1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rustproofing bolts in bed?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ZachMX, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    ZachMX

ZachMX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    So I just moved from wonderful dry, warm Arizona to New Jersey and was looking to prep for the winter some things from rust. I noticed the bolts in the bed and under the bumper are prone to rusting (guy in my new shop has a taco too!). Any ideas besides a bed cover? Perhaps painting them or rhino lining them (not the whole bed). Or is the a rust protectant? Perhaps doing the whole underbody? Ideas, just trying to preserve my taco. Thanks in advance, Zach

2. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    ZachMX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that stark reality check, I refuse to let this state take my vehicle. I heard about zeibert underbody and door seal rust coating, think its worth it?

3. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Bedliner spray should be good to go for the bolts.

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    incredibuild in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    should have done it before you left AZ. Just make sure everything is nice and clean before you coat anything and trap moisture and dirt in it.

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    incredibuild in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    they don't... I lived in north phx for 5 years. It's amazing how nothing rusts. There are guys running bare steel tube bumpers that look the same as they did when they were made.

6. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    There's no way you can protect EVERYTHING

Bolts in the bed would be my last concern..... because you'll never need to remove them and if they break or rust apart, you buy new ones for $2 or less.

You'll want to protect the 'threads' - because that's the important part that holds the bed together. You'll have to take the bolts OUT completely, paint the surfaces (both sides) of the frame the bed is attached to, and put anti-seize on the threads.

Do you really think you'll own this truck that long - where the whole thing will crumble into a rust pile?

Find yourself a good car wash that has an underbody blast - and keep the underside of the truck clean..... rust will happen....
    You could literally spend thousands & thousands of dollars trying to put a condom on your truck .....

7. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    medusa1066

medusa1066 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport
    Quite a few threads on this. I plan to use Rust Encapsulator or equivalent on currently rusting areas. I did use Fluid Film on the entire frame in October (5 Cans!!) and other bolts including D-ring and bed. It attracts dirt, but when I blast the frame with my water hose it beads water like it was waxed.

8. Apr 20, 2012 at 3:52 AM
    ZachMX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. I spoke with the guys in my shop who dont have love for our tacos (dodge and ford guys) however they havent had any issues with rust since theyve been here, just the usual undercarriage wash after a good snow/salting. Im from chicago and never undercoated any of my cars/trucks then so I dont know why Im so worried. Guess I saw rust on my buddies 09 (but he does abuse it). May just paint with bedliner the bolts on the inside for looks. Thanks for all the help!

9. Apr 20, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Rustolium bed liner works great. For bolts that you don't want to paint you can hit them with amsoil metel lubricant and protector

10. May 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    Evankyle

Evankyle Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Hampton roads
    Vehicle:
    Awsome
    trust me on this one.

get a product called FLUID FILM and spray it on any metal to prevent it from rusting.

To Top