1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

scare of a lifetime

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pat's taco, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    pat's taco

pat's taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    Weathertech, ECG Fabrication retro grille, K&N intake, Magna flow dual, UWS low profile toolbox, NFAB & 30" light bar bumper, Spidertrax. 1.25, Mob Amour, XSP-X package
    first off let me start by saying hi to everyone, i haven't been on in a good while. well i've been on vacation all week. i went to daytona,fl and did some surfing down there. it was ok, actually great because where i live the surf has been real flat for the last 2 months. anyway we got back home and i looked at our local surf report and there was actually some nice waist to chest sets. so me and the wife decide to go out. we walked down the beach and found a really nice sand bar with a good break. my wife is not a surfer but i've been teaching her. well she had actually caught and stood up for the first time ever. i was really happy for her and she was very excited. she paddled back out to me and i was looking for her next set when i noticed not 1 but 2 black fins. my stomach just dropped( lots of bull sharks were we live, first thing came to my mind). they had to be only 20 to 25 yards away. my wife didn't see them. i told her we should go back in and get a drink, but she was so excited she wanted to stay. i didn't want to scare her, but she really wanted to stay out. so then i told her and just as that happened 1 fin popped up kinda coming back towards us. she freaks the hell out splashing alot while trying to paddle back in. well we didn't get eatin, but while on shore we noticed that there were a few more fins in a little area. needless to say we didn't surf anymore that day. but i've been surfing for 15 years and never encountered a shark, yeah it was a ways out but still close enough to scare the living hell out of me....... plus it was shark week on discovery go figure..........just thought i would share

2. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Glad it all turned out ok. Do you think she will get back in the water? Hope it didn't ruin it for her. While vacationing in Florida we saw a few sharks and now my girl won't go and swim in anything above knee deep.

3. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    06 silver double cab 4x4
    seconday air filter removal, tw sticker afe pro dry s filter , black rims , cb radio with four foot firestik antenna,black nasta nerf bars,5100's in the rear,mp3 player hookup,led overhead light,5100's up front @ 1.75, rear AAL,custom dent package,blacked out rear bumper, blacking out front grille,camo gt seat covers , 6k HIDs, 6k fogs coming, devil horns grille mod,elite offroad aluminum bumper,Canadoshi grille mod.light bar behind the grille with bright lights coming sooner or later
    :eek::eek::eek:glad you have all your fingers left to type up the story. Scary as hell I am sure.

4. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    Ese Loco

Ese Loco Taco Man Sam

Member:
    Vero Beach, FL / Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4 V6 6-speed
    Legal Florida Tint all-around, 1.5" add-a-leaf, bilstein 5100 rear shocks, Light Racing Coilovers, Removed secondary air filter, K&N airfilter, Amsoil 100% synthetic motor oil, Amsoil synthetic severe gear in rear differential, Differential breather mod, Painted rims and logo's black, amsoil oil filter
    haha they're out there, thank god it all turned out ok, i know how it feels. don't let it scare her too much, just tell her they're more afraid of you then you are of them.

5. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    I guarded for 4 years and, without fail, Shark Week always made everyone a little on edge. We couldn't stop watching, but it definitely added some fear to the job.

Closest scary shark experience I had wasn't even a dangerous situation. Morning workout was underway and we were all heading to the water to swim out to our buoy 150 yards offshore. One of the guards commented about a seagull trying to land on the buoy and we all looked up in time to see a shark jump out of the water to try to catch it. We all stopped, looked at each other, and the boss said "Ok, looks like we're running today!" :D

Glad you and your wife are safe. Hope you have less company the next time the waves are in!

6. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    eek! Glad you didnt become human sashimi.

7. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    usctacoma

usctacoma Be a thinker, not a stinker

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Doublecab
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
    But dad, its shark week

8. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    They are there, always, you just don't see them. Rommate in college pulled a record 750 lb tiger shark onto the beach near mouth of Tinity River in Texas. The people swimming nearby FREAKED OUT. THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE. I stopped even going into the oceans any more - they are toxic soups of bacteria and liquid waste.

9. Aug 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Scary... I hope your wife doesn't shy away from going surfing again because of that incident.

10. Aug 10, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    phynyx38

phynyx38 Believe

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma PreRunner
    I think I would have freaked out, glad everything was Ok.

11. Aug 10, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    Niknaq

Niknaq Phightin Phils 2008 Champs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4wd 2.7L Regular Cab
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.
    yes they are! To share a story of my own with you guys.

One day the family and I took a tiny road trip to Boca Grande (about two hour drive north) and the water was absolutely perfect and clear and it was a beautiful day at the beach. For some reason that day you could walk out 100 yards into the water and still touch the bottom with your feet so thats what I did. My dad started yelling "SHARK,SHARK" to me from the shoreline but I ignored it because my dad messes like that all the time. I didnt believe him.

The next day in OUR local paper on the front page was an ariel shot from a helicopter of the same beach where we were and in the picture there was approx. 150 hammerhead sharks(mating?). I didnt go in the water for 3 months after I saw that.

12. Aug 10, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    Weathertech, ECG Fabrication retro grille, K&N intake, Magna flow dual, UWS low profile toolbox, NFAB & 30" light bar bumper, Spidertrax. 1.25, Mob Amour, XSP-X package
    i'm not scared nor was i at the first moment i saw them. i stayed calm and tried to make our way back , so it didn't freak her out anymore than she already was and not to give them anyreason to come closer. i will be back out probably later this week again. as for my wife i'm not sure , she is a trooper i'm sure she will go back as well. i know they are out there, it's just that i never see them.

13. Aug 11, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    UPDATE KINDA: so i did some research about that little sand bar i was surfing. come to find out thats pretty much a bull shark breeding hole, who would have guess. anyway just thought i would share again

14. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i've heard sandbars are a bad idea since lots of sharks feed and hang out at them. just out of curiosity what did you do when she started panicking and splashing? i think i would have gotten pretty mad

15. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    Incognito

Incognito μολὼν λαβέ

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    See Build thread
    Love that movie. :D
    X2!
    Glad everything turned out ok! :)

16. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX/ Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5
    2007: Avid sliders, 30% front tint, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, blisten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scanguage, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload
    Glad everything turned out okay! These shark week shows are enough to make me never want to go surfing.

17. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    move to san diego and not worry about sharks! just jelly fish and stingrays.... and great surf!

18. Aug 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    On a kharma kinda note........If you play around in something's dinner plate, like the ocean, woods or swamps, don't eat shark meat or alligator meat or bear. That way maybe nothin bad'll eat ya when kayak/canoeing/water skiing or surfing or mt bike ridin. I have had a couple of way too close encounters out surfing before too. Glad it was only that for you & school the wife on what draws their attention. Teach her the art of invisibility, lol.

To Top