1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

San Antonio & S.Padre Island

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Toyota Truck, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Jun 25, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    What's going on TW. Iam planing a family vacation in JULY and we're gonna to South Padre Island and San Antonio. What's are some can't miss things/attractions to do in the two cities. Also What's a good hotel on the river walk with a balcony in San Antoino. Can't wait, first road trip with the tacoma. Thanks.

2. Jun 25, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    indycross

indycross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1981 FJ40 Land Cruiser, 2018 4Runner Limited; 2011 Tundra Crewcab 4WD
    Hi!

There are way too many things to list for San Antonio.(Alamo, Baseball games (minor leage.. sorry the Spurs are done!), shopping at La Cantera).

Two hotels that i would recommend on and close to the River Walk and malls would be the Valencia and the Grand Hyatt (Priceline.com for the Grand Hyatt).

Either way you need to go eat and drink (Top Shelf Margaritas) at Acenar which is right on the water and next to Hotel Valencia.... its a great place to unwind and turns into an upscale night club after hours.

South Padre - Well that's a beach town.. so the Beach, fishing may para sailing if your down for that . There are also places to rent jet skis right on the beach. It's pretty lax because its not spring break but some of the larger clubs like Senor Frogs may be open. The nightlife is nuts for sure!

Hope this helps!

3. Jun 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    Toyota Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Any one else have any more good ideas?

4. Jun 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    esizzle777

esizzle777 Son of Most High

Member:
    Laredo, TX
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    In San Antonio you have to eat at Alamo Cafe the best Mexican food you will EVER eat, there are 3 locations just google it and to find a map, go to Fiesta Texas or Sea World if you got kids. The Alamo is also kool plus Ripleys Believe it or not is right down the street. If you're single and want some fun at night head to Military Drive. Also just 30 min outside of San Antonio in New Braunfels is Schlitterbahn it was ranked America's #1 waterpark by the Travel Channel and believe me it lives up to its the hype.

5. Jun 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    SinodaG

SinodaG Member

Member:
    Edinburg, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Sport Long Bed
    K&N Filter 3" Tuff Country Sus. Lift
    San Antonio
    I highly recommend Fiesta Texas, don't get the tickets at the gate instead get it cheaper from HEB that is located in the corner of Wurzbach and I10. La Cantera Mall is just two blocks away from Fiesta Texas. The Alamo and River Walk are pretty good too, if you're with your wife or gf ride the boat. Clubs, Margaritas and drinks, their all over the River Walk. Hotels, reserve it online (hotels.com, expedia, visitsanantonio.com or orbits are a lot cheaper than walk-in)

S.P.I.
    I recommend Loui's Backyard at night; as far as restaurants, i highly recommend Dirty Al's, they got the best fish fry in SPI. You can also rent a dune buggy or a jeep 4X4, you can also go horseback riding.

Have fun and share pics if you can.

6. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM
    Toyota Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Any idea On how much to rent the dune buggy? Or maybe a address of the place?

7. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    They just finished redoing the Pearl Brewery as a nice resturaunt. I live in SA and have yet to get down there. It looks like a pretty cool place though.

http://www.pearlbrewery.com/

8. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    x2 Most of the restaurants ON the riverwalk are pricey and not very authentic. There are a few that are pretty good though. Alamo cafe is always an excellent dining choice.

9. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Go north of S.A. to Greune (pronounced Greene)

That town kicks ass! Eat at the Grist Mill. & go rafting down the Guadalupe River

10. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Dolores Del Rio on the River walk......the food is good (Italian) the music is usually really good & the belly dancer is AWESOME! :eek:

11. Jun 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Also excellent advice

If you (or your chick) are a fan of shopping you can hit the outlet malls in San Marcos as well.

12. Jun 29, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges

x2 - That place rocks

13. Jun 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    South party island:

SPI brewery fo sho! Try the pizza with grilled quail, feta, and artichoke hearts! There's also a Schlitterbahn waterpark and plenty of other crap to do. I usually take the Island Princess (located @ Jims pier) - $15 for a 4 hour bayside fishing trip. Not sure if it's still open though, its been a while. I dont recommend going down to beach access points 5 or 6 after dark, it's pretty dangerous out there. Also if you are there the weekend of the 4th expect a 2 to 3 hour wait to cross the bridge.

14. Jun 30, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    I live here on the island so we should definitely meet up or something lol. Well there are lots of things to do here on the island. As far as the dune buggy rentals, you cant miss it. It is on the right side of the road when you are driving down our one main street lol. Course there are a couple dune buggy places but they are all on the right side of the road I believe. If you come down while I am working I can hook it up with a free umbrella and chairs on the beach for the day, it usually runs about 30 bucks but for a fellow TW member; my treat lol. We also have some bungie jump stuff and a couple go kart tracks, mini golf and stuff like that. The island is about 30 miles long and 22 miles, I think, is drivable on the beach. It is illegal to drive up on the dunes, killing vegitation, but only if you get caught lol. Whenever you are down PM me or something and I can give you more info on stuff to do.

15. Jul 6, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    Toyota Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Any other good ideas?

16. Jul 6, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    I don't think the river has much water in it right now.

17. Jul 6, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    My brother just got back from floating the Comal River so that river has water in it. It is in New Braunfel.
    For the river walk. I would say to stay at the Westin. I have stayed there 2 times and it has been great both time.

To Top