1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust Under My Taco. What to do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by northlite, May 24, 2009.

1. May 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    northlite

northlite [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Cape Cod/Northern Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    05 Acc. TRD OR Black Beauty
    I crawled under my new-to-me about-a-year-ago 05 Taco and noticed quite a bit of rust developing, still surficial, but in lots of places. The vehicle was obviously driven in the snow and sand of our New England winters, and maybe not washed underneath. I took it through the car wash with undercarriage wash a few times. But I plan to keep the car for a while. What can I do?

2. May 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    The truck 4 yrs old. Theres going be some rust on the frame. Not worry. Now is the time have it undercoated

3. May 24, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    Yup. I sprayed some Rustoleum on mine until I can get the under coat done. I am MOD poor, so I have to do the cheap stuff for now.

4. May 24, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    Has anyone had an undercoating done? About how much does it run? What exactely do they coat, and any suggestions on who should do it?

5. May 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    Old Duckman

Old Duckman Active Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Short Sport V-6 6 Spd

I don't know where you are at but I live in western PA, there is a guy here, Rick Fennell who has done rustproofing for 20+ years. I have had him do my last 3 new vehicles. He does free touch-ups every 2 years for you.

I have not had my new 09 DC short bed done yet but plan to before the snow flies.

He quoted me $400 for the new truck. He mixes his own rust proofing stuff and I believe that he has it patented?? Anyway, he covers everything and the free touch-ups seals the deal for me...

86250rrippin likes this.
  6. May 24, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    Where in Pa??

7. May 25, 2009 at 3:22 AM
    Old Duckman

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    188 Freeport Rd
    Butler, PA 16002
    (724) 287-1620

8. May 25, 2009 at 3:27 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    you can always light sand and do some black primer. been thinkin about that on mine. Theres also POR but that stuff is overkill.

9. May 25, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    Old Duckman

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    If you're gonna do that, the Rustoleum is a better idea than primer. I have some friends who are bodymen, Years ago I wanted to paint my old GMC Jimmy in black primer and just leave it that way...would not have to wash it.

They told me to use flat black paint instead of primer 'cause primer sucks up water like a sponge. The metal underneath the primer will rust soon if you don't paint over it.

10. May 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Just live w/it.................its all part of owning a very $$$$$$$$$4 Tacoma...........who knows, maybe down the line their will be another buy back on 2005 models.

11. May 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    ^Yeah,you can do stuff to limit it,but where you live it is inevitable;you vehicle is gonna rust out.All you can do is maintenance to prolong the lifespan of your truck or don't drive it in winter.

12. May 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Jay and I were just taking about this.
    His dad swears by spraying the underside of his truck with bar & chain oil & all his trucks undersides have lasted very well in the harsh salty roads here in VT.

He just did his this weekend & it looks great.
    First a real good high pressure spray to the underside then
    He heats the husqvarna bar/chain oil up w/ some wax then uses a gallon sprayer.
    The wax helps with the adhesion
    So now I am having him do mine :D

13. May 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i used this stuff...only in gallon form. wire brushed and brake cleaned any surface rust, then Krylon Rust Tough flat black, then this stuff on paintbrush. it was messy, but easy to do on the lift at work. seemed to hold up really well this past winter. i can tell the difference in the areas treated vs non.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.kpg-industrial.com/products/pdrp_waxy_film_lube/

industrial flat black with a rust inhibitor (krylon,rustoleum) will do fine. it needs touched up about every two years. just don't paint over the more severe stuff till you clean it up a bit.

14. May 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    I guess that's one of the benefits from living in Southern California, i left my 86 primered VW GTI out all year and there was no problem. I guess when i PCS again i will have to remember to take care of the undercoating before i go.

15. May 26, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking, I just call it black primer because it does the same job IMO. Rustoleum is the shit.

Thats a different version of what we call "Fluid Film" Not sure about the waxy part though, I don't think I'd want that all over. We use fluid film all over our helicopters and planes to prevent salt water from getting into areas where it will corrode and eat away at important parts. The key word in this product is "water-displacing". No water, no corrosion/rust. It works good, but I have to ask you if this stuff is collecting all the dust from the road where you have applied it, because it never truly dries.....

16. May 26, 2009 at 5:31 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Jay bought a gallon of that Husqvarna chain/bar oil at Lowes $10 & block of wax. Will post up some before & after pics when he finishes the truck :bananadance:

17. May 26, 2009 at 5:35 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Don't listen to anyone not educated on the subject. Doing nothing is foolish and will only cost you more later.

The best thing is to treat it when new before it even is subjected to the stuff. Unfortunately, it sounds like the chump that owned it before you didn't bother.

I would clean it up (prep) as best i can. Take your time and do it once. Research the products and do what you need to do. I would also consider having it treated after you finish treating the suspect areas.

I personally went with a product called 'carwell' before the salt ever flew.

http://www.carwell.com/test.html

This is the waxy oily stuff they not only coats the frame but they pressure spray the stuff inside all of the panels. Took about an hour and costs about $100.00 per. A little of the excess will still ooze out of drain holes when it gets hot out, 6 months later. It repels moisture and continues to seep deep into hidden nooks and crannies. Way better than a rubber undercoat as far as providing protection from rust.

I will hit it again this fall and then possibly look into a similar do it yourself material for touch ups after that, or have them do it every year or every 2 years. Probably worth the $100 a year just to not have to deal with the mess.

18. May 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Products Discussed in

To Top