1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scary problem when accelerating from parked

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 900, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    That's what I was thinking. I've had something lock up when the truck sat overnight after washing it and had the exact "bam!" sound after giving it enough gas to break it free. I figured it had to do with the brake rusting...but it only happened that one time (I try to make a habit of driving a bit after washing now.) I've read here the same thing can happen when the truck sits all ay after launching a boat.

2. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    mixaro

mixaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    maine
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma ext cab, 2011 trail edition 4 runner, 2013 tx baja dcsb
    02 ext cab cat-back exhaust, k&n replacement filter, 5100 billy's, hellcreek 1.5" rear spring packs, 882 OME coils, Toytec 2" AAl, stainless brake lines, Light Racing UCA, 1" diff drop, BPV bracket, 4" deck plate mod, 886 fog light backup light mod, tom woods one piece drive shaft, spider trax 1.25 spacer.
    my old 99 did the same thing and it just ended up being low on fluid. how it got low is beyond me but once i filled it back up, poof the problem was gone. So glad i have a 5 speed now, they are way easier to work on.

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Ya mine does this sometimes after I wash it too, but you can tell atleast I can, that it feels like the brake is being held on. I know what you mean though there is a clunk. You can still feel it go in gear though. Also he is in a 1st gen. I think that is mostly a 2nd gen problem. I think the OP is saying its not even going in gear and then all of a sudden it goes in gear. Deff check fluid level 1st before doing anything major OP.

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Skillet

Skillet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Palmdale,Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma prerunner 3.4 auto trans trd,
    Trd edition,black powdercoated wheels,king Coils front, king double bypass rear, k&n cai, jba headers,borla exhuast,optima batt,xenon hid,crystal headlights,rewired entire car to four guage wiring on big stuff alt starter etc.,alpine screen,focal honeycomb components,JL four channel amp,dynamated entire inside of truck and hoodliner,limo tint all rear windows,LEDs everywhere possible dome light, tails,fronts,04 tailights,
    Mine did that forever until I rebuilt my back brakes, the drums
    on these trucks have springs holding onto the rear brakepads and they can fall off causing a pad to stick and let go, spend a couple hours figuring out you rear brakes and readjust them correctly very little to slight drag is good Im 99% sure it's you're rear brakes everyone thought I had tranny issues as well but after a year of research found my rears were the issue. Seems like nobody barely does they're rear brakes and that's why many don't fix this issue, most sell there truck over this simple fix... When you fix it you'll be laughing about how simple a fix( when you pull you're drums off be looking for parts to fall right out! Good luck!

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

900 [OP] New Member

Member:

This might be a bingo. A few months back, maybe four or five, I replaced my front rotors and pads with slotted Powerstops and Hawks because of fade in the stock discs. When I brought it into *Brake Masters* :) to get the install done, they mentioned the problem of front fade might be due to overcompensation for the rear drums. Sure enough, when I came back they told me I had a rear axle seal leak that was spraying oil on the drums, and from what I gather, lubricating the shoes. Dealer wanted $1,000.00 to repair this broken seal because "they have to take the whole axle apart and it's labor-intensive" Really? Again, this was not mentioned at all by the second dealer (different one I took it to for last minor service a couple weeks ago).

Add that to the fact (I think) that the parking brake works with the rear drums (or one of them, maybe the problem one) and the fact that I use my parking brake all the time (hence my naming of it, not "emergency" brake) and it only seems to work well within a week or so of a service, then starts getting stiff and hard to engage again.

I am going to seriously curtail using the e-brake, which I will now refer to it as. I will only use it on hills. Also, I will replace the rear drums. If both of these do not fix the problem, maybe by then I'll finally have a gas-sipper as my daily driver like I've been meaning to do for a year now. I can average around 20-25 mpg (thanks, scangauge!) with my driving habits and mods, but a Corolla's 40 mpg is just to damn good to ignore with prices soaring by the week at this time of year :(

Thanks to all who have left feedback to this issue, I will check back soon.

6. Feb 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    fratermus

fratermus Active Member

Member:
    I've heard frozen parking brake on drums make a "crack" sound when releasing under force.

7. Mar 1, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    Ok I had a similar problem once, I unplugged my e locker from its power source and the jolting quit

8. Mar 1, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Sounds like it could be a few things: Low fluid, possibly but from my experience with low fluid the tranny will engage but a gradual slipping into gear was more the symptom than any kind of sudden lurching into gear, my guess is sticky purge valve or check valve (not sure if theres a anti-reversing valve) if fluid level is fine & you are allowing it to engage properly (have no reason to assume your not) I'd do a complete tranny flush, hopefully your torque converter isn't signing off....good luck ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top