1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

same noise after new tires... Thanks alot mechanic!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by smbundy13, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mar 29, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    smbundy13

smbundy13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    this is a long post so please bear with me....

Ok, I decided to start a new thread because I am curious about this noise that I keep hearing.

The noise is an intermittent noise that is rythmic to the speed the truck is going. It sounds like a faint grinding sound and I can feel it in my drivers side floor board when I am driving.

My truck has made this noise before and I was told that the wheel bearing was going out. (front passenger side) had that bearing replaced on the dealership's dime but that didnt stop this noise. so, the dealership paid a toyota place to replace the passenger rear bearing.

well, down the road, I was having issues with my abs activating when I would slow to a stop and took it to a shop close to my office. They said that my rearend seals were leaking and that my rear brakes were garbage and that I had to replace bearings , seals, etc... so I had them do that (super expensive) and still had the stupid ABS problem.. I took the truck home on a day off from work and cleaned the ABS sensor and tone ring and voila! the ABS issue is fixed..

so, my truck was great at that point. then a couple weeks ago I slid up onto a curb off of a slick road and had to put my truck into 4wd to get back onto the road and going.. (because my rear tires were on the slick surface and had no traction).. Well, the same rythmic noise came back after I started back going.

took the truck to a different mechanic that I am currently using and they said that they heard noise coming from both rear bearings (the ones that were replaced by the expensive shop)... So, I took the truck back to the original shop because they have a 2 year warranty on all their work...

The guy there said that he put the truck on a lift and had the truck running all 4 tires and he didnt hear any noise from any of my bearings and that I had some unusual wear on all of my tires' inner tread.. and that they couldnt replicate the noise I described. I drove the truck with the mechanic in it and at first was unable to reproduce the noise. (which was frustrating)

Then the truck started making this noise and the mechanic said that it was the tires and the fact that my truck was probably out of alignement...

So, yesterday I got new tires installed and the truck aligned.. the truck is still making the same dang sound!

In the parking lot of work this morning I could tell the sound was coming from the rear (I think)...

Last night I greased the drivshafts because I had started to hear a little squeaking at low speeds (under 10mph) so I dont think that made any difference in the original noise I have been hearing..

I am going to drive the truck like this for a while until tax season is over then take the truck back to the original shop and wait there till they diagnose the problem..

any ideas as to what it could be?

details on the truck.. 03 double cab, 4x4, v6, 106k miles.

thanks very much for your help

2. Mar 29, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    forgot to add that the truck is completely stock..

3. Mar 29, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Have you looked at the wheel bearings?..

4. Mar 29, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    the wheel bearings are sealed are they not?... also, I have NOT looked at the bearings..

Products Discussed in

To Top