1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SAS TIME

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yotanation29, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Does the sump face the front of the truck? Picture of said oil pan. And if you have a v8 YOU NEED A DANA 60. PERIOD

2. Aug 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    yotanation29

yotanation29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ADRIEL
    CHULA VISTA
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD
    all pro upper a arms, icon extended travel 3", bumper cb, clarion nav, and much more to come!!
    I have pics on my build page, and I will be using 14" travel coil overs With a three link kit, not standard shocks, to make up for the extra weight of the v8, some of my avid off roading Toyota drivers gave me that idea.

3. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    i would agree, if you have a V8 i would not bother with the weak 44 (hell the early toyota front axle is better then a 44 stock for stock)
    get either 60s or build up some ford9s

4. Aug 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    yotanation29

Member:
    First Name:
    ADRIEL
    CHULA VISTA
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD
    all pro upper a arms, icon extended travel 3", bumper cb, clarion nav, and much more to come!!
    I'm planning in using a tg or ruff stuff one, I keep changing my mind, but leaning more torwards a ruff stuff cuz I know a guy that works there

5. Aug 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
    Even with the V8 the 44 will be ok depending on tire size and driving style. Toyota axles if built can handle 38-42s, granted you break stuff often but your always going to break stuff.

6. Aug 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Okay.. the housing isn't a complete axle. It's not even a 3rd of an axle. You still need all the guts and outer shit.... :confused:

No. I break with a 44 with my 150 HP engine. Everyone has different wheeling styles but in order to wheel hard and save money and headaches and bull shit time wrenching on the trail and at home you go with a D60. D60's HARDLY ever break. They are designed to be put under 8k pound 350 HP trucks. OP will 100% absolutely need a D60. It's FOOLISH not to run one. For the price you pay to build a D60 is cheaper than a D44.

A 100% COMPLETELY built with top notch parts of a D44 are not as strong as a STOCK d60.

7. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    yotanation29

Member:
    First Name:
    ADRIEL
    CHULA VISTA
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD
    I already have the inners, outlets, third, hubs and brakes for the axle, now I just need te actual housing and a hi steer kit

8. Aug 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    P_Tree

P_Tree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995 1/2 Tacoma
    Custom plate bumper Trail Gear sliders/rear bumper Magnaflow exhuast Warn M8000 Winch Rocklights 8" Hella Fogs Cargo Bed Basket Tint 35 12.5 KM2s SAS Swap CB and PA Hids 8k highs and lows Fogs 12 inch alpine sub Spec intake Blacked out Grill, Emblems, etc...
    Go dana 60 supra is right 100% this coming from someone who has a 44 and is swaping to a 60. i break on 35s and on my new 40s. actually less on the 40s but its super annoying.... just some advice man

9. Aug 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    For a D60?

If you need a housing, get a ruffstuff. Absolutely top notch quality.

Exactly. I will make the move to a D60 when the money is right :cool:

10. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 33's,armor,crawler,dents, ect. 2020 Gladiator
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    Keep im mind that if you switch to passenger drop a ,doubler will not only be far farcheaper but you can ditch the POS stock chain driven case.Without dropping 2k on a lefty.

11. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    I disagree. It depends on your driving style. I know someone in a light CJ who would disagree with that. Last trip he broke a knuckle, a cromoshaft and a dana300. The trip before that it was a ring gear. While a Heavy 4door JK with a dana 30 and 37s went through the same trail with no carnage. I would prefer a 4.7 and a built 44 to a heavy right foot anyday.

Depending if you belive a controled shop test compared to real life...
    [​IMG]
    http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Reviews/Longfield/Longfield.htm

12. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Not trying to be a jerk, but if you dont know which axle you need to run. Or at least what size... You will probably be just fine with a toyota axle. It can be a pain to narrow shit and need custom steering. While if you just go with the yota axle there will be a lot more plug and play options. More used parts availible a passenger drop will give u much cheaper tcase options.

13. Aug 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    This isn't even the same scenario. We aren't retarded jeeps. That's fine if you disagree, but you are wrong. EVERYONE That has used a D44 first for SAS has regretted it. There is not one person that swaped a D44 and later didn't want to upgrade it because it's fragile environment.

Why the fuck would you wheel lightly? You converted a truck that has weak suspension components in the front to be able to beat the shit out of it on the trail. I try to wheel lightly and so far I have had VERY few problems. But every single time I am wheeling I am always worried about breaking. I fail trails because I am worried if I push it too hard it will break. With a D60 I could literally right foot to the ground all day, full lock, full stuff, bouncing, hoping. All I am going to do is tear mother earth right up and my tires.

A 4.7 crawl box will make everything worse on your drive-train. The low gear ratio / torque ratio is insane. There is way more torque going through your truck than you want on a 1/2 ton components.

I too, am not trying to be a jerk. I am telling you real life facts that I have experienced and the hundreds of fellow SAS toyota's have experienced. Go to Pirate4x4 and tell them you will be fine with a D44 and a V8, I dare ya ;)

As far as your Toyota axle comment goes, there is no plug and play when it comes to a SAS. And honestly running a Toyota axle requires more work than just using a driver drop Dana axle.

Until you convert your own truck, wheel it however many times to it's limits, then IMO you can make assumptions on people being fine.

:cheers:

14. Aug 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    thegame

thegame Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Folsom, CA
    I know a bunch of people who haven't regretted it. Who are you?

Why did you have a shop put a D44 in your truck in the first place?

Sure, the torque is much higher but you are also traveling slower at a more controlled pace. What breaks shit is rock bouncing then sudden shock loads. If you install 4.7's, it's assumed you won't be hitting full throttle assaults in 5th gear to try and "wheel" up an obstacle. You are also able to have a much better feel for when the truck is binding up so you can ease up before stuff breaks. Do you always talk out of your ass? Because you speak like everyone in the offroading community wheels like you do. Quit trying to be internet badass :rolleyes:

I feel I can make these remarks because I used to own a 98 Taco with a D44 up front and a 4.7 crawl box on 37's with 2 lockers. I also know personally, a couple dozen people who have D44's or similar 1/2 ton equipment that are happy with what they have. The wheeling out here in CA is quite a bit different than southern style wheeling.

15. Aug 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Slower speeds? I had no clue how a crawl box worked, thank you. Shit does break when you rock bounce there is no doubt. I have seen shit break when people put it in low range and they are so bound up it happens, its called TRACTION. As soon as they throttled, "pop".

I never talk out of my ass, though you can gladly come kiss it if you like. I tell shit how it is, and until you really realize that, then you aren't a wheeler. Everyone wheels different, but pretty much all come to the same conclusion and that's conquering the trail.

You always claim you use to have a SAS truck, yet no pictures or any other facts you have to back up the truck. Who are you? The community that love the D44 are the jeep people. Since half of their trucks come with the D30 which is a lousy axle. Of course they love the D44, it's just like us switching to a D60. :rolleyes:

As far as wheeling out in CA (or out west) is way different. Midwest wheeling is more difficult due to no traction, however with no traction = longer lasting parts. Shit holds up in the MW way better than out there. It's pretty hard to break anything if your wheel can never get traction. If there was ever a time to need a stronger axle, out west would be EXACTLY where it is needed.

16. Aug 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    If you actually wanna wheel the piss outa your truck...D60 or dont bother.

If you just wanna be SA to be cool...D44.

17. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

This is what I've been told as well (Dana 44), & I wish I'd kept my '83 straight axle

18. Aug 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    alove0750

alove0750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4
    Icon coilovers, shocks and springs SPC Upper Control Arms SCS Ray 10’s w/ 265/70R17 BFG KO2’s Leer 100XR shell
    Yota axles all the way :cool:

19. Aug 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    thegame

thegame Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Folsom, CA
    I'm just speechless at your reply, it's making me laugh. You've spent far too much time lurking on Pirate and adopted their attitude towards newbie type questions (this place is full of them). Keep acting like Mr. Internet Tough guy ;)

Here is my old truck. And for the record, I still think a Dana 44 is a good starting point for a Tacoma and someone just getting into it. Not everyone NEEDS to swap a D60 in right off the bat, like you are pushing.

Here is my last Tacoma, axle swapped in 2004 with a pretty much stock Wagoneer 44 and had stock axles the entire time I owned it. Drove it to Moab once to wheel then drive home, Arizona once to wheel then drive home and numerous trips to the Rubicon and similar trails in the Sierra and Socal. All of those trips were with dual cases and 2 lockers and drove home every single time. Once on the Rubicon with no front locker and no crawl box. I am telling you first hand (since I had one ;) ), you can feel when the truck is binding up and if you want to break stuff, keep going. There is A LOT more technical control with a crawl box, but you'll never understand since the type of wheeling you do is far too hardcore for that :brianr:

262506881_l.jpg
    234257_121_full.jpg
    234257_125_full.jpg
    234257_131_full.jpg
    234257_132_full.jpg
    aibsized.jpg
    IMG_5046.jpg
    Picture317.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg

20. Aug 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Nice pics !! & you guys can argue all ya want...:D All I know is I just love this 2000 & hope to achieve....

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top