1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Screwed up Blinker conversion

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by IronCladTRD, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aug 8, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    IronCladTRD

IronCladTRD [OP] Consistently Irregular

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    Well, today I decided to do the blinker conversion in preparation for my new plate bumper. I searched for a write up and the only one I really found was the one on liebleweb. Anyways, I figured "This'll be easy, no problem." Boy I was wrong . I have a 2003, yet my corner light looked much different from the back. After going to 4 different automotive stores, I finally found the exact bulb socket that was used in the write up. Unfortunately, I ended up having to hollow out MUCH more than it shows in the picture on their website. The socket still barely fits in there, but I finally got it. After I got the socket in, I noticed there was a HUGE gap that would allow mud, moisture, etc. into the corner light, so I had to epoxy the whole gap. It looks really crummy and I'm afraid that stuff is going to get into the corner light anyway. So far, I've only done the left one. Now I'm not sure whether I should just throw out the assembly and return the electronic components, and buy a new corner housing for 30 bucks (Saved the OEM bulb thankfully), or spend another 45 minutes doing the other light. If I go with the first option, I'll probably get the amber KC hiliters and try to mount them on my bumper. Anyways, what was supposed to be a <$20 mod is turning into a hundred and something.

:censored::annoyed::frusty:

/Rant

Suggestions appreciated.

2. Aug 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I haven't messed with a Tacoma's blinkers, but I did my 86 Toyota truck a long time ago. I ended up with what you are describing. The bulb was very close to the lens, and I used a ton of RTV silicone to close up the gaps between the socket and housing. Never had to change the bulb, but that would have been a hassle. Never had any problems with it though.

Edit: Using an amber foglight with 35 or 55watt bulbs as turn signals would be very annoying to other traffic at night, and would probably earn you a ticket. JMHO

3. Aug 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I'm not familiar with the "liebleweb" writeup to which you refer above. I followed Beau02's writeup at http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/81243-fog-light-mod-how-pics.html#post1545613, which I found very easy to implement. Admittedly, the second lens I altered came our a little better than the first, but neither ended up presenting the problem you describe.

I'm not sure I see any way around buying a replacement lens, but Beau02's instructions should keep you out of trouble with it.

4. Aug 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    IronCladTRD

IronCladTRD [OP] Consistently Irregular

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    Ehh, I just went ahead and did the other one. Used a ton of epoxy, so hopefully it'll last a year or 2. Not looking forward to the bulbs burning out though!

5. Aug 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dbl Cab 4x4
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    I did the mod you mentioned. It did require to cut a bigger hole than I expected, but it did fit and it's doing the job. I believe he did mention in that writeup that he sealed it using the silicon weather stuff and that changing bulbs will be a pain in the ass. But it works and I like it. Plus, having the signals in the corner make you more visible to cross traffic IMHO than the stock signals on the bumper.

Products Discussed in

To Top