1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Saline Valley (DV) Thanksgiving week 11.19.2012-11.24.2012

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Mach375, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 [OP] Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    While I've been to Death Valley numerous times, I've never had the right truck to do Saline Valley the way it should be done. So while I've done plenty of research, and while I know DV pretty well, SV is still going to be a new place for me. Considering I'm taking my 4yo son and 11-month-old daughter with me, I want to make sure I'm fully prepared. I figured some of you have been there and can give me whatever info you think I might need for the trip. Tips, recipes, recent trail conditions or info, little-known hiking or driving trails, whatever you want to share with me I'd love to hear it.

The fam and I will be there Monday to Saturday of Thanksgiving week, inclusive; we might leave the house on Sunday. Our focus is the Saline Valley.
    Entering via my usual route from the south via Trona to the old superintendent's house (not on map). Show the fam the kilns, maybe tackle a bit of Wildrose Peak. Then head to Ubehebe lead mine, stopping in at a couple of the easier canyons near Stovepipe for some hiking. Go by the Racetrack on our way to and through Lippencot to get to Saline Valley. Couple days at the springs (including Turkeyday), exploring the wider area (like Cerro Gordo and the tramway). Then head up Steele Pass to get to Eureka Dunes. On our way out we'll stop by the bristlecone forest.
    Wednesday is my son's birthday, and Thursday is Turkeyday. Both of those I plan to celebrate at the springs.

I have no plans to visit Tourist Town (the major paved attractions at DV, like Badwater, Furnace Creek, etc.). Been there, done that -- seen it once, seen it enough.

I've been planning this awhile, so I've found some great info. Check out the following sites:
    http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/steelepass.html
    http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml
    http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

If any of you are going to be in the area at that time, let me know what your rig looks like- I'll try to keep my eyes out for ya.
    Mine: debadged Barcelona Red DCLB, ARB winch bumper with CB antenna on passenger's side, black billet grille, SnugTop shell with black rack on top (loaded with a half dozen fuel cans, a few water cans, and ammo boxes of all sizes), rolling on 255/85/16 KM2s on black teflon wheels (yet to purchase, but they'll be on by then). CB tuned to little-used channel 38.

Products Discussed in

To Top