1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rusted Frames. Report to NHTSA

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Paulie, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Oct 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    Paulie

Paulie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paulie
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Toyota Customer Disservice told me I was SOL unless I took my truck to NJ, OH, or DE for the frame treatment. It is not offered in NY. Everyone with a rusty frame(that's nearly everybody) needs to report it to the NHTSA as a defective frame. It's easy. Toyota is hoping we all go away a suffer from their defect. Right now I sanded, primed, painted ,and use chainsaw lube as an undercoating. But that only protects the outside. I don't want to do anything to the inside of the frame for fear of trapping moisture and rotting the frame from the inside out. So the plan for the truck is to never drive it any time the roads are wet. Thanks for nothing Toyota. We need everyone to make a complaint, it's not just a NE salt issue, it's a defective frame(cheap metal, improper drainage/ventilation and poor rust protection) Lets not let them get away with this. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ . Your frame is prematurely rotting from the inside out and it looks like the defective frames go beyond beyond 01-04. Phone
    File a Complaint for Child Seats, Tires, Equipment, Vehicles
    Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm)
    (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800) 424-9153

2. Oct 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue V-6 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 305/65/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper with 3 kragen HID lights color matched headlights grill craft grill AFE stage 3 CAI wicked flow muffler under cover bed cap inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    They already know this

3. Oct 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    my frame doesnt have a spec of rust on it its a 1996...but i dont live where we get snow normally(last time was 1989 when it actually stuck)

4. Oct 18, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    Enigmaaron

Enigmaaron All your soul are belong to us

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    I'm not sure what your issue is with Toyota? So they aren't putting black goo on your frame, who cares? If it fails your free annual frame inspection they give you a brand new frame as well as a number of parts attached to it. Worst case scenario you are out of your truck for a month while they do the replacement and you have a free loaner car.

5. Oct 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    ^ ^ This, or you get a nice big fat check cut in your name and you can go out and get yourself a newer truck with no frame issues.

I've seen guys getting 150% of Blue Book on their trucks.

I would definitely say Toyota is doing their part to make it right.

Fink[​IMG]

To Top