1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Tactical Panda's Sometimes Funny Great White Money Pit Build and Observations on Life thread.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Tactical_Panda, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Jul 10, 2017 at 6:06 AM
    lpfe42

lpfe42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Santa Barbara County
    Vehicle:
    20 DCSB CEMENT
    5100/887 Icon uca
    Thanks I appreciate the response, I'll try it after work

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Jul 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda [OP] Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

tacoguy67, Casper66 and ChadsPride like this.
  3. Jul 22, 2017 at 5:04 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    Was up this morning at the butt-crack of dawn to get a few things done on the Tacomeister. They say "Make hay while the sun shines" but lately I try to make hay while the sun is NOT shining. It's been so bloody hot outside you can't hardly breathe, let alone work.

First up was to re-install the spare tire after the air tank installation. WOO HOO! It fits. The forward end of the tire just barely touches the tank but the two are not in conflict with each other. That's one worry out of the way.

Second was to install the air pressure gauge in the cab. I yanked out the coin tray at the lower right of the steering column and mounted it there. Perfect location.

20170722_074501.jpg

I also ordered Toyota part number 55548-04010-B0 which is the plastic cover that mounts into the same holes as the coin tray. This is the cover used on Tacomas with the manual hand brake.

IMG_4864.jpg

This is perfect. It trims out the area nicely yet leaves an opening for the air hose and the wires for the gauge light to pass through.

That will be it for today. Wifey and I will be having a little quality time with each other and the doggies this afternoon.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Wild Crow and ChadsPride like this.
  4. Jul 22, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lifelong commitment is not what everyone thinks it is. It's not waking up early every morning to make breakfast and eat together. It's not cuddling in bed together until both of you peacefully fall asleep. It's not a clean home and a homemade meal every day.

It's someone who steals all the covers or snores like a chainsaw. It's sometimes slammed doors, and a few harsh words, disagreeing, and the silent treatment until your hearts heal. Then...forgiveness!

It's coming home to the same person everyday that you know loves and cares about you, in spite of and because of who you are. It's laughing about the one time you accidentally did something stupid. It's about dirty laundry and unmade beds without finger pointing. It's about helping each other with the hard work of life. It's about swallowing the nagging words instead of saying them out loud.

It's about eating the cheapest and easiest meal you can make and sitting down together at 10 p.m. to eat because you both had a crazy day. It's when you have an emotional breakdown, and your love lays with you and holds you and tells you everything is going to be okay, and you believe them. It's when "Netflix and Chill" literally means you watch Netflix and hang out. It's about still loving someone even though sometimes they make you absolutely insane, angry, and hurt your feelings. Who loves you for fat or thin, happy or grumpy, young or old.

Living with the person you love is not perfect, and sometimes it's hard, but it's amazing, comforting, and one of the best things you'll ever experience.

20229023_1769047473105714_4126890056437674568_n.jpg

Next month it will be 32 years. Plus a six-year courtship prior to that. That is 38 years with the same person. More than half my life.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  5. Jul 23, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    Wild Crow

Wild Crow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Tim, that is the absolutely must truthful and beautiful post I've ever read on a truck forum. Congratulations!

6. Jul 29, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    My latest toy.

A belt holster for my cell phone made out of Kydex.

P1010019.jpg

Lord Helmet and ChadsPride like this.
  7. Jul 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    OK.

The Air Horns project is 99.999% complete! Pictures and details (and maybe a video with sound) coming soon. Only things left to do is connect some wires to light up the switches and the pressure gauge, and I seem to have a small air leak I need to track down and secure. Otherwise the horns are functional.

Stay tuned.

ChadsPride likes this.
  8. Aug 1, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    I figured out the air leak. It's actually coming from the compressor. I thought these ARBs had a built-in check valve but I guess not. New leader hose with a check valve is on the way. Should have it tomorrow.

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. Aug 2, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Air horns are done!

Collage.jpg

Lord Helmet and ChadsPride like this.
  10. Aug 3, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    An Imaginary Conversation Between God and St. Francis of Assisi on the subject of Lawn Care

God: Hey Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on Earth? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect "no maintenance" garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles.

St. Francis: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.

God: Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's temperamental with temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

St. Francis: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

God: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.

St. Francis: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it... sometimes twice a week.

God: They cut it? Do they then bail it like hay?

St. Francis: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.

God: They bag it? Oh, I see. It's a cash crop. Do they sell it for money to feed their families?

St. Francis: No Sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.

God: Wait. Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow and when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

St. Francis: Yes, Sir.

God: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

St. Francis: You are not going to believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.

God: What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life.

St. Francis: You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away too.

God: No. What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and to keep the soil moist and loose?

St. Francis: After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.

God: And where do they get this, this mulch?

St. Francis: They cut down trees and grind them up.

God: Enough. I don't want to think about this anymore. Oh good. Here comes St. Catherine; our patron of the arts. Hey Cathy, What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?

St. Catherine: "Dumb and Dumber", Lord. It's a real stupid movie about.....

God: Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  11. Aug 6, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    OK. I'm back from the Carlisle All-Truck Nationals. Didn't win a trophy but that's OK. There were a lot of nice trucks in my division and I'd rather lose to worthy competition than win because no one else showed up. Hung out with come cool Taco people from Connecticut and my dog Scooter was the Beau of the Ball.

20170805_103419.jpg

20170804_163724.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Lord Helmet, Wild Crow and ChadsPride like this.
  12. Aug 12, 2017 at 6:16 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Made an appointment to have Katzkins and seat heaters (or as my wife calls them, Bun Warmers) installed in the Taco. Stay tuned.

the.sight.picture and Wild Crow like this.
  13. Aug 12, 2017 at 6:18 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    BTW, that is T-Bone sitting on the motor. I have a Clifford the Big Red Dog stuffed toy for my Corolla when I'm at car shows and I have his friend T-Bone for my truck.

14. Aug 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    New Katzkins!

20170824_181110.jpg 20170824_181027.jpg 20170824_180945.jpg 20170824_180924.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  15. Aug 24, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Sub'd because of this awesome post Tim :thumbsup:

16. Aug 28, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Got the Center Console organizer and tray from @salex installed.

Console.jpg

Wild Crow likes this.
  17. Sep 4, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Only the U.S. Government could take something as simple as a plastic gasoline can and regulate it to the point of near unusability.

All gas cans sold after 2009 must be equipped with spill-proof vapor-proof pour spouts which usually require three hands to operate: One to hold the can, one to pull back the slide valve on the spout and one to aim the spout where you are pouring it.

20170904_110424.jpg

Then a couple weeks ago while browsing some YouTube videos I stumbled on a solution to this awkward problem in the form of the EZ-Pour Spout Replacement Kit. It seems that selling gas cans without the spill-proof spout is illegal but selling non-spill-proof spouts by themselves is not.

20170904_110438.jpg

The kit comes with a 6-inch flexible spout (with cap and spare cap), two screw rings (with different threads sizes) to screw the spout to the can and a vent opening since the spill-proof spouts have their own venting system.

20170904_110542.jpg

In my case neither of the screw rings fit the threads of my cans so I just used the original rings which worked nicely. Then you just drill a ½-inch hole in the can somewhere above the full line, pop the vent unit into the hole and you are all set.

20170904_111147.jpg

20170904_111233.jpg

20170904_112845.jpg

Pro tip: Install this when the can is empty. Then rinse it out with a small about of gasoline to wash out any plastic particles that may have fallen in when drilling the hole for the vent.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    gilligoon likes this.
  18. Sep 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    A little "Throwback Thursday" for you.

Here is my Supermodel Wife posing with my then-ride; a 1992 Mazda B2600i. This was taken about 1994 or so. I scanned this from a photograph so it is not razor sharp.

SandyMazda003.jpg

19. Sep 10, 2017 at 5:52 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Throwback, uh Sunday.

Stumbled upon this picture on the 'net. This is not the exact one, but my very first non-previously-owned car was exactly like this. A 1980 Dodge Colt (which was actually built for Dodge by Mitsubishi) with the Rally Sport package. Paid a whole $6000 for it.

It had a unique 8-speed manual transmission and two shift levers. One was a standard 4-speed shifter and the other was a lever for "Power" mode or "Economy" mode. You could put it in Power mode when zipping around town when you needed quick pick-up, and on the highway you could switch to Economy mode and increase the final drive ratio by 25% for better fuel economy.

Or you could do like I did and up-shift through all eight gears by throwing both sticks back and forth! I mastered the trick of throwing both shifters at the same time with one hand.

It also had a recently-innovated feature called a "silent shaft". It was like an extra camshaft that was counter weighted on one side and as it turned it offset the vibrations so inherent in 4-banger motors.

The scrappy little car got about 28mpg which was pretty good at the time and could do 0-60 in 11 seconds; 1/2 a second faster than a Porsche 924.

Too bad it fell apart at 85000 miles and got traded for a 4WD Subaru.

290824_278367098840433_1499501525_o.jpg

1980-dodge-colt-rs-3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    tacoguy67 likes this.
  20. Sep 14, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top