1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rusty frame info....

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chris4x4, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Sep 12, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Found on TTORA From Zeb8806:
    http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140384

[​IMG] Tacoma buy back insider info straight from DANA.
    Alright so everybody hear knows about the buy back, recall whatever you want to call it. Like many others my tacoma was bought back. Long story short Im in a Weld 400 class this semester (Fabrication of Alloys) and we got a brand new instructor for the class and guess where hes been working for the last 8 years DANA corp as a Weld Engineer and Robotics tech. Today were talking about alloys and how certain elements are added for their deoxidizing properties; silicon, aluminum etc. And he asks if anybody knows about the tacoma issue and 2 of us in the class had our Tacomas bought back, needless to say it ended up turning into a half hour discussion and this is basically what he told me. The frames were being welded/assembled in the plant in Texas and then Shipped to California for the E-coat rust preventive to be put on and final assembly. He claims 2 main problems for the issue, 1. is that when steel is welded the backside, or in this case the inside of the frame rails the heat affected zone forms an oxide that causes the E-coat not to stick to it if not properly cleaned off with an acid bath which he said the California plant did not have. This is why the areas around the leaf springs were a problem area. 2. The Texas plant was using a new type of wet lubricant to keep the frames from rusting while traveling from Texas to California where as the frames coming from Japan were coated with a dry lubricant. The wet lubricant being used apparently also contributed to the E-coat not adhering to the frames well. I dont know if this has been covered before or not just figured I would pass this along.

2. Sep 12, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft.myers,FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus ES300/2004 Lexus 330 AWD
    GREAT POST.....EXCELLENT INFORMATION.......:cool:

PLEASE MAKE IT A must read "STICKY"......:cool:

S

3. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    blkcoma32

blkcoma32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    98' 4x4 on tirty trees
    3 inch coilover and add-a leaf lift
    Great Info and coicedence

4. Sep 13, 2009 at 1:54 AM
    slickyd

slickyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alex City, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    had me scared there for a minute. But mine isn't one of the year models being recalled. Thank goodness but it would be nice to have a new 2nd Gen.

To Top