1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rusting King/Icon/Fox etc Shocks in Northern States

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by memario1214, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Jul 10, 2017 at 11:43 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 [OP] Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Looking for some help/advisement on what people are doing with their shocks in the northern states, some of which are salt belt states. Currently here in Wyoming we are not a salt belt state, but I lived in Minnesota for a couple of years and everything underneath is pretty much orange (to include my shock bodies) even with regular cleanings.

My current OME setup has protection on the shock shaft that seems as though it would help prevent rock impacts and salt/debris buildup leading to rust. Pretty much all of the performance shock manus have exposed shock shafts. What is everyone doing to prevent the breakdown and eventual rusting apart of your equipment?

I have looked into shock boots to run in the winter, but people seem to say that they just help protect against direct impacts, but don't do much against corrosion.

Thoughts?

2. Jul 10, 2017 at 11:46 AM
    VangaSTL

VangaSTL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Fluid Film,

spray a coat every winter.

98blowntaco and Mack411 like this.
  3. Jul 10, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
    Your first concern should be the piston rod, because dented and rusty piston rods are the leading cause of shock failure. You're on the right track with adding a boot to protect the rods, although it is critical that boots are well ventilated.

Fox piston rods are made from 17-4 H900 stainless steel with a hard chrome coating. This is the strongest, most dent resistant and most corrosion resistant combination you can get.

King, Bilstein and newer Icon shocks use industry standard 1045 base material with hard chrome coating. These are good and less expensive, which is why it's the industry standard.

Sway-A-Way and Radflo use Nitro Steel piston rods which is a 1045 base with nitride coating. They are stronger and more dent resistant than regular 1045, but substantially more brittle and not very corrosion resistant.

There is some more detail here, including hardness test numbers.
    http://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/fox-vs-king-2-0-coilover-shock-comparison/

For the body King uses Cad plating which is a bit more corrosion resistant than zinc used by everyone else.

FinnJ likes this.
  4. Jul 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Spintly

Spintly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Home of the Groundhog
    Vehicle:
    85 Single Cab Pickup & 2000 911
    I run icons and I have the neoprene spring/rod covers on the front and I put their rubber boots on the rear. They have been through two winters now and are holding up well.

Good luck on your quest.

5. Jul 11, 2017 at 6:04 AM
    VangaSTL

VangaSTL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    The problem with Fox is they use steel for their 2.5 shock body so they rust faster than any other shock on the market. Their 2.0 are made out of aluminum. I guess they did steel for added strength but not ideal for us 4 seasons people.

6. Jul 11, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    One of the reasons I went 2.0, didn't really have a need for the 2.5's anyway.

The hardware Fox supplied rusted & corroded in about 3 months, I need to change out all the nuts already.

VangaSTL[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 11, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
    Yeah, the steel bodies aren't that corrosion resistant, at Progressive Suspension I switched everything to aluminum.

King uses CAD plating which is slightly better than zinc, but not by much. Fox/Icon/SAW all use zinc.

VangaSTL[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Anyone have any real world experience with the Icon neoprene wrappers?
    Do they work well? Thinking about making my own from an old wetsuit that I already cut the arms off anyway because I can't justify forking over 65 bones just to have the Icon logo on there.
    Having said that, I would imagine they could retain a good bit of moisture and dirt and this defeat their purpose completely? I'm not in the north east but do a good bit of beach driving in Baja and going in the mountains/snow in the winter and they do use road salt even in Big Bear now...

9. Oct 26, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Obligatory pic to lure people here...

8B006F7A-8686-471E-9733-4DEBC488C185-3771-000005C69FAD1FEB.jpg

10. Oct 29, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    I have the long ones (I have 16” springs). Yes, they do work well, definitely worth for 65 bucks or what ever they cost.
    [​IMG]
    I have FOX coilovers and they looked like new under the cover despite of the hose fittings were rusty after one winter.

Products Discussed in

To Top