1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by george3, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    george3

george3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    My brother in law has a 93m 275,000 miles, no rust on the frame. My 2000, frame rusted thru and was bought back. My 2008 has some rust at weld spots. Question? If Toyota could make a truck frame in 93 that hasn't rusted in 16yrs, why can't they do it now? What's different now? Why would they allow this to happen?

2. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    c2thegreat

c2thegreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ol' Virginny
    Vehicle:
    09 4 banger
    Readylift sst,31in. mts,TRD sport bilstein rear shocks,new head unit,bedlined tool box,fishing rack,35% tint,fogs
    does he live somewhere where they dont use salt on the roads?

3. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    My 88's frame is spotless however the body is another story.

Toyota doesn't make the frames. They are subcontracted out. The subcontractor builds the frame to Toyota's specs. Unless Toyota did advanced corrosion tests, there is now way to know when a frame will deteriorate. Most of the issue happened inside the frame and "ate" it's way out.

4. Aug 19, 2009 at 1:52 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Same as me. 10 miles away.

5. Aug 19, 2009 at 1:56 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    my 01 is spotless when it comes to rust...well erm almost but you gotta search for it

6. Aug 19, 2009 at 1:58 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Well I guess that's the answer. They didn't know until it was too late. My 08 is an open frame for the most part the 2000 is a box frame, so maybe I'll have better luck with that.

7. Aug 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Because.....like every business, they change things to save money. Keeps them in business and profitable.

2nd gens
    Why did they put inferior leaf springs in them?
    Why does the overhead console stop working?
    Why do the tailgates bend?
    and the list goes on...

8. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    Alot probably depends on where you live & how well you take care of your truck.For instance;I saw a thread where a guy posted pics of himself doing donuts on the beach by the gulf.If he doesn't do extensive cleaning under his truck after that,the damage will start soon & continue till he posts,why is my undercarriage rusting.It's almost inevitable if you do things like that or live & drive where salt is used.Yes,you can extend the life with good care,but eventually the nooks & crannies will rust.I used to live up north in the snow belt & always drove junkers thru the winter.I had friends who would have their nice cars rust out b4 they had them paid for.

9. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Hey Janster sup? Well if they keep screwing around and loose their good rep then it will be too late. Hope they don't screw around with the 2.7 engine. That is the main reason I went with Tacoma, the 2.7 rep for being bullet proof.

10. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Most definately! I think the engines have always outlasted the body/frames on these trucks! Transmissions have been pretty damn solid also.

I guess with time & technology - comes change. Where the current engines can't keep up with technology in terms of emissions/gas mileage, then they start messing with stuff.

Makes ya wonder why they kept the 2.7L but got rid of the 3.4L?

11. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    CEaton

CEaton Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD.
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab 2.7 SR5
    My Maryland 07 taco with 43k miles has tons of frame surface rust, I'm starting to worry about this....

I want to bottom coat it, but I'm stuck wondering why in the world I should be worrying about repairing rust on an almost new truck.

I have had 12 vehicles in my life(only 23), this is my 4th toyota, 2nd toyota truck, the first being an '85 4runner, I don't remember having any rust on the frame on that. I never had a rusty frame on any of my various american trucks either.

12. Aug 19, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Hey I guess you're on the nite shift or on break. I got the Man trans cause I'm cheap and figure a clutch is way cheaper then an auto. besides my brother in law with 275000 never did his clutch, course he don't do donuts either.

Products Discussed in

To Top