1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

School me on TV's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jackhart, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    jackhart

jackhart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    Nice sized tax refund coming, thinking about getting a new TV in the 60-65" range. Want something a bit higher end, but no idea what to get. I have two Samsung flat screens - I seem to really like the pictures on those. But they are smaller sets, only 32". I have no tv in my living room and have a pretty big wall space reserved for a tv there. The room has two big (almost floor to ceiling) windows in it, so it gets fairly bright during the day.

So, do I go plasma, LED, LCD? I'd love a plasma because I like to watch sports and fast moving action flicks. But I've heard plasma's - at least older ones - do better in dark rooms. I know that whole "burn in" thing is pretty much a thing of the past now, too, because of newer plasma technology.

My budget is in the $2500-3000 range.

Also, what is the deal with HDMI cables? I have Verizon FIOS and the set top boxes that I have now come with HDMI cables. Do I need to buy "new" ones to maximize the picture? They seem pretty pricey so if I could avoid buying new ones that would be good, but if the Verizon stock ones are crap, of course I don't want to cheap out. Thanks for any advice/input.

2. Feb 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Trent

Trent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Lexus GX460
    Hdmi cables pass a digital signal of ones and zeroes. Cable quality doesn't impact digital signals as strongly as analog signals. A cheapy Hdmi cable is fine. Do NOT buy one from the big box store. Go to monoprice.com and get a cheap cable. I have been running their cables for years with NO issues.

3. Feb 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    LED is the newest technology (light emitting diode). I have a Samsung and it's incredible. Basically the picture of plasma without the screen-burn. It's definitely an adjustment when watching the images it brings. I'd suggest this.

LCD (liquid crystal diode) is the old workhorse. Not as good of an image as either the other two, and not as fast of a refresh rate (for sports and games). Cheap, but still worth it. Matte screens means less light reflection, which, as you know, can be annoying.

Plasma is being phased out, but gives a beautiful image. They are filled with gas, have glass screens, and owners have tended to get "screen burn" if an image is paused too long. Maybe it doesn't happen as much now. These tv's don't last as long (up to ten years). Amazing contrast ratios, and extremely fast refresh rates. Can be had for very cheap now.

HDMI cables carry all your data (audio/video) for HD. The more in the back the merrier as you'll be attaching more and more things in the future (BluRay player, audio receiver, etc). Monster will sell them up to $100, but all you really need is a $6 one from Amazon.

I'd suggest an LED Samsung over 52". Hope this helps a little!

4. Feb 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    Trent

Trent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Lexus GX460
    Or just continue using the Verizon cables. They will be fine.

5. Feb 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    LED, 120hz ,1080p, HDMI is fine

6. Feb 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    I have a plasma because at the time (3 years ago) it was the only way to get high refresh rates for sports. LCDs had motion blur problems when I was buying my TV. Now, all that is fixed and you can get an LCD TV with LED backlights that is both quick and with no worry of burn-in.

Just keep your old cables, they'll work fine. Buy new ones when you need them for other accessories at Monoprice. I even have a 30' cable from them to the back of my PC. Works great!

7. Feb 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Plasmas have the deepest blacks and the colors are more vibrant but they aren't as good in well lit rooms due to their glossy screens which causes quite a bit of glare. Your best bet is an LCD with a backlit LED light engine. They get pretty close to plasmas as far as vibrant colors are concerned and LCD screens have a matte finish which works best in a room that has a lot of natural light. Obviously, 1080p and 240 hz refresh is what you want. 3D will also end up in your price point but that will be a personal decision.

Digital is digital. Do not spend a lot of money on HDMI cables. You can order them from monoprice.com for a good price.

I use my projector a majority of the time but I have a 50" LG plasma and a 50" Toshiba LCD downstairs and the LG is better for watching regular shows and the Toshiba is used for the xbox mainly with a little bit of tv watching.

8. Feb 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I highly recommend an LED TV. The picture is incredibly bright and vibrant. I've never been a fan of Plasma, and I feel that LCD's are outdated.

The Samsung 42" 3D LED TV that my friend has is ridiculous.

9. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Whew! Glad to hear someone say that. Thats what I have, and am always impressed with the picture.

10. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    I highly recommend Samsung! they hands down make the best LED/LCD TVs on the market, Ive bought 3 Samsung HDTVs the past 5 years all of which are still being used and still look just as good as when i Brought it home. SAMSUNG FTW!

11. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Yes 120Hz is plenty! also a bit of info. The human eye cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p if the TV is less than 36"

12. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    mknipp

mknipp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm going to purchase a 60" LED LCD 3d tv today. B&H photo has a sharp 60" LED 240hz 3d on sale for around $1800 after a $500 instant credit (ending tomorrow). By far the best deal I have seen and I have been looking for 60" TV's since Xmas. Free shipping, no sales tax, no brainer. Their site is down until later on this evening however.

13. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Some plasma's like mine have an anti glare screen. It helps but does still have glare. You can see the difference in the screen, mine looks kinda textured compared to the glossy finish. But you have to consider where the windows are in relation, mine isn't too bad since the big window is kinda away from the tv. But I do think the plasma's have a bit better picture. It's give and take. And I agree about the cable's, BB tried to push their $100 cables on me. :rolleyes: I went to Wally World and paid like $15 or so and it looks great! Not that I'm trying to brag but I've went to friends houses and didn't think they had HD since their picture didn't compare. :eek: Some of which have the high end cable's and some have LCD's.

14. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    LED all the way!

15. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I can't even tell the difference from my bedroom (720) 42" to the living room (1080) 50". Actually the bedroom has a better picture. :rolleyes: But I think the bedroom tv is a slightly higher quality tv. It was our living room tv until we moved in the new house with a bigger living room. I loved my 42 Panasonic so much I bought the other bigger one for the living room with the same specs but haven't been as happy with this one.

16. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Supposedly the human I can't detect anything more than a 60 hz refresh rate but go to a store and watch basketball or hockey on a big TV with a 120 hz refresh rate and verify that you can't pick up on the motion blur before you buy. I have noticed it on some TVs.

17. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Mine does as well but it still is more glossy than an LCD. I have two windows that are right next to the Plasma but there is a covered porch in front of the windows so it never gets direct sunlight through the windows. I still love watching the Plasma though. Also check out AVS forums for more info. Local dimming is also a nice option to have if you are a movie buff.

18. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    Special_K

Special_K o_o

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Cav Blue
    That's an awesome deal! I'm in the market for a TV like the OP as well.

The Samsung 60in LED 7000 model looks pretty bad ass with the 0.2in bezel, but the best I could find it was at Magnolia for $2650+tax so thats a bummer.

19. Feb 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    My friends TV has 240 Hz refresh rate and it makes you feel like you're watching something in slow motion sometimes...it's hard to describe. I think it's because the transitions are so smooth.

20. Feb 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    The same exact model but with 120hz instead of 240hz even at best buy was under 2000. but 1800 for that TV is an excellent price! I paid 2400 for my 46" samsung the first model 120Hz debuted.

Products Discussed in

To Top