1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

scan gauge or ultra gauge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flafos, Mar 11, 2015.

1. May 8, 2015 at 8:56 PM
    Fury

Fury Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all.

I made a block of wood (and painted it black) for the cubby below the heater controls. I then velcro'd my ScanGuage 2 to the wood. I had no problem getting the trans temp working and have been running the unit for over 2 years - love it ! Another added benefit is not having to put the truck in trans temp. detection mode when checking the trans fluid level. (I found mine 0.4 liters low from the factory - no biggie as it still shifted good - but I now know it is correct)

I made the same type of wood setup and screwed my modded GPS windshield mount to it so it sits in the cubby just in front of my ScanGuage (after removing the 2 cup holders).

Cheers
    Ray.

2. May 9, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I just Velcro'd my UG to the top of the steering column, doesn't block anything there.

Were it that I needed trans temp I'd have probably gone Scangauge. I just mainly use the fuel readings so I don't need to scan through..plus if needed I can rock the UG forward on the Velcro to hit a button without removing it. Plus I got mine used at a good price.

3. May 29, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    Nkyirish

Nkyirish Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Trd sport 2014
    . Any updates on how you like the ultra gauge mx?

4. May 29, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    JimNH

JimNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    2009 White Dbl Cab, SR5, Tow Pkg, 138K and counting
    Kenwood bluetooth double din head unit trailer brake controller K-Z sportsmen classic 16RBT travel trailer!
    Yes...all installed in the lower left corner of the windshileld with suction cup mount. Works great. I figured out how to get trans temp and I love the instantaneous mileage readout. I am very happy with it! I like the large display with 6 or 8 readouts all at the same time.

5. May 29, 2015 at 6:56 PM
    Scamper

Scamper Active Member

Member:
    Soggy NW
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner in Spruce Mica and Leer canopy
    Search the posts I've made under Scamper (less than a dozen) and in them you'll find one that lists the ScanGauge II codes for a 2013 auto trans. Sorry to put you through that, but I'm on my phone....

6. Jun 30, 2015 at 6:45 PM
    pruchai

pruchai KAMA3

Member:
    First Name:
    Igor
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD TX Baja
    Not enough...
    Sorry to bump the thread

I have SGII and its OK. Had it for about a year and not really impressed with it.

First, I hate the part where if you don't wait until your tank is empty to fill up it completely screws up your consumption readings (Tank to Empty, in particular), so you have to re-calibrate it again. I mean, how hard is it to calculate how much fuel you have from the previous fill-up plus whatever you just put in?

Second, the Trips feature is kinda backwards. I don't give a shit what I did yesterday. I want do know what I did on the last tank of gas, and the one before that.... and the one before that. But it lacks this, and lacks memory.

Third, I would like to have an ability to download the data to compare/graph/whatever, but again, there is no way to do it.

I am now researching a way to use an old phone permanently mounted in the truck and one of those WiFI/Bluetooth ODBII readers to replace SGII. But there are multiple hurdles that I am yet to solve - On/Off (or rather sleep/wake) with ignition is somewhat possible, but not too reliable. Also, if the truck sits in the garage for a week while I am out of town, the phone battery will drain (even in sleep mode) and it not immediately power on when I start the truck after a week. It also takes time for the phone to connect to the sensor, etc. If someone has any suggestions on how to seamlessly replace SCII with a phone, I am open to ideas.

7. Jun 30, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I have the ultragauge. Functionally it's fine, to me it looks nicer than the scan gauge and shows more info. However the buttons suck ass on it. Once I set it up I don't mess with it, but the buttons on the scan gauge are much better.

Here is mine mounted with the sticky mount.

6B787A21-651D-46C1-AE9D-481A3D50D32A_c1303d04372cec33d10afb0c059702d669ea41f3.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top