1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rusty frame replacement question?? please help!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rjtlawncare, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Jan 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    4MY271

4MY271 New Member

Member:
    I am just beginning this battle. I bought a 2001 Tacoma from Craigslist. I have always wanted one...single mother...finally just did it. Got a loan and what I thought was a great deal, $5400.00, 214k miles, looks great! My daughter was about to turn 16 and she could haul her kayak so this was the perfect vehicle. The fireman that sold it to me (in a police station parking lot) seemed genuine. This truck frame is so rusted the shop refused to put it on a lift. I called Toyota (having no idea about any of this) and learned that the 15 year extension expired in March 2016...I bought it in June. Not only will the not buy it or replace it...they will not offer any assistance toward trading it in on another Toyota. I drove it (through the tears and fear) to a local Toyota dealership for a spare tire recall in hopes they would be able to help...instead they refused to complete the recall and deemed the truck unsafe to drive as they handed my back my keys. So, it is now an adorable lawn ornament for which I make a payment on each month and cover with insurance as the loan requires. Covering a 16 year old as a driver for a truck that is not safe to drive. Is there any market out there for these trucks? Maybe for the parts?

2. Jan 19, 2017 at 12:16 PM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    if your frame is rusted and rotten beyond repair, yes, you'd be better selling it for parts

depending on how bad the rust is, a frame can be repaired and patched

do you have pictures of the underside of the truck?

3. Jan 19, 2017 at 2:06 PM
    cruisedon66

cruisedon66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Near St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Extra Cab 2WD A/T
    Defrost mirrors, compass/temp display rear view mirror, rear wiper on camper shell, trans.cooler.
    You can order parts from this company in R.I. Have your local shop install them.
    http://www.autorust.com/product-category/toyota-tacoma/

I've never ordered from them.

"We’ve repaired over 15,000 vehicles in our 35 years. With a vast inventory of techniques learned over the past 35 years, we are able to repair automobiles that no one else will even look at, never mind fix, and guarantee our work."

4. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    Yours is a horrible predicament. This truck would have to have been undercoated before the deadline (back in 2011 or 2012, depending on the state) to be warranted until 3/2016. The prior owner should have been more diligent following up with inspections, as it surely was rusted through while still under warranty in March 2016.

As noted, there are parts available to reinforce the frame in the spots most prone to failure. Some shops are capable of making the repairs with without these parts by using stock materials. It's probably a difficult decision to make: put more money into this vehicle, or part it out. Members here hate to see any Tacoma shot down like this, and many will do whatever it takes to keep 'em flying.

Products Discussed in

To Top