1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

scangauge/ultragauge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BJohn, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Mar 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    BJohn

BJohn [OP] Member

Member:
    Have been reading some of the posts on the scangauge/ultragauges and was wondering as I have been towing some lately how do these gauges show MPG as when towing? Can they be used for finding a better speed at which to obtain the best MPG while towing? And which one would be best for this use? Thanks

2. Mar 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    They can. They get the reported mpg from the ecu, then calibrate it based on your actual fillup data. They will give instant and average ECUs.

I have only used the scangauge so all my information is based on that, but I've heard the ultragauge is cheap and good as well. The main disadvantage I see spoken about is it is quite a bit slower to update than the scangauge. The main advantages I see is a more modern look and cheaper price.

3. Mar 13, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    fratermus

fratermus Active Member

Member:
    I think the UG update rate varies based on the ECU it's talking to. There's a little "heartbeat" indicator that changes on every ECU update.

On my Mazda sedan it updates about once every .8 seconds or so. Too slow to use as a tach for finding shiftpoints in realtime but fine for everything else. I actually bought it to use in whatever Taco I eventually buy in order to maximize MPG.

To the OP: the SG has a long and well-deserved good reputation. The UG is [much] cheaper but is basically a leap of faith at this point. I have read of no failures so far but there is no reliability history to look back on.

4. Mar 13, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  5. Mar 13, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Save some money and get an Ultragauge. Like the other guy said, it doesn't update fast enough to be used for tuning, but if you're looking for MPG changes when towing, it's more than adequate. It also displays a whole bunch of other things going on with your engine (temps, etc). So far mine is spot on after the calibration. It took about 20 minutes to set-up and install with all the wires hidden.

6. Mar 13, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    JHTreyIII

JHTreyIII Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    ToyTec ULK, ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, All Pro Rear Bumper and Sliders, K&N Intake, TRD Exhaust, Wet Okoles, 285/75/16 MT Kevlars, All Pro U-bolt Flip w/ Timbren Stops, OME Dakar leaf packs, Spidertrax Spacers
    X2 ^^^

The Ultra Gauge is perfect for your purpose. It's cheaper and updates plenty fast for your application.

[​IMG]

7. Mar 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    BJohn

BJohn [OP] Member

Member:
    good deal, that is the info I was looking for,Thanks

8. Mar 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    ubtow

ubtow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011' PreRunner Sport
    Debadged, Viper Alarm w/Remote start, Pro Laser Radar Jammers, Reverse Sensors, Tinted, WeatherTech Digital Floor mats F&R, Wet Okole Seat Covers F&R, Retrax Bed Cover, HID's.
    @ JHTreyIII....How did you mount that under the A/C controls? Looks good!

9. Mar 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    JHTreyIII

JHTreyIII Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    ToyTec ULK, ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, All Pro Rear Bumper and Sliders, K&N Intake, TRD Exhaust, Wet Okoles, 285/75/16 MT Kevlars, All Pro U-bolt Flip w/ Timbren Stops, OME Dakar leaf packs, Spidertrax Spacers
To Top