1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rusty frame passed inspection

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rustyframe, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Oct 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I see rusty like this.

[​IMG]

Big hopes for this thread just for it to plummet

2. Oct 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    Nunavut

Nunavut Eh oh, Canada go.

Member:
    Canada
    All 2 inches of it?

3. Oct 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    Archerwisdom

Archerwisdom New Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5
    Just found out from my regular mechanic that the frame on my 05 Tacoma is pretty bad. I have a service appt with a dealer Sat. We'll see how that goes. Will keep you posted.

4. Oct 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    jdkilroy

jdkilroy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    I am totally biased as I am a loyal Toyota owner but...

I think that that Toyota has done more than I could have expected from any other car maker when it comes to this rust issue. They have admitted that there was a significant problem and did a lot to try and make it right for a lot of people.

As is usual, whenever situations like this occur, there are always those that try to work the system to get more than they are entitled to or proclaim that the (more-than-generous) rules shouldn't apply to them.

Off topic example:
    I called Toyota a couple months ago and explained that my rear differential had corroded so badly that it had become porous and was leaking diff fluid right through the metal. The guy in CA offered me $500.00 toward parts to fix it (parts could be bought anywhere; no requirement to be Toyota). I just sent receipt and got a check. granted it cost me considerably more than their $500.00 to rebuild the rear end but... It was pretty generous when they had no obligation to do anything. (they had already replaced my frame)

As an aside...
    I just got a letter from Toyota about frame rust on my 2004 Tundra.

5. Oct 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just stay away from the civil tort system. I mean it. I've gotten involved in it once, it needed to be done, but damn I'd rather stick my dick into a beehive a thousand times over than go through that again.

What the OP is talking about is a pisser, and we all know that Toyota still has not addressed their rust issues in a manner that they should, but it's not on the level of "the city's taking my property, giving me no money, and converting it to a Walmart".

Which is not what happened to me. Just an example. Here's another. I've got a new Taco. If the frame fell off tomorrow, I'd be pissed as hell, and I'd raise holy hell with the company, and I'd be in some financial shit. But I wouldn't sue. Totally not worth the hassle.

6. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:34 AM
    Archerwisdom

Archerwisdom New Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5
    By no means do I want to milk the system. I just want to not have to worry about the frame cracking while I use the truck and I would like to have the truck last me another 10 years at least.

If I may ask was the letter positive from Toyota for the '04 Tundra?

7. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    jdkilroy

jdkilroy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    Just a notification letter that the truck is included in the current program and that it should be inspected for frame rust.

Similar to the Taco program, if it passes they will apply "Corrosion-Resistant-Compounds" to key areas of the frame. Again, there is a date by which the inspection has to happen; March 31, 2015.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  8. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:58 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    What is your solution?

9. Nov 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    rustyframe

rustyframe [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 tacoma 4x4
    Thank You, to the members thst shared their opinions, like adults, without going into personal attacks. There are some big talkers with their fingers, hidden behind their keyboards. I have owned over 30 Tacoma"s and welded quite a few frames. So for any owners that are going into have a frame inspected, make sure that they test multiple areas of the frame that rust out first and not just a couple of points that take longer to rust out. Around the leaf spring shackles for sure. The frame rusts from the inside out, so it is not a bad idea to reinforce certain areas (they have kits for vulnerbale areas that can be welded on) at the first sign of rusting thru.

10. Nov 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    30 tacomas and you are bitching about one frame ???

Not hiding behind anything and I enjoy folks taking "heat" off their intentions by "spreading" the :crapstorm:....

Toyota has stepped way above any OTHER MANUFACTURER in treating of issues frame related; friends that own the big 3 or namely Jeeps have never even heard of any frame help BUT they employ welding services quite frequently to fix "cheesy" parts....

When I recieved my "CAMPAIGN' letter ,my son went and took a ball peen hammer to every inch on my truck;nothing found BUT when it went to the dealer ,they found one area; above rear leaf pad about the size of a dime...the rest is history as my '02 was re-framed 06/09 and new spare tires carrier within the last year........all on Toyotas dime..;)

Sorry for those that are now 2nd or 3rd owners of trucks that SHOULD have been treated or re-framed and have no recourse but to hire welders...nothing good last forever,look at all the poor 2nd Gen owners wanting 1st gens....:p

Products Discussed in

To Top