1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rusty Frame

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mtbguy3713, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Oct 6, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    mtbguy3713

mtbguy3713 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi, I have a 04 xtracab with a pretty rusty frame. I was wondering what peoples thoughts on it were? I would love to keep the truck forever, but the ride is getting pretty rough on the original suspension. I wanted to put new shocks and springs on it but my mechanic told me he would not put anymore money into it because of the frame rust. When I bought the truck in 2016 the frame had not been warrantied so its the original, but the dealership did put a undercoating on it which is now flaking away as you can see in the pictures. I already had to have one crack in the frame welded on the driver's side were the front of the leaf spring attaches to the frame, and found another little hole in the frame near there which you can see in the first four pics. I took a scotch brite wheel and ground off some of the rust to check out the metal underneath and it didn't seem too bad. Would it be a reasonable thing to try to grind all the rust off the whole frame and coat it? Or is that a waste of time on something so rusty, especially when I cant really tell what type of shape the inside of the frame is in?

IMG-2140.jpg
    IMG-2138.jpg
    IMG-2137.jpg
    IMG-2139.jpg
    IMG-2140.jpg
    IMG-2141.jpg
    IMG-2136.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    High Noon and Black DOG Lila like this.
  2. Oct 6, 2021 at 6:16 PM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
  3. Oct 6, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    GrizzledBastard

GrizzledBastard OH NO! I've built a Faux Pro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB Super White
    Not enough bandwidth on the internet to list.
    It's likely 10x worse on the inside where it can't dry out. That's the big issue with those frames that are that far gone. It's not so much what you see on the outside but what you can't see on the inside. It's a shame that this is a thing.

jbrandt likes this.
  4. Oct 6, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    If you are just using if for street driving, my opinion, it will last a while yet. For sure it's no cherry. Will it need additional minor frame repairs for cracks, definite possibility. 3-5 Winters if you address it now.

I'd definitely use some rust reformer, then the coating of your choice (Fluid Film, Woolwax, etc) inside and out.

Without seeing the rest of the truck it's hard to give you advice about putting money in it for suspension upgrades vs driving it until the frame needs replacement.

5. Oct 7, 2021 at 5:28 AM
    AmherstAndy

AmherstAndy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2003 2.7L 5 speed, 4x4 J shift, Xtracab
    The hole in the frame (“perforation”) would have qualified it for replacement if Toyota had discovered it 2 or 3 years ago. Many rust belt mechanics would be reluctant to put that thing on a lift in the first place, let alone get under it.

6. Oct 7, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    Here is the thing if you have a friend or several that can do the needed welding and fabrication for consumables and needed materials it is feasible .

Having that done paying the going labor rate to have it fixed correct could be an easy $2000.00 to$ 3000.00 plus the added cost of brake and fuel lines and other hardware .

Only you OP can decide !

7. Oct 7, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    USMILRET

USMILRET Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998, 2007 and 2020 Tacoma
    I would get a remote camera and inspect the interior of the frame. As they say "rust works from the inside" Take a close look at what you are facing. If you think that the frame is going to be around the get a 4.5 inch grinder and wire wheel what you can and use POR15 to cover it. POR15 is some of the best on the market. Do remember that you might only extend some extra time.

8. Oct 7, 2021 at 6:17 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Your frame resembles puffed pastry dough.

Your mechanic is right, I wouldn't want to do any more work on it (before fixing the frame) either.

It's possible to "fix" this, but don't kid yourself, it'll be a big undertaking. Your best bet, honestly, is a frame swap, which is a huge undertaking in itself, but you're better off starting from scratch than welding a bunch of bandaids to this one.

The other thing is that the frame clearly isn't the only thing that's rusty. All the bolts, hardware, brackets, etc... are all going to be rusty too. Probably just getting the shock bolts off will take all day.

So if you have some attachment to the truck, you can definitely make this like new(ish) again, but it's going to take time and money. So I'd get yourself another mode of transportation in the mean time...

Products Discussed in

To Top