1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scrap metal is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by beavis87, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Nov 11, 2015 at 12:58 PM
    beavis87

beavis87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '10 Silver TRD OR
    Is collecting scrap worth it? I know non-magnetic scrap is worth more. If you do collect for cash, where are the best places to go, when and how do you collect it, legally? What tools are necessary? How much scrap have you put in a stock or upgraded tacoma?

2. Nov 11, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    CFI AandP

CFI AandP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '18 BBP DCSB Limted
    I've scrapped various things around the house as they come up. Don't quit your day job for it. As I've replaced appliances and such I've disassembled the old and scrapped it. Fridge, ovens, A/C unit (must have proof of purchase to prove you didn't steal it), aluminum storm shutters... Copper is the premium material, steel and aluminum come far short in value.

3. Nov 11, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    it must be worth it... the scrappers are always driving around the hood on trash day looking for goodies to grab.

4. Nov 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    Someone

Someone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    I'd say no. At least in my area. For gas money sure, but as primary income no. Two years ago it was worth it. Just recycled 2 tons of metal got $75. Two years ago would have been $300. Again this is for my area.

5. Nov 12, 2015 at 3:03 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Carbon Steel won't get you very much. Stainless steels are worth a lot more. Don't group all non-magnetic steel in the same class as being worth less. Some stainless steels and duplexes are magnetic. I think most of these guys driving around with scrap in their pick ups and station wagons are happy getting a few dollars.

6. Nov 12, 2015 at 3:10 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Scrapping is a hard way to make a living, unless you own the yard and have a rail siding.

7. Nov 12, 2015 at 6:37 AM
    CFI AandP

CFI AandP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '18 BBP DCSB Limted
    Do you think they are investing heavily in their 401K's with all that scrap earnings? Or just buying beer and lotto tickets with it?

8. Nov 12, 2015 at 6:45 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    As others have done here, I scrapped metal as it came up when renovating my house. At first I thought I was gonna make a few bucks and had high hopes; spent all day being careful not to scratch my truck while loading it up, took the drive to yard, and walked out with $20. Barely enough to cover my gas, and seriously underpaid considering how much I charge per hour for my day job.

I find it easier to just go on craigslist and look for a local scrapper. They come with a beat to shit vehicle and a trailer that looks like it came from the depths of hell. Grab my shit and I never see them again.....judging by what I see, its not a lifestyle I want to be part of lol.

9. Nov 12, 2015 at 6:54 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    In my experience carbon or mild steel is not worth it. We scrap a few tons a month I give it to one of my employees we load up a trailer with a few tons and she doesn't even get over 100 bucks. Steel is way down right now and very rough on your bed and truck the damage caused to your truck alone would be more then you make in money. i think carbon steel is $0.06 a lb right now so you need TONs to make anything and the Tacoma can't handle that.

Just think you can put about 500lbs in a 2nd gen Tacoma before your on the bumps so over load it at 800lbs for the short trip and you have $48.00 bucks in your pocket!

10. Nov 5, 2017 at 1:30 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCLB, TRD Sport, Barcelona Red
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield
    now in 2017 the price of steel is "in the shitter" as the guy at the scrap yard says. They wont pay for steel unless you bring in a ton. copper is around $2.05 a pound lately and i just got myself a fancy wire stripper jig on Amazon for $38 paid for it on the first trip out. does a nice job on romex and stuff to strip the shielding off. bx is a pain in the ass so i just turn that in for the 10c a lb as is.

11. Nov 5, 2017 at 1:37 AM
    Heinen

Heinen Well-Known Member

Member:
    South TX
    Vehicle:
    17' TRDOR 4X4
    Cheap Chinese steel started driving the price down around 10 yrs ago. The US govt. finally hit them with a steep tariff 2 yrs ago?

12. Nov 5, 2017 at 1:43 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield
    i thought it was the Chinese that were buying all our scrap steel to begin with.

13. Nov 5, 2017 at 1:46 AM
    Heinen

Heinen Well-Known Member

Member:
    South TX
    Vehicle:
    17' TRDOR 4X4
    Google search "Chinese steel tariff ". The Euros are having the same prob with cheap Chinese steel

14. Dec 2, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    Capt Jrod

Capt Jrod Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    15 WHITE DCSB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    I do HVAC... We save all the copper and I do break down the coils. #1 copper is worth it! Steel is a joke. Most of the time the money in scrapping is not having to pay the landfill to take it. lol

15. Dec 2, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    Copper is where it is at for sure. That and Brass.

Like you said it’s better to drop the steel off for free than to pay my town dump.

16. Dec 2, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Our last shop scrap run was 9000lbs and I walked out with about $110. :bananadead: Not even worth the time and stress on the truck/trailer.

17. Dec 4, 2017 at 12:41 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    platinum, stainless, copper, bronze, brass, titanium, is worth recycling but most people don't get enough of it to make them much more than a carton of cigaretts if that much. As I said earlier some stainless steels are magnetic. Most of the jockies working the scales don't know that and will only give you carbon steel price. I had the owner come out one time with his alloy gun after i told his boy that I has stainless and this grade is magnetic. He comes out all huffy and puffy and analyzes what I have and looked dumfounded when he found it was stainless. I thought this guy is the owner?

Products Discussed in

To Top