1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SAIRS 2012 S/W Longbed Sport Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by SAIRS, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went from a 2003 Acura CL Type S, with the 6 spd manual and factory navi. Let’s just say I went through hell with this car. It was a good car, but 3 accidents, a brazen mid-day douch-baggery key job from taillight to headlight. An engine that seized up on me that we found wasn’t the original engine at all (should be 260 hp), but a higher mileage, lesser horsepower motor from a salvaged 2000 Acura TL (225 hp). Yeah, I decided to go new this time so nobody could violate my ride.

[​IMG]

To a Super White 2012 ToyotaTacoma, Double Cab Long bed, TRD Sport w/o Entune.

[​IMG]

I wanted the stock sport wheels and was willing to put money down and wait for an order to come in from the factory. I went through my old manager at Karl Malone Toyota to buy it. I wanted a good deal for me and for him to make a bit of money too. I wanted to be $1000 over invoice. Well, being how it was the end of the month, they wanted to get a few more numbers and weren’t as concerned with gross profit on each sale. They had several Super White TRD Double Cab Long beds on the lot, but they all had the upgrade package, which I didn’t want to pay extra for since I was going to change the wheels out anyway. Besides, I didn’t care for the downgraded “upgrade” wheels. They wanted to make it simple for everyone, so they just sold me the truck at invoice cost. Well, it was snowing pretty bad anyhow, so…why not.

I test drove it with 4 miles on the odometer. By the time I got back to the lot, with a full tank of gas and washed, I had ten miles on it.

Purchased 2/29/12
    Factory bed mat from Camelback Toyota (a TW Vendor)
    Tailgate theft removal mod. Got my key clamp from AutoZone

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/27829-tailgate-theft-how-prevent.html

Lift arrives!

[​IMG]

From Down South MotorSports
    Icon Stage 1, Extended Travel
    Total Chaos UCA’s
    OME Dakar leaf pack

Received bushings for the OME Dakars from Wheelers Off-road.

Post lift, while waiting for wheels and tires

[​IMG]

Wheels and Tires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Discount Tire, I got a $60 rebate on everything plus a $300 trade in credit for my factory wheels and tires. They beat everyone on bottom line price. I only go through Discount. Everyone else is several hundreds of dollars higher.

18x9 XD Monsters

285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers

I immediately drove over to the Firestone Auto Care center and got the alignment done. I did the lifetime alignment program for just under $200. Upon arriving at Firestone (Two right hand turns, one left turn and one right hand turn again), the front mud flaps had rubbed all the way through in one spot from the new tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I discovered I needed to address the “taco” lean. The alignment shop could not get the driver side into spec. I raised the driver side about two inches. I like the stance better and I got the alignment in spec. One more alignment in a month and that lifetime alignment will have paid for itself.

From Truck Alterations, I bought a Pop N Lock and the Access Limited edition Tonneau cover. Customer service was good, but there were some hiccups on Access side getting the order out. It took a few extra days because they were short staffed. Things happen, but Truck Alterations went to bat for me and got on their case. Access threw in this cargo grabber hook thing that was a $30 value for free. You know Looney Toons with the hook that yanks people off the stage? Yeah…that type of thing.

Installed Pop N Lock – I need to see if I can mess with it more. The key is rather stiff when I turn it and it does not come out very well.

Installed Access Limited EditionTonneau Cover- Had some hiccups trying to remove the bolts that held in the factory rail system. You needed a Torx T-30 bit, which I had, but I think the bits I were using were crap quality. I couldn’t get them to budge on three bolts. I took it over to the dealership and he backed them right out. I went and bought some Craftsman drill bits after that…crappy Freight International garbage.

WeatherTech Digital Floormats [​IMG]

WeatherTech Window deflector, WeatherTech plate frame are one theway. Went through Scott at Truckaddons.com during the group buy which is saving me about $35.

Next on my list is some armor:
    Maybe darker window tint up front
    Venture shield (verysoon)
    A tailgate reinforcement project (being built now)
    Beefed Taco sliders forthe DCLB, with pivoting steps
    Custom Beefed Taco rear tube bumper (hoping)
    A beefy light bar... possibly Avid, but may do custom of some type through Brian.

Some Lightforce lights
    Skid plates
    I’d like some kind of metal lockbox to secure valuables in, maybe for the glove box?
    Undercover swinging toolbox?

I have adjusted the front end so there isnt as much 60's muscle car rake to it. Will get photos up later.

2. May 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    Taking it down to Moab this weekend. I will get some non-mall crawling pics for you guys too.

3. May 3, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    damn that truck looks freakin awsome... super white longbed ftw!!!

4. May 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    great looking truck! DCLB Trd Sports ftw!

5. May 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    So I took it out on "Fins N Things" while at Moab. The trail was perfect for me as someone who hasnt done much offroading. Had a buddy there with a jeep cherokee that knew what he was doing. My tires were much better than his were. I climbed up stuff without effort, where he struggled sometimes to get a grip. I am blown away by what my truck was able to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. May 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    :drool: that is sick

7. May 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Socalduckslayer

Socalduckslayer Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    Very nice job, truck is looking good, coming along nice. Damn I wish I lived closer to Moab

8. May 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    great pics, going to have to hit up MOAB next year!

9. May 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Loved Moab! Fins N Things is right around the corner from Slickrock. There are some rediculous things on that trail. some of my friends from the trip took video cameras of me climbing some of this stuff. I'll try and get some of those posted soon. I was seriously blown away but what it could do even without having a locker. It was 80 degrees when we went. It couldnt have been better weather.

10. May 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the comments guys. I have some unique mod ideas that I hope to have taken care of soon. I need to recover from this last go around though. I need to do something about some bed lights and maybe a rack of some kind that can help keep scuba gear from rolling around like crazy when I go.

11. May 11, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    YukonLT

YukonLT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 Timberland Mica
    none
    Love black rims on a white truck, just looks completely bad ass. My Taco is green and I'm looking at black rims for it and going for an "army" type theme. Your truck is awesome man :headbang:

12. May 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Tacomatrd2010

Tacomatrd2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 Street Queen
    truck looks sweet man!

13. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    So Mayhem strikes again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtP-S9OS0o0

Hit a deer going 65mph in the middle of nowhere. The deer’s hips hit the corner bumper. Insurance covered it under comprehensive which saved by butt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going off my luck with how the universe likes to bring mayhem to my vehicles….I used the insurance money and a little of my own to upgrade too….

[​IMG]

Jason and the guys at Demello Offroad pumped this beauty out for me. I also got Acro fog lights hooked up. I added a TJM 9000 lb Stealth Winch.

Demello is also in the process of building me one of their bed lightbar to go with the Hi Lift mounts (see the link below). It is a custom job because the Access Limited soft tonneau moves the bed rail system out a bit, so they are going to make the bed bar shorter, which I will mount underneath the tonneau cover.

http://www.demello-offroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_22&products_id=32

They also did a cab mount chop for me . I am getting hardly any rubbing from the Trail Grapplers now.

The guys in at Demello Offroad are amazing. their products are top notch and they are a great group of guys who know their stuff. The Porky's Pizza they had their was awesome too.

I have some other goods in the works as we speak. Sliders and a custom tube rear bumper....pics to come.

14. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Bumper looks great! Looking forward to seeing your future plans. Guess it worked out with the deer situation.

15. Sep 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    Fightman80

Fightman80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB Speedway Blue
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    Nice rig man! The front ends on these 2012's look amazing! Sorry to hear about the deer hit... at least you got a nice plate bumper out of the deal though! I've recently gone through some B.S with a collision in my 98 4Runner. The darn garage botched the paint work once, and then offered to do extra work (for all my trouble), and botched that as well!! I managed to get things straightened out, but what a PITA!Anyway, glad it worked out for you!

16. Nov 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Moar pics of the bumper? Please! Oh and btw love the SW nice build:)

17. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Great looking truck man! Sorry to hear about the deer accident, but I guess it worked out for you in the end! haha

SWDCLBFTW!!

18. Dec 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:

I finally pulled together my custom DCLB sliders made by Brian(Beefed Taco). The bedside protection is a custom design that I came up with. Iwanted it to mimic the rear wheel well with the hope that it would flow withtruck. I also had him do a longer kickout on the slider. Normally the kickouthas enough space for a single support cross beam. I thought it wasn’t asproportioned as well as it could be on the DCLB. His sliders have been builtfor the Access Cab and DC Short Beds which I think they look fine normally, butwith the DCLB model it is a longer slider and it just wasn’t working for mewith the first prototype. I drove my truck from Utah to San Diego and left itwith Brian for a week while he worked on it. He also did a custom tube bumperthat I haven’t gotten painted yet. I was to powder coat it, but it is huge andI don’t know if there is a place that can powdercoat something as big as theback side of the truck. I’ll get that posted once I figure it all out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear passenger door slider width [​IMG]

Front passenger side slider width

[​IMG]

19. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    xSJx

xSJx Member

Member:
    who installed your lift?

Products Discussed in

To Top