1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

School research paper on Gun Control HELP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by schiz94, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 [OP] Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    Basically i have to get 4 pages of notes and quotes for a school research paper. My thesis is basically saying that guns are good and the less we restrict the use of them, (not just hand them out like candy, keep them out of the hands of criminals) but stop putting bans on the use of them, the lower crime rates will be and the safer the average american will be. i know there are lots of gun owners here willing to help me prove my teacher wrong( hes a fat liberal asshole that doesnt think guns should be allowed for private ownership) i wanna prove him wrong.

2. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    With a topic like gun control, your resources are only limited by ability to conduct the actual research. It has been covered time and time again, so I would start by looking up some statistical information. Then you could move on to site case law, and maybe throw in a few instances where pistols, etc. have been banned from certain metro areas and statistically, violent crime rates per capita rise in the years to follow. Backing up your thesis shouldn't be hard at all, just be sure to provide factual information, and site your work, because you know he'll be out to dock you on anything he can.

3. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    tacovic

tacovic Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    i hope your paper makes more sense and is put together better then that post.

4. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    schiz94

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    thanks^ me too.

5. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    schiz94

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    i was referring to bradley law and the assault rifle ban. if that makes sense.

6. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Include in your research the number (statistic) of registered firearms that are used for illegal use. What you have to prove is that all restricting firearms will do is take them from the law abiding citizens, the criminals will then have nothing to fear. Another approach you could take is how many people are killed by drunk drivers each year, or shovels yet it would be insane to propose taking those items from the public.

7. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    Ccwahoo

Ccwahoo "Get comfortable being uncomfortable" Goggins

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4
    Check out gun owners of america's website

8. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    schiz94

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
  9. Mar 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
  10. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    do some research on gun laws in cali. CA is notorious for being super stringent on gun laws. back in the clinton days alot of cali police officers were getting in trouble for owning illegal guns at home. the laws were so hard to understand even law enforcement didn't know what was legal and what wasn't. look at gun laws and crime rates in cali

11. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wouldn't go into it "trying to prove him wrong" cause that just ain't gunna happen. Worry about putting a solid paper together and go from there.

12. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Just make sure you get FACTS. You cant write a good paper about what ifs and maybe when's. Do good research. Get propper information. And be able to back it up in an argument. Be able to quote case law, ATF and FBI statistics. Get good resources and make sure they are true. Be able to provide evidence of your statements. This is a never ending battle and no one side will ever win. Good luck!

13. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    Something to keep in mind is that this issue is still debated to this day not because of some grand conspiracy, but because of the argumentative element of the issue and studies not being able to be proven. In short, no one can agree on what should be law and what shouldn't, and in fact statistics will not help you much. Don't get me wrong, I love guns and love what they do in my hand against an assailant bent on injury or death of others or myself, but studies from anti-gun sites and pro-gun sites should not be used. Both sites are biased therefore ruining credibility according to CARS (Credibility, Accuracy, Reasonableness, and Support.) What you need is statistics about carry permit holders, their actions, etc. Many gun studies have been conducted and failed to be conclusive, on both sides of the argument. The reason for this is the innumerable effects of countless factors that account for differing correlations, i.e. No guns in a city, more crime, but what else can affect crime; poverty lines, welfare, drugs, abortions, unemployment, etc. You see, it is impossible to directly correlate guns to crime and vise-versa.

I just went through a paper similar to this and so did my friend. I learned from his mistakes and got the A, even in a liberal college. Good luck.

14. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Hmmm. In Arizona there has been a HUGE argument about having traffic cameras/ speed cameras/red light cameras going on. The argument just like any other liberal argument is "If they can save one life, then we should have them everywhere."

Well I would like to say if a gun can save one life; why take away my right to have it?

15. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    "Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People" I know of no one who hunts Deer with an AK47!!
    Just because you have the right do you need to abuse that right.

16. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Good luck. I wrote a similar paper last year and got a D on it. not because of how it was written but because my B**** of a teacher didnt agree with me. in her notes she wrote on my paper, all she did was basicaly argue with me...

17. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    schiz94

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    haha well my teacher said he wouldn't do that. i just have to write a paper with both sides of the arguement and then back up my thesis with evidence

18. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    "An armed society is a polite society"

19. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    Waking the Dead

Waking the Dead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC LB Gray
    My bumper sticker:"Guns don't kill people, abortion protesters do!"
    Take the teacher's side if you want an "A".
    Or just go against him if you like to argue.

20. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    The fact that your teacher is a fat liberal as you say will lend itself to being a tough road to hoe with your paper.
    Sounds like both of you have differing mindsets and while I agree with your idea of proving your side with a well written and factual paper, his mind is against it from the start.

Not that it should matter in the quality of your work but if you turn in an A quality paper he may allready be " holding a grudge " against your side which may end up being a C or D grade.

Yes that is wrong but the stand you are making can cost you a grade that is far more important in the final goal of keeping a decent GPA out of the school.

Best of luck, and hopefully you can sway his perception on this subject without paying a price for voicing your side.

Products Discussed in

To Top