    pegleri

pegleri [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Reading/Jupiter
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    Update 2 - It's not my intention to drag this out forever, but I went downstairs to get the mail today and in my mailbox was an offer from the Toyota dealership where I bought my rusty taco. The headline on the advert says:"Our Records Indicate You May Own a Vehicle We Are Very Interested in Acquiring"...xyz Toyota has been selected as the designated dealer to offer you 120% Black Book Trade Value...
    I never heard of the Black Book (at least in this context), so maybe it's lower than the regular trade books (Kelly).
    So, maybe I'll go buy a new Toyota (and study the rust reports first!!).

10. May 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Don't get too excited about those advertisements, I get them every so often also. I still don't think it's a bad idea to trade it if you can though.

11. May 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    that's because you live in FL, vehicles don't rust much in Florida.

12. May 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Near they coast they would, or if used repeatedly to lauch a boat in salt water.

I believe he the rust happened in MA but I don't know if he's dealing with a MA or FL dealership.

13. May 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    didn't he say the truck spent most of it's life in MA, but moved down to FL? He also said no boat launching if I remember correctly.

14. May 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    IMHO undercoating is the best option..with yearly touch ups. Otherwise it looks like OP's 7 year old truck does. Its not new -and its not been kept up so its going to fail.

Washing up here doesn't do shit, because it freezes and you never get all the salt off and the moment you leave again its full of salt. You're best to just spray with WD40/oil and undercoat when its warm enought..etc. Constant battle with everything..atvs, snowmobiles, cars, trailers..the list goes on.

15. May 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    He did say no boat launching, but just saying the FL dealerships shouldn't be freaked out by a rusty frame. A truck that spends a lot of time on the beach or running in salt water would look similar underneath.

I have no idea where he's dealing with Toyota. He's got both locations listed so I assumed he lives in FL during the winter and MA during the summer and that the truck was still up here (MA). :notsure:

16. May 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    No way..that's false

17. May 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    pegleri

pegleri [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Reading/Jupiter
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    truck is in MA (as am I for now), but moving to FL permanently soon. The truck has never been to FL and has only been driven in a 'normal' and limited way (it has 40k miles and it's 7 years old). I don't live near an area with corrosive anything (at least I hope I don't). I did launch a bass boat once in the Rowley river (brackish water), but I didn't back the whole truck into the water..I don't even remember getting the back wheels in the water.

18. May 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Car wash is not the same as wash car. The first is a machine that scrapes paint and antennas off your car, the latter is a rubber hose that plugs into your house.

FWIW, cold area with salt, use HOT water to rinse off frame (like from a laundry tub). Just be careful not to hose off any glass with hot water since it may break. The hot water will warm the frame and allow adequate time to drip off before freezing.

19. May 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    It's called bean counting. If Toyota knows of an issue with a model and that people will die because of it, but the cost of a recall is higher then the cost of lawsuits from the deaths guess what? No recall.

The theory that big business is looking out for you is BS. It's all about the bottom line.

It's not always the supplier. Toyota can blame Dana all they want, in the end it's Toyota who is responsible for specifying the product that's used and insure the specs are up to par.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of people saying you can't touch up powder coat.

Why can't you touch it up?

It's just like any other coating. You get a chip and you touch it up with paint same as any other coating. DONE.

Do you really think just because my bumper is powder coated I wouldn't sand down the rusted chip, fill, prime, and paint it?

20. May 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would never take my truck through a car wash with brushes... just asking for lots of scratches and a broken antenna. Touchless only and only with an undercarraige wash and only when it's too cold to hand wash.

Products Discussed in

To Top