1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by baidarka, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Oct 26, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    haha, hey my current is a 06 jetta in great shape. hasn't been too too expensive to maintain
    honestly for all I have done to the current I'm amazed how little its costs me. very reliable.
    very good friend of mine, his father, has the same year jetta TDI over 380 000km on it, only thing hes ever done is oil changes, timing belt at 120k, timing belt, cams, hydraulic lifters @ 240k and just recently did another timing belt. That maintenance was probably $4000 so far + oil changes not all that bad.

2. Oct 26, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Sound like you take excellent care of your cars......it just sounded funny. I get where you are coming from. Everything is relative.
    :cheers:

Joe23[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    I take very good care...just like modifying lol so it usually causes problems if everything isn't built up.
    Hey when the engine blew it was my fault lol, I screwed up on gear changes

4. Oct 26, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Three Massachusetts winters here, liberal, very very liberal application of fluid Film here (almost a gallon a season, in addition to spray cans). I painted with a brush, and my hands when the frame was new and used aerosol cans the first two seasons and upgraded to the KellSport kit last year. I do not have any rust on my frame except the lower crossmember underneath the transmission where the paint has chipped as that is the only exposed area.

Both my doors and tailgate have seen Fluid Film creep, as the lower portions of the doors and tailgate at the weep holes have shown wicking effects up the lower part of the doors. I use the 2' wand extension to get deep into my front boxed section. Prior to that, I used the exposed holes just behind the front wheels (not the large gap areas that were open pre-2012) and fogging the area with the aerosol can prior to that.

This summer I installed my lift and ECGS bushing. One of the steps included replacing the axle seal. I ended up having a leak on the driver's side, which was replaced by the dealer. I was convinced that it was leaking again as whevener I parked somwhere all summer, i found a leak on the ground. I also noticed the transmission crossmember was covered in oil as well as the frame rail on the driver's side.

It turns out it was Fluid Film coming out the drain holes at the jacking point of the frame that was spraying out during normal driving and collecting on the crossmember.

Maybe it's not a perfect product, but so far, so good. I typically have a black frame all winter and it works quite well. I'll be purchasing another gallon and some aerosol cans soon at Grainger to put another layer on my frame this fall. That has been my personal experience, so take it for what you will.

DoorDing and Joe23 like this.
  5. Oct 26, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Regardless of what you use, expect good results if you show quality workmanship. Stay on top of it each year. Every year you keep rust from starting, is two to three years you add to the vehicles life. Rust accelerates over time so staying after it early is important. Don't forget inner body panels through the drain holes, fender liner joints and rocker panels. They are just as suseptable.

Joe23 likes this.
  6. Oct 26, 2015 at 7:16 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I typically use 2-3 cans between my doors, front fender bottoms, tailgate and rocker panels. I also typically pull back the front fender liner to get the base of the firewall. I believe I missed that last year, although I soaked the bottoms of the fenders. That was one of the few places my 93 had rust.

It's the worst trying to clean off my truck in the spring as the FF doesn't wash off without agitation.

Products Discussed in

To Top