1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scheduled Maintenance (2nd gen) - 30,000 - 60,000 - 90,000 miles

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by harshest, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Devildoc

Devildoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lincoln, California
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue off road
    Running board, K&N air filter, Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 on ProComp 7089(285/70/17), 3" front lift and 1.5" AAl rear, all with bilstein 5100's with Eibach spring, 1/2 spacer in driver side and 1/4 spacer on the passenger, Wicked Flow exhaust, Debadge
  2. kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here, there, and everywhere
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    If you look at how the service schedule is worded its time or miles, whichever comes first.

3. HB Taco

HB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I'd say brake fluid and filters as part of 15k service. I dont think spark plugs are necessary yet, they dont go bad from age just mi IMO. Has it been in storage? that could factor in. Tires could be cracking too?

4. Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS New guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    The manual states that services should be performed to whatever comes first, mileage, or months for the stated service.

If the truck is 6 months old, but has 15,000 miles on it, you perform the 15k service, not the 5k/6month services.

If the truck is 48 months old, but has 10,000 miles on it, you perform the 40k/48 month service, as opposed to the 10k/12 month.

If you haven't done your 30k service at 6 years old, it's probably time (mandatory by the manual's standards).

I would probably do a full 30,000 or 60,000 mile service, with plugs, filters (air, cabin, oil), and maybe the rear diff.

5. forealz

forealz Active Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    Tires are new, the BFG were rotting. Got some LTX MS2s.
    It was part of a fleet before I got it from Carmax.

Ok, I think I can do rear diff and oil myself. I've got a new cabin filter in and a Pro Dry filter in myself. I might need Toyota to do the plugs and re-torquing and checking the U joints and stuff.

Really appreciate responses guys.

6. theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport DC
    Tailgate Anti-Theft Weathertechs Wet Okoles TW Sticker! Pop N Lock Handle TonnoPro Tri-folding cover
    Great consolidation OP!

7. TheITguy

TheITguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport SR5
    I just made my last payment on my 2008 Tacoma 4x4.

And I only just put new front brakes on them and new tires a few months ago. (bought used tires for 1 year to get by.

I have only ever just changed the oil and not regularly.

I plan on doing almost everything now (not through a dealer) some myself, some through a mechanic just to make her feel "fresh" again.

She deserves it!

8. chipnoreo

chipnoreo Where is the snow?

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Fox Mid-Travel TRD Sport BSP 4x4 AC
    Fox 2.5 COs W/ TC UCAs + Fox 2.0 RR rears W/ Dakars, Brute Force Fab Sliders, BHLM, auto start, Redline hood struts, AVS bug deflector, thin lip satoshi, behing the grill 20in lightbar, cobra 29 CB, interior awesomness
    Just hit 90k.... Should probably get on this!

9. NightShades

NightShades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Bug Deflector, Bed Extender, Roof Racks
    So... Going by the guide, I know I am missing some maintenance items... When does it call for the Coolant to be changed?

Anything else that should be done at 90,000 miles?

10. Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Spring City,PA soon to be Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    Coolant is 100k, 90k is Front n rear diff oil, transfer case oil, engine oil, spark plugs, MT fluid, torque all nuts n bolts, and air filter.

11. WarrenH

WarrenH Member

Member:
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    V6, Long Bed, TRD Sport
    I'm at 30,000 and had a free standard maint from the dealer, so they took care of the basics. I'm not 100% sure what needs done above and beyond this.

I've gone from the official Maintenance log.

I changed the spark plugs and rear differential oil. I haven't Lubed propeller shaft or re torqued the shaft bolt yet (I know that needs done).

The rest of the items on the list say "inspect" or are in the special operating conditions section. I've pulled a very light trailer with a couple dirt bikes and have very little off road use (in fact, just dirt roads at that not 4WD stuff). Seems like I wouldn't have to worry about the special operating section. I'm curious how a dealer handles the special operating conditions service items. Do they only do it if they think it has been used to tow or offroad, or do they do it regardless?

How do you inspect the front differential oil and transfer case? Pop the top bolt, check fluid level, and if the oil looks good?

12. field76

field76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman
    Vehicle:
    2012 PM TRD OR DCAB
    Debadged, audio upgrade, silex organizers, AVS in channel window vents, 5100s on all corners with Wheelers 3 leaf HD AAL
  13. ag3nt0rang3

ag3nt0rang3 Member

Member:
    thanks for the write up!

14. liftedf25099

liftedf25099 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma double cab 4x4
    stock
    ok first off im a newbie .. I cant find any info on this so im hoping someone will have some .. I have a 2011 Tacoma 4 door I have noticed people driving with their center parking lights on when I turn my parking lights on they come on at the corner not the center that is my turn signals ? how is this happening ive seen the fog light mod but this isn't a mod I don't believe

15. Erik65

Erik65 Dog slave

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica TX Pro DC
    Stainless exhaust, 16" TRD wheels, 285x75x16 MTR Kevlars, Icon Stage IV, Icon Secondary shock hoop with adjustable remote reservoir bypass shocks, ATO shackle flip kit, AP U-bolt flip, AP Skids (IFS, transmission, T-case, diff cover)
    Does your rig have the daytime running lights? Sounds like it doesn't because the "center parking light" you refer to is the DRL I believe.

16. Erik65

Erik65 Dog slave

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica TX Pro DC
    Stainless exhaust, 16" TRD wheels, 285x75x16 MTR Kevlars, Icon Stage IV, Icon Secondary shock hoop with adjustable remote reservoir bypass shocks, ATO shackle flip kit, AP U-bolt flip, AP Skids (IFS, transmission, T-case, diff cover)
    Nice compilation of info!

My question, looking at the spark plug pics: Do you guys reduce the torque wrench setting? Using the anti-sieze and extensions on the ratchet will skew the actual torque applied to the plug to the high side IIRC...

17. canucktacoma

canucktacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    gta area, ontario canada
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    just finished all basics on my 08/4cyl.i have 154000km .bought used so i chngd rear end fluid/tranny fluid,@ 135km.did plugs /serp belt/rad fluid.@ 150km,all filters changed as well.saved quite a bit on parts/labour.wasn't all that hard either.chkd brakes when i put on snows,it's not rocket science,decent set of tools/patience.buy quality parts..ask friends if not sure how to..

18. wheelerkr2

wheelerkr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Yorktown/School in VT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    SOS Concepts Sliders,Debadge,BHLM,Colormatched Grill,Bilstein 5100's,OME 885 coils, Toytec 2" AAL General Grabber at2 285/75r16
    Just started my 60,000 mile maintenance. Put the K&N drop in air filter today, plan to do the limited slip dif oil sometime next week, as for the other stuff i'll have to wait until I go to my parents house to use my dad's tools. How hard is it to re-torque the propeller shaft bolt? the diagrams confused me?

19. Covington

Covington Active Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner V6
    What can I expect to pay for the 60k mile tranny service? I have an '08 Tacoma Prerunner V6 4 dr. 6 cyl. One shop estimated $89.:anonymous:

20. panicfan

panicfan Active Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    thanks!

To Top