1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Safety Freak Parent Help!!!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by UNDEAD1153, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dec 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Just because he is recommending the product you want and that he has already sunk his money into does not make this positive input. Theres tons of positive input on this thread and this site about the question you are asking. If your so tight on a budget as well what happens if you have the problem of your tire making contact with the body cab mount which may possibly need to be cut and replated. Also your alignment specs will not be able to get to perfect due to your lift without the addition of aftermarket upper control arms, so you will either sacrifice drivability or uneven tire wear.

2. Dec 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    dont do the block lift, even if you dont care. do it right, atleast some 5100,s eibachs, and and a aal, with wheel spacers.

just dont show your parents the little note that comes with the eibachs about making the vehicle more top heavy yada yada yada.

The rumor is that blocks kill your suspension faster, and depending on the type i could see that. its just not worth it to do it wrong, and pay more for it later. Just remember, you get what you pay for, why do you think most of the people on tw dont have blocks or bl's? us poor fuckers have 5100's and eibachs :D

3. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    enjm10

enjm10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Double Cab
    5% Front strip and doors, 20% wrapped around the rest of the truck.
    I had a spacer.lift before n soon sold it to a friend who owned a taco in town. Went with the 5100s. I did the install of the spacer myself and it wasn't really all that hard. But I had a shop install the front 5100s and then installed the rear shocks n add a leaf myself, with no problem real easy. The shop charged me $60/hr n took him bout two hrs which was a little longer then I expected but I pirchased the 5100s all 4 shocks n front shocks installed all for under $500.

4. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box

5. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    5100's on all four corners is way cheaper than than a grand and much easier on your truck. just my .02

6. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    maroon97Taco

maroon97Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L
    If you're not plannin on wheelin in this truck, then why are you wastin your money on mud tires? I say if youre not gonna wheel it, get some BFG rugged trails, and save your money to buy an STS turbo and smoke all your friends in your v6! :D

7. Dec 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Top plate or coil spacers?

8. Dec 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Either way, if I were you, id do the lift right and put mid travel coilovers, uniball ucas and a leaf pack or progressive aals. Trust me. Spacers do a lot of damage that you don't realize till there is a critical failure. That and why not? You have a TX pro! It deserves a good mid travel lift. Oh and btw keep ur OEM rims.

9. Dec 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    This is what I dont understand. You dont want to drop "a lot" of money on the lift....but you want $1000 Mickey Thompson tires??

For $550 (maybe a few bucks more) you can get bilstein 5100's, eibach coils, and an AAL, and do the work yourself (or find someone to help you, I bet someone on TW near you would love to help so you can have a decent lift).

Do it right the first time. A good suspension lift is a lot safer than a half ass spacer/block lift. We recommend doing things the right way...because its the right way. If you can't afford it now, save up and do it right the first time.

I bent a front shock because of the spacer lift that came on my truck, and I wasn't even offroad. (ran off the road by another driver and went over a small drop off and bottomed the front end).

And if you or your parents are concerned about safety, stick with A/T tires...mud terrains are terrible on the road.

10. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    why do i feel like no matter what we say and no matter how much evidence we give people they are still not going to listen...

:unsub'd:

11. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    This ^^

12. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    UNDEAD1153

UNDEAD1153 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TX Pro Double Cab
    Rough Country 6" lift, 17" XD Addicts, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 6K HID's, Wet Okole's, Kenwood DD head unit, Custom Exhaust
    Honestly, I would love to go with the billies and 885's and AAL but i cant find anywhere that I can get them without everything being over $600 WITHOUT install, and no, I can not install them myself, parents dont want me to because they want an installer waranty. If anyone can find the full listed above for a decent price (I know about downsouthmotorsports.com for the billies being $300) but I want to get the full 3 inches and be able to clear the 285 tires but with the lift listed above will I still need new UCA's or spacers? From my understandings from other threads I still will, but correct me if I'm wrong.

13. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    So you want to skimp on suspension parts to just "get by" untill you can spend more money and end up doing it over again down the road?
    Live by this moto "buy once, cry once". Most of us have learned the hard way.

THIS^
    I had a 3" spacer lift and I HATED IT! It was super rough, my truck wandered all over the highway bc I did not have proper caster from using the stock UCA's.

quoted for truth

14. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    racerxtaco

racerxtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    01 xtra-cab 4X4 w/cap
    had a friend like the OP once. took all he could from mommy and daddy and got the cheapest crap for his car that amount of money could buy so he could get a lot of different things to show off, then, when those things broke he asked for more to fix HIS mistake. people like this only hear what they want and thats it. sorry about the rant, stressful day and i'd rather vent on here than to my wife and kids.
    OP, if possible listen to the majority on here. you dont wheel so get and AT tire and take their 550 they want to sling for the lift and save up an extra thousand on your end and do it right (OME, new leaf packs, UCA's).

15. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    canyonchaser

canyonchaser Member Known Well

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    I am about to lift mine - I don't need/care to have a 3-inch lift, but 1.5" - 2" would be ideal. No way I'm doing spacers and blocks. So I priced four Bilstein 5100,s, two Eibachs springs, new bushings and an Add a Leaf kit and its within reach of your budget. - $630

And this stuff is easy to install as long as you have some basic tools, jack stands and a floor jack (all of which you could purchase for less than it'll cost to have someone else install the stuff for you). Of course, after the install, an alignment is necessary. Don't do that on your own.

But for the same price as the crap-tastic compromising kit, you could do it right and actually learn how to work on your own vehicle a bit.

And I really don't understand the average Americans terror when it comes to working on their own sh!t and always having to pay someone else to do it "right". You really can do this stuff on your own. And in my experience, paying someone else to do it "right" rarely means it was done right. My experience has more often been; if you want something done right, do it yourself. (within this context and with a few exceptions of course - I'm not qualified to rebuild Ducati desmodromic valve trains as an example - but adjusting Ducati valves is a snap.)

Oh, and "installer warranty" is laughable. It's a gimmick. If it fails, they'll say it was operator error. Guaranteed.

dp

16. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    :sub'd:

please listen very closely to what all of us here at TW are telling you. i am not trying to be a jackass, i am just trying to save you and your truck problems that you will face if you go with a spacer lift. if the problem is money and you can only afford a cheap lift, DO NOT DO IT. lifting a truck in the first place already puts the potential for parts to wear faster especially if the lift is not installed correctly or if you buy cheap parts (i.e. spacers). i really wanted to lift my truck as soon as i got it but i didn't have the money to do a proper lift plus i wanted this truck to be a project/hobby for me so i got a job.

look what i am trying to tell you is don't do it for a number of reasons. if you want your truck to be just for looks then (IMO) you definitely should not waste your parents money on a spacer lift and M/T tires.

if you want to lift your truck with billies and aal (like i have done to my truck) AND clear 285's you will need the following:

5100's (rear optional but i recommend you get rears also)
    AAL (i went with toytec AAL)
    wheel spacers (i only have mine in the front to clear UCA and i have 1.25 spidertrax)
    you will also need to do a good bit of trimming in the fender wells (regardless of what lift you have because 285's are going to rub)

:unsub'd:

17. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    These forums are littered with folks that half assed it and came here looking for help with their alignment, driveline vibrations, broken wheel spacers and the list goes on and on. You can spend the money and do it correctly or you can go the economy route and take your chances. Some folks have gone this route with no problems, I think this is a shorter list. You would be better served to save your money, buy the correct parts as you can afford them, store them in your garage until you have everything you want and need and then do the install, once and correctly. Just my .02 cents.

18. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    UNDEAD1153

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country 6" lift, 17" XD Addicts, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 6K HID's, Wet Okole's, Kenwood DD head unit, Custom Exhaust
    I am paying for whatever my parents are not covering, they said I could get clothes and stuff for Christmas or they would help me pay for a lift, I am very grateful for what they have done for me, and the only reason I have a new truck is because they wanted the safest vehichle possible, that I liked, and we could afford it. I mean who wants clothes when they have the mod bug? :D I have told them that I will cover anything that (if it does) goes wrong, I will cover whatever I need but the money I have saved from last summers work has to last me until i start working again in the spring so i do not want to spend half of my savings on a lift and tires, the main reason im getting the lift is to fit the bigger tires. Also sorry about the bad day, hope everything goes well tomorrow ;)

19. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    x2 on this. OP I have seen references to mom and dad as well as until you can start working in summer. So I am guessing you're still in high school with a brand new truck. You should count yourself lucky as it is. if your parents want to spring for a lift that's awesome and you should consider what their wishes are. But I'd be willing to bet that some TW members in your area could put a quality suspension lift on for you and do a better job for cheaper than some guy that's trying to sell you a spacer lift.

I received a 10 year old 2wd s-10 as my first vehicle and it looked like it had a james bond smoke screen every time I went down the road but I made it last till I could afford to upgrade. Every time I drive by the local high schools and see these kids driving out of the school parking lots with brand new beamers, mercedes, and lexus vehicles, it makes me sick.

20. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    UNDEAD1153

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    I would love to work on my own truck, actually something i would like to take up but my parents will not allow it while i still have a waranty on it.

"If you cant do it yourself, just ask 2 words,"How much?"

Products Discussed in

To Top