1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

San Diego tools/equipment sharing

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by will_smith, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Sep 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM
    will_smith

will_smith [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR MT
    Would anyone be interested in creating a program where we share tools temporarily?
    Each member would list only the tools they'd be okay sharing. E.g. I may have a 3D printer and a screwdriver but I don't want share my printer because it's expensive AF.

The idea behind this being people not wanting to spend the $ on a tool they use sparingly or they have limited space in their apartment. Ideally, the tool(s) would be used at the owner's location unless approved otherwise as we probably don't want oil changes in the middle of a busy street, etc.

I'll be first to admit I don't have much, I'll add more later when I'm home:
    18v cordless drill
    grease gun
    car ramps
    oil drain pan
    oil filter wrench
    *edit
    code reader
    a lot of allen wrenches
    meatcleaver 22" hammer

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    themuffinman619 likes this.
  2. Sep 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    That would be cool and all, but the problem with that is sometimes people need to use a tool but don't admittedly know how to use it and things get abused.

It's a good idea but kind of hard to regulate.

3. Sep 7, 2017 at 11:51 PM
    SDmtnbkr

SDmtnbkr Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    Yeah I'd have to agree.... on one hand it would be nice to borrow someones wheel bearing puller, but on the other hand I don't buy cheap tools, so all my hand tools are snap on or other high end equipment that I have been acquiring for the last 15 years. I don't think I'd feel comfortable lending a $200+ torque wrench to someone that isn't a close friend that I know, knows how to use it.

Maybe a better idea would be to start a help collective? Like a thread where people ask for help doing things and others offer their time and space/tools to help others? I live in an apartment with a small garage (doesn't fit a car, it's more of a workshop) and driveway, but if someone that lives in an apartment that only has a parking space needs to do an oil change or anything that doesn't require anything crazy, they could use my driveway and tools. I wouldn't mind that.... but I don't plan on listing all the tools that I have in my garage on the internet, unless you also want me to list all the guns I have in my house, to protect said tools :infantry::oldglory:

4. Sep 8, 2017 at 3:01 AM
    2nd2none

2nd2none Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro. Lifted, rims, tires, yada yada yada
    Back when I owned a WRX the local group would often have mod days. I forget the exact term they used but it was a day that they scheduled for people to get together at someone's house and they helped each other doing mods to their cars.

5. Sep 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    will_smith

will_smith [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR MT
    I totally agree, hence my crude example of "3D printer and screwdriver." If I don't want someone using a really expensive tool like a jackass, I don't list it. Plus it seems a lot of TW members know each other and their mad skills...maybe that helps.

"Maybe this thread can turn into both a help collective?" - From my perspective this is already being done. Lots of good people post mods and their how-to guides already. With my minimal space (and HOA rules), I wouldn't want someone performing an oil change in my garage.

What I see in my head is: a TW user PMs another user and states "I would like to perform X on my truck and I would need to use X tools and will need X amount of time." Owner of tools questions person doing the maintenance and approves/doesn't approve.

6. Sep 8, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    I'm all for trade work.. You use some of my tools in exchange for letting me use some of yours. Only thing is, I have a lot of the stuff needed anyways at that point it would be pretty much be rent it for beer or stripper money haha.

For the rest of you guys though it would be good just like you said, mainly for space reasons in which case someone would bring the tools or be there to use them as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top