1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust Prevention

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JCH, May 9, 2013.

1. May 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    sportsterchop200

sportsterchop200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma 4x4
    OME 881, Bilstein 5100 @ 0", OME 10mm JK spacer, Stock rear on 265/70-16
    I used the undercoating/bedliner spray from Walmart at the recommendation of others. I wire brushed and lightly sanded some areas, your not going to get it all and in those spots the spray on stuff just chips off. Im not familiar with the POR-15 but I would suggest you look into something other than the spray on stuff. Based on my experience I would say go with what works not whats the easiest but you truely won't know until you try yourself because everyones experience is different. Post some pics when your done.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. May 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    Shawster

Shawster Member

Member:
    Hey guys.

I can tell you living in Winnipeg Manitoba, we have tons of road salt. The product that is second to none is something called Rust Check. You can buy it in a can and spray the crap out of your vehicle. I would suggest reapplying it once a year. When you spray it on, it will drip a bit for a day or two so don't park it on your own driveway.

If you want it to look pretty, you can certainly hit it with some type of rust paint prior to spraying it down with Rust Check. DO NOT USE an encapsulator or undercoating. The fact that guys see it peel off and are horrified after they see what is underneath is reason enough not to do it.

3. Aug 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Is it this one you recommend? Thanks.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyRustControl/PRDOVR~0477907P/Rust+Check+Spray.jsp?locale=en

Products Discussed in

To Top