1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SAIS Weirdness/Question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by smallboxgames, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Feb 1, 2024 at 12:17 PM
    smallboxgames

smallboxgames [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Gray Tacoma Base
    So I got the P0418 code last week. It took a few days after getting the code for my truck to go into limp mode (I was still driving it locally waiting for my new pump to arrive).

Changed the secondary air pump on Monday. Cranked it up: Trac and Check Engine light were gone. Perfect.

Drove a hundred or so miles over the past few days (including 3 or 4 cold cranks), went to crank it up this morning and the Trac and Check Engine light are back on. It's showing P0418 again.

Checked and the new pump is running on crank. Read somewhere to make sure you can't blow air into the valve through the tube, checked that and I can't blow air through, so I'm guessing the valve isn't stuck open.

Disconnected and reconnected the battery and the Trac and Check Engine lights are off. The new Secondary Air Pump is running fine.

What's my next step? Is there something I'm overlooking? Do the SAIS pump and valve both run off the same circuit? Is there a way to check the valve without removing it? I know there's a mod to bypass this system, but I'm not interested in that.

Thank you in advance!

2013 I4 Tacoma | 85,000.

2. Feb 1, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    Should’ve just bought the Hewitt Bypass kit, are you able to return it??

3. Feb 1, 2024 at 12:49 PM
    smallboxgames

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Gray Tacoma Base
    I'd prefer not to do something that could cause trouble with emissions down the road. Luckily, the pump wasn't expensive and I did the work myself, so I'm not out much.

4. Feb 2, 2024 at 4:25 AM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    Did you take a look at your original SAI pumps internal filter? I'm shooting in the dark here but I believe that a piece of your original foam filter has been ingested by one of your reed valves. As far as I know, there's no way to check the condition of your reed valves without removing the valve body from your block. After you remove it, you may be able to blow some low pressure air through it to clear the debris and reuse the valves. With your new SAI pump, you should take it apart and remove the stock foam filter that sits above the impeller and replace it with a Unifilter. I believe its the 1 inch Unifilter but confirm before you purchase.

-J

Edit: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-should-read-this.449563/page-2#post-13167751

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...you-own-a-tacoma-you-should-read-this.449563/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...n-switching-valve.381997/page-2#post-10516285

Unifilter: UP-107

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  5. Feb 2, 2024 at 5:27 AM
    smallboxgames

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Gray Tacoma Base
    You know, I didn't think to look inside the old pump. But, I had the burning smell in my cab, so I just figured it had burned out due to the filter.

I did do the uni-filter thing on the new pump.

Yeah, I'm guessing the valve is next. I cannot seem to find a video for pulling that part for my truck (I've got the i4, and all the videos I've been able to find are for the v6, and it's a different valve than what I have - those all have two valves and I just have a single valve).

But, looking at some different videos, is there any reason why I couldn't just pull the top part of the valve assembly off (it looks like it's 2 parts, with the top plate being held by 4 star bolts) and check from there without having to pull the entire valve assembly?

Thank you for the recommendation!

6. Feb 2, 2024 at 6:05 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    P0418 is a circuit problem not a valve problem, you need to check wiring, powers, and grounds to the Air Injection Driver and between the Air Injection Driver and PCM.

Products Discussed in

To Top