1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rusty Frame?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ToyotaDave, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    ToyotaDave

ToyotaDave [OP] Member

Member:
    Any one get a letter from Toyota saying "frame rust corrosion limited service campagin"

My 97 has rust on the front skid plate, i was going to remove it and paint it but got this letter. Is the skid plate considered part of the frame? I'm sure the axles have rust on them as well.

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    jblair

jblair Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 taco 2.7L I4
    lift, big boy tires, deck plate, no more sway bar, painted stuff
    no, take the truck to a toyota dealership. The first gen tacos have a recall out for frame rot. you may not even see the rust on the frame, it could be bad. You'll probably be fine, most are, but take it in anyway.

3. May 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    rochoto

rochoto Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    manchester tennessee
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma crew trd 4x4
    coil over lift,hydraulic shocks,navigation,dvd,18 inch wheels,toyo tires
    I got the letter from dealer carried it in they checked it said it was ok, but i have painted mine several times they said that may have saved it but the rust keeps coming back.Was wondering if it will still be under warranty in a year or so if it rust out?

4. May 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    jblair

jblair Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 taco 2.7L I4
    Well the warranty I think is 15 years, so it'll expire in 2012. Did they spray the frame there?

5. May 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    rochoto

rochoto Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    manchester tennessee
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma crew trd 4x4
    coil over lift,hydraulic shocks,navigation,dvd,18 inch wheels,toyo tires
    no just looked at it, and said it was fine. But it has surface rust coming back. were they suppose to spray it under the recall?

6. May 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    jblair

jblair Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 taco 2.7L I4
    from what I hear, yeah. idk if you have to pay for it or anything, but I think they're supposed to... hopefully somebody else will chime in here and give you a definitive answer.

7. May 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    They spray er for free long as it passes the hammer test if not they replace the frame.

8. May 6, 2011 at 3:49 AM
    sourdough44

sourdough44 Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Sold my 2000 Tacoma
    Yes, I have a 2000 Tacoma & got the letter. I brought it in over a year ago & it passed. Then I get the next letter this spring that mentioned a free under coat for the truck. I bring it in again, 1st the frame inspection, it passed again.

Then I bring it in for the under-coat. After lifting the truck the mechanic says it's not worthy of the under-coat job. Upon closer inspection the frame had serious corrosion issues, mounts holding the shocks & other places. I've been looking over the frame since the letter came out. I did see some issues & felt it could go either way. This is the result of 10+ years in WI.

I am now just a few days into the 'buy-back' program. They took pictures & sent the info off to the folks that handle the buy back. I faxed in copies of my title & registration yesterday. Now I wait for the call to see what price they offer. I have one in mind without being to crazy.

I recently bought some tires that will go on Craigs list, 15" Firestone Destination AT's. 2 are new(never mounted) & 2 less than 15k easy miles.

Anyhow, I was still happy with the truck, Prerunner 158,000 miles & was lining it up for the Son who will be 16 next year. I don't need to buy a new vehicle right away, we have a Vibe & a 2500HD GMC Crew Cab. I am eyeballing a Camry though.

Products Discussed in

To Top