1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scratch from Dealer - What would you do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MenaceAllen, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mar 24, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    MenaceAllen

MenaceAllen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White TRD Sport
    Alpine W505 Deck, GPS, WeatherTech Mats, Vent Visors, 18" KMC Monsters w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20% Tint, Bed Mat, Eibach Coils, Blistein 5100's, Rear 1.5" AAL, Lorado Access Cover, TREX Angry Eyelids, AstroStart, 6k H.I.D's
    Hey Y'all. I just got back from the dealership and had a Pop N Lock tailgate handle installed. When I go to inspect my new accessory I notice that there is about a 1/2" scratch above the handle with all of the paint removed. It looks like they had to cut the Pop N Lock handle a little bit because it was rubbing and the guy probably slipped and swiped the tailgate.

[​IMG]

The accessories manager is a great guy and said that he will make an appointment for me to get it fixed. I have a feeling they will just slop some touch up paint in there and it will probably look like shit. I honestly want this thing to look like how it was when I brought it in there. What do you guys consider an acceptable fix on this from the dealer?

2. Mar 24, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    First I would bring it to their attention. If they fix it and looks horrible, I'd bring it back to them. I'd want it looking the way it went in.

I don't think they had to cut anything. I installed it on my 09 and everything fit pretty good.

3. Mar 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Touch-up paint wont cut it. At least for me it wouldn't. They need to do a proper job and make it to where it looks brand spankin new, just like you said, the way you brought it in. Even so, ask them what there repair process is going to be and if they just say some touch-up paint, say hell noo!!!:eek::mad:

4. Mar 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    Idrivetoys

Idrivetoys Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Yuma AZ
    Vehicle:
    I need a 4 door DC 4x4
    bring it to their attention

5. Mar 24, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    Silver_Taco

Silver_Taco Senior Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    I'd be real nice about it - losing your temper won't help.... then, after a couple of tries with no satisfaction, kick someone in the fuckin' ear.

6. Mar 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    kick someone in the fuckin' ear.
    i love it!!

7. Mar 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    vball6pac

vball6pac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Arlington, VA
    Vehicle:
    white 09 4dr toyota tacoma 4x4
    side tube step bars, and a trd skid plate. Hood protector, and wade in-channel guards. K&N CAI, Dynomax catback exhaust. Weathertech floormats, and door scuff guards. White stubbie antenna.
    X2

8. Mar 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    Toogrady

Toogrady Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Olympia, WA
    haha, then offer them some powder to "touch up" with!

9. Mar 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    MenaceAllen

MenaceAllen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White TRD Sport
    Alpine W505 Deck, GPS, WeatherTech Mats, Vent Visors, 18" KMC Monsters w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20% Tint, Bed Mat, Eibach Coils, Blistein 5100's, Rear 1.5" AAL, Lorado Access Cover, TREX Angry Eyelids, AstroStart, 6k H.I.D's
    I just uploaded the pic in original post.

10. Mar 24, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    It's ruined. Demand a new truck.

11. Mar 24, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    NE FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 AC Cab 2.7 Manual
    Shit, for that, i would ask for a free bottle of touch up paint and do it myself and deal with it... but that is just me. Stuff will happen to the truck and it is not like a bad damage. besides, wouldn't that show up as damage on a vehicle report if the dealer fixes it? I guess i wouldn't sweat something that small.

I have had a previous truck damaged by a dealer and they fixed it well, but that is just really tiny in my opinion, that could've happened in the parking lot by some soccer mom in an SUV. The fact the dealer did it does not make it more egregious in my opinion.

On another note, the pop n lock install isn't hard, and there is a tutorial on this site, did you just not want to do it??

12. Mar 24, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I have a small scratch like that in my 2010 now too. Not from me and never been back to the dealer. I assume in a parking lot. It is a bummer and it will happen. I also have a chip in my hood and a ding in the a pillar. Oh and I took a strike to my windshield that did not so much chip the glass but put three small scuffs in a small area. Does it upset me? Sure. Will there be more? Yep.

BTW, there are some new systems out there for touch up work that are WAY better than the old "finger nail polish" type of systems. You have to look REALLY close to know and likely need to know it was there to start with. I would PREFER that to panel paint in a case like yours. It is a rare painter indeed that can get a job a smooth as a robot in a production shop.

13. Mar 24, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    touch up paint would be my fix, although i feel your pain i would rather be the one to scratch or dent my own truck...

14. Mar 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    you should contact the media about that bro.

15. Mar 24, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    I'm in the touch up group. I mean, maybe they have a mean touch up person. My touch ups never come out nice.

For that though, I would not repaint the entire part, as someone else said, will never look as perfect as if it was from the factory.

16. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    First off...... here we go again with a dealer f-king someones new ride up. Dude; bring it to their attention & see what they offer. Tell them if they can't install something as simple as the PopnLock without damaging the truck, you sure as hell don't want them attempting bodywork. Ask for a big discount on an accessory you want and if they decline tell them about this forum & the exsposure they will get here, good & bad.

17. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    Silver_Taco

Silver_Taco Senior Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    now that I see the damage, think I'd just go with the touch up paint ... otherwise, you're gonna end up kickin somebody in the fuckin' ear, for sure.

18. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Tell them about it, get a free tube of touch-up paint out of the deal and fix it yourself. Then you have more paint for later when you hit a gravel patch, catch a rock off a trailer/bus, smack your keys against the door, etc. You'll get more over time and having a tube of paint handy is the best way to keep any rust from developing.

19. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Menace ,

I'd be pissed off too , but get the touch up paint pen ( for free ) , jack the dealer for some free maintenence or whatever , and look at it as getting the first scratch out of the way , now you can relax in parking lots etc ,

just my 2 cents canadian ,

OZ

20. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    Well, you can't file an insurance claim because the truck would probably be totaled.

So I guess your only option is touch-up paint.

To Top