1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scout Yoho Slide-in Truckbed Camper

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by YF_Ryan, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Nov 22, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    Photos courtesy of Troy Nebeker:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Siebermd likes this.
  2. Nov 22, 2021 at 11:06 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    Photos courtesy of Kyle Grozelle:

ScoutYohoAVOR-132.jpg

ScoutYohoAVOR-109.jpg

ScoutYohoAVOR-102.jpg

ScoutYohoAVOR-103.jpg

ScoutYohoAVOR-104.jpg

ScoutYohoAVOR-116.jpg

ScoutYohoAVOR-130.jpg

ScoutYohoAVOR-118.jpg

3. Dec 3, 2021 at 3:04 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    The Scout camper has an optional cooktop (which I opted out of) that is portable and hooks into the camper's propane supply. The Olympic, and I believe the Kenai, each have a quick connect inside and outside giving the user increased flexibility on use. The Yoho only has the quick connect inside. In the image below you can see the cooktop.

upload_2021-12-3_14-10-2.jpg

This cooktop is actually a popular Dometic drop-in cooktop that is often found in RVs, built right into a countertop. Not caring so much about portability my wife and I decided we'd prefer sinking the cooktop directly into the counter. This also gave us the flexibility to order the nicer version! They have three versions. A black cooktop with wire grate and a Piezo push button lighter. Another in stainless steel, wire grate and (I believe) a battery operated lighter. Finally, the one I ordered, stainless steel, cast iron grate, and 12v lighting.

upload_2021-12-3_14-22-51.jpg

I ordered mine as a blemished unit from Panther RV Products out of Washougal, WA. If you look at the bottom left corner of the image below, you might be able to see the tiny crease. Doesn't bother me any, and saved us a good amount. Other than that, it came in original packaging and looks perfect. We are really excited to get it installed, and I'll obviously post pictures once we do. I figured I'll have my dad help me, as he has all the work working tools for cutting out the top of the counter. I just need to get out and find the propane attachments.

260437245_2803321969942906_7755566871333_c08d61da6eb6e41a195911641dea2ecff20ee29b.jpg

Also plan on using one of these lil guys with a 12v battery instead of actually trying to wire it over to the Goal Zero Yeti. I've got a couple of these from buying trailer lights that came with them to test them out in the store, lol.

[​IMG]

sawbladeduller likes this.
  4. Dec 13, 2021 at 8:05 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    And here is the finished product! Borrowed a nice Dewalt jigsaw off our local Buy Nothing FB group and was able to install it pretty quick.

upload_2021-12-13_7-39-43.jpg

First thing I did was measure and re-measure, and measure again. I had pencil marks all over the top. Obviously you need to pull off the metal strap holder, and it's a good idea to turn off your propane and pull the hose down into the cabinet. You simply unscrew the elbow from the hose, pull the black liner from the tabletop hole, and the hose slides down inside. I also unscrewed a couple of the clips that the hose hangs from under the table top to make sure they were clear from the jig saw.

upload_2021-12-13_7-40-37.jpg

The underside of the counter has a one inch border of wood support inside the plywood cabinet which is already an inch or so in from the edge. There is also the wiring running to the 7-pin connector that is under the sink, and the propane line to watch out for. In reality, this leaves only about 2 inches of left to right adjustment available in placing the stove. I also wanted it as far forward/away from the window as possible. I might have been able to move it forward another quarter inch or so, but didn't want to worry about cutting into the 1 inch support strip. This makes your placement decision pretty easy!

upload_2021-12-13_7-40-56.jpg

With the elbow off the hose, the hose is the perfect length to attach onto the elbow already installed from the factory on the back of the stove. Runs straight across and connects like it was designed to be this way. Tighten it on with a crescent wrench and it's good. Once it's set in place, you pre drill two holes, one on each side of the stovetop, and then place the included screw in each side and you're done. Well, i might be adding a bead of caulk around the stove, but not sure yet. Couldn't be happier with how this came out. Figure I'll find a big plastic cutting board soon to place over the top of the stove, maybe with some feet that will fit into the stove top to keep it from sliding off when I'm bouncing around on bad roads. We'll see.

upload_2021-12-13_7-42-1.jpg

Here's an image underneath, so you can see it doesn't hang down very far. It looks crooked, cause it is, lol. The shield underneath has two screws into the bottom of the burners, then just 3 or 4 zip ties holding it up. That's how it came and that's fine with me. And finally, you can't see it, but I used a command strip to hold the battery against the wall directly to the back of the stove. Makes it really easy to reach in and change it when I need to.

upload_2021-12-13_7-42-49.jpg

TheOnlyPajooned likes this.
  5. Dec 15, 2021 at 4:10 PM
    asanelli

asanelli Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Golden CO
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Tacoma TRD Offroad
    how big is the bed?

6. Dec 16, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    The Yoho's bed is 72" long by 54" wide. Same width as full mattress, but shorter. I'm 5'6", and my wife a little shorter, and we sleep VERY comfortably. I'd say up to around 5'9" you'd be the same. Over 6 foot would probably start to be questionable for two people. I have heard rumor the 2023 Yoho (which is currently taking orders) may have a north-south pull out bed option instead of the current East-West.

7. Dec 30, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    pnwtaco_scout

pnwtaco_scout New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG MT TRD OR
    What's the longest trip you've done with the Yoho? I'm picking one up in January with the intent of spending the spring/summer on the road. I'm running OME BP51s / heavy duty Dakars and airbags. Still uneasy about the constant weight and if the truck can handle it.

8. Dec 31, 2021 at 9:24 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Bout two weeks after I picked mine up I drove from Kent, WA to Marysvale, UT towing our SxS and ATV. Then headed to Vegas, then back home. Was a bit over 2000 miles round trip. I think it was 10 or 11 nights. Half were at rest areas, and half were at a campground where I had electric power the whole time.

I can't you see having any issues if you are running heavy duty leaf springs AND airbags. I've just got the Deaver Expedition Stage 3, no airbags, and it does fine, even with my trailer. Thought I might want a rear sway bar, but after driving it a few thousand miles, I really don't think it's needed.

pnwtaco_scout[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 1, 2022 at 7:55 AM
    Vst

Vst IG:@vehiclesupportedtravel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kodak, TN
    Vehicle:
    18’ Access cab TRD OFRD 4x4
    could you use this cook top with the small 1 pound propane bottles?

10. Jan 1, 2022 at 9:25 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    It would take some doing, but it's possible. You would have to have a regulator to get the high pressure of the 1 pound bottles down to the standard low pressure used in an RV (11 w.c. or something like that).

Vst[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 16, 2022 at 6:35 PM
    tail_or_swift

tail_or_swift Well-Known Member

Member:
    pnw
    Cool camper! I almost bought one, but went w/the FWC Swift because I'm a tad over 6 feet tall and the Scout didn't have a pull out bed. I didn't know they might be re-doing their bed system in 2023.

YF_Ryan[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  12. Jan 18, 2022 at 7:48 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I think enough people want the space that they are doing something similar to the Kenai that pulls out to make a larger bed. I think it's also similar to the FWC, right? Some sort of pullout platform and pads for mattress. This is one of the cases being small/short has been a win :)

tail_or_swift[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 18, 2022 at 8:00 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Wasn't boondocking, but the Yoho sure made a comfy place to stay in Leavenworth for the long weekend. We got a spot at the local KOA. So cozy for the two of us. Couldn't be happier with how the camper has worked out for us. So easy to just put anything loose into the sink or on the floor, unplug the 110v from the post at the campground, and head off. We walked into town once, lil over a mile, but were lazy and drove in the other couple times.

0116221406.jpg

14. Jan 18, 2022 at 4:45 PM
    tail_or_swift

Member:
    pnw
    Yes, my Swift has a bed that pulls out and is almost the size of a queen bed.

15. Jan 19, 2022 at 7:55 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    The full sized bed width isn't bad for such a small camper, especially having come from the 4 foot wide AT Habitat's bed. The issue is definitely the lack of length, not that I'd complain about having a queen bed, lol. I think the Yoho will be a much better seller once the bed is lengthened.

tail_or_swift[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 19, 2022 at 10:59 PM
    tail_or_swift

Member:
    pnw
    I came from having a GFC for 1.5 years with a bed that wasn''t too bad for me, because it had length. It's mostly just me & my dog, so width isn't usually a huge deal for me as length is. Not sure how the GFC compares w/ the AT Habitat.
    The FWC Swift's bed is sorta like a queen, but I believe is actually wider but shorter than a queen. I'll have to take measurements, but it's almost more like a square when it's pulled out. Something like 74" x 74". Nest time I'm in it I'll measure.

17. Jan 19, 2022 at 11:35 PM
    YotaGangYotaGang

YotaGangYotaGang PreRunners are wannabe 4x4’s

Member:
    Covina
    Vehicle:
    95, 97, 01 Tacoma | 06 Tundra | 07 FJ Cruiser | 08 Prius
    A rtt i never use and 30 light bars
    Read your posts and agree with you, most folks really all they need is urban camping setup and dirt roads. HATE popup or anything you gotta setup. I cant justify the price and the lead times and been thinking to build my own hard shell.

YF_Ryan[OP] likes this.
  18. Mar 6, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    MAP_NW

MAP_NW New Member

Member:
    Hi all - I'm new to this forum, but not new to Tacos. I just sold my old 4cyl 4x4 access cab Taco, (casually) shopping my options for a new Taco that better accommodates my future Scout Yoho. My question: I know the Yoho will fit either bed, but is there any advantage/disadvantage to having a long bed or short bed when it comes to the Yoho? I've only ever had the regular long bed on my trucks, but I've never had a truck camper, only a canopy for camping - so this is a big upgrade for me. The only advantage to the short bed I can see is potentially better overall clearance on the back end when driving back roads.. Any advice is welcome! Thanks

19. Mar 7, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Welcome to TacomaWorld! Thanks for making this thread your first post, I know I appreciate it :)

#1 advantage on long bed is that more of the camper's weight would be forward of the rear axle. This better balance would increase safety for sure.

#2 a lot of folks love being able to close their tailgate. This lets you use your backup camera as you normally would and also gives you a back "porch" or standing area when parked. Some also think it's more secure, but if your camper is about to slide out of the back of your truck, you are doing something wrong.

I'm running a double cab short bed, and I think losing the tailgate was a good thing, as it's a little less weight you are hauling around. I had already moved my backup camera out of the tailgate and onto a swingout (which I lost when getting Yoho) so it was easy for me to move again. Currently I've got it zip tied to my drop hitch, lol. It's not pretty but it works. Another reason to pull your tailgate if running a short bed is that the tailgate, when down (which it would have to be with camper loaded) blocks access to lowering your spare.

MAP_NW[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Mar 7, 2022 at 10:16 PM
    MAP_NW

MAP_NW New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the Welcome! And thanks for the advice re: weight balance and safety, I think that officially seals the deal on the bed length (and the "back porch" point, unofficially). I'll be sure the share the outcome on here..

Products Discussed in

To Top