1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scratching my head- Coilovers - replace shocks or not?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Caduceus, May 22, 2010.

1. May 22, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    OK, dumb, but quick question. reading the Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide sticky, it says, in regards to the Bislstein 5100s, "... (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components."

yet on our home page, the ToyTec Coil Over Kit group buy says that they're only for the 5100s.

So what gives? Is it now OK to run aftermarket shocks on aftermarket coils?

And if one does buy the Toytec coilovers, does one have to set the 5100s at a certain height, or does the coilover provide the lift?

Thanks. I'm totally lost on whether the coilover, or the shock, is the part that is providing the extra height.

2. May 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I used a set of Eibach 1.6 springs on the 5100 shocks set at .85
    I would not go higher than that.
    Worked fine and was not super stiff due to the springs being longer and not preloaded as much as you do with the stock springs at 2.5.

3. May 22, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can use the 5100s with aftermarket coils. You leave the 5100s at a stock or very lower setting max. They are not designed to have a larger/longer/stronger coil AND preload together.
    With the Toytec ultimate kit- The coils and the adjustable coil seat provide the lift.

4. May 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    Kernel

Kernel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 6sp Manual
    5100's all 4 corners, front at .85 with Eibach Coils, Rear TSB w/AAL, TRD Catback Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry S, Duratracs, redline hood struts, maglight mod, weathertechs
    What was your total lift with this? Any issues with vibrations/alignment? This is the setup I'm looking at since my ass end is 2.75 inches higher than the front.

5. May 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Just about 2 1/4" Right front and 2 1/2" Left front with a 1/4" spacer for the lean compensation.

Along with the 2" AAL in the rear it did pick up a very slight 10-15 MPH vibration.
    I worked out a solution with the carrier bearing drop of about 1/4".

6. May 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    After reading about all the positive comments about the eibach springs and bilstein 5100 shocks combination I bought some and finally had them installed today. I had them set to 0" which gave me about 1 1/4" lift. Wow what a huge improvement over the stock sr5 suspension. The stock coilovers are way to soft for a 4x4 truck. It corners better and handles bumps better. The truck feels firm but not stiff or harsh which I was wanting. Now I just need to get the rear TSB done in a couple of weeks.

Products Discussed in

To Top