1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust on frame - too much?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pegleri, May 21, 2012.

1. May 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    :crazy:
    Do you know what it takes to warm up 12 feet long piece of C channel of steel 1/4 thick to make it feel hot after sitting couple hours in -14F

try it post Youtube video.. prove it. :rolleyes:
    Better yet stick your tong to that frame at -14F prove it you can warm up frame to 32F.

2. May 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    I'm done arguing with you, and I have absolutely zero intention of proving anything at all to you, I'm certain that if you actually had a video that contradicted your position, you would claim that its faked anyway, so there is no point.

You seem to have a very poor grasp of heat capacity and conductivity. Too bad for you.

3. May 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Aren't you going to drain the average 40 gallon HWT pretty quick using full hot ?

4. May 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Not really. You would want to use a nozzle on the hose to limit the flow rate. You would be surprised how long it takes to empty a hot water tank through a hose nozzle. And it really doesn't take that much water to accomplish the job.

5. May 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You see I speakfrom experience. When i p|ss on the chunk of I beam laying on my yard when its -14F my p|iss travels only 2 ft and when leaves my body its at 96F. By the time splatters on the steel beam is so cooled down that it starts freezing making nice yellow ice pool.
    Air is poor conductor however only when its lock in the container (thats what foam is, that's what most rubber is).
    Anything traveling through air will quickly give away its temp difference (hence why our radiators use air to cool fluid down) also big chunk of steel dissipates heat so quickly that unless you have major volume of water to raise up temp across good part of steel the spot where water drops will absorb heat and move it away.
    Now I gave you PH of 6.5 and since you said you dont know what it is, I will tell you.
    PH 7 is what distilled water is (pretty much Neutral) PH 6.5 is acidic water which is most abundant due to the fact that Carbon from air will mix with water and turn it acidic. So spraying acidic water on your frame to combat rust when you know its not going to dry soon makes as much sense as ...<pick statement here>

6. May 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    Del Scorcho

Del Scorcho O-------l

Member:
    Eagle, ID
    Vehicle:
    DCLB 6 banger, 4X and Super Charged
    Magnuson Supercharger, 2.85 Stealth Pulley, TRD Baja Suspension, Walbro Fuel pump, Icon add a leaf, Method 701s
    You know how battery terminals attract corrosion? It kinda looks like the that truck's chassis is doing the same thing....

I would spray paint over that shit and trade it in. That's not just rust, that rotting away...

7. May 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    maybe OP needs some more zink in his diet :notsure:

[​IMG]

:D

8. May 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Not that bad in Nebraska but I wash every week I drive in the winter and if its above freezing I do it in the driveway and shove an oscillating lawn sprinkler under the vehicle and let it run for a 10 -15 mins. I rinse the radiator in the winter also.

9. May 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    That's a ridiculous amount of rust, certainly non-typical. Somebody must not like you and threw some muriatic acid on there.

Products Discussed in

To Top