1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scuba Diving

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by TacomaDiver, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Nov 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    dlooney

dlooney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    I'm trying to get a job at aquatic safari this summer, but right now I'm just a frequent visitor there :D I've heard of murrels but haven't been down there yet

2. Nov 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Limited
    Deck Plate, '17 rims, 2" spacers, Tundra Brake Upgrade, 3" Coilover/shackle lift, 01-04 Center Console, Ultragauge, LED interior lights, HO alternator...
    Rescue Diver Here! I was working on my master cert when life got int he way. Planning to get the wife certified soon and start diving again.

3. Nov 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    Waikoloa Tacoma

Waikoloa Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    At the beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner DC TRD OR
    It is part of the reason I moved here. Grew up in NJ, don't miss it. Hope all is good with you and yours from Sandy.

4. Nov 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    Waikoloa Tacoma

Waikoloa Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    At the beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner DC TRD OR
    Thank you for your service.

5. Nov 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Haven't been in the water in way too long.
    PADI OW/AOW/Wreck
    NAUI Nitrox
    GUE Tech Fundamentals

Favorite local spot is Farnsworth Bank on the back side of Catalina.
    Would love to dive the Nuclear Fleet and the Andrea Doria

6. Nov 21, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5
    Secondary Filter mod, Always on Reverse Camera, Upgraded HU, LED Bed lights
    yea man go for it its a great profession to get into! i don't work in scuba but everyone i know does. im just a lowly open water person haha but i dont get to go out during the summer so it doesnt really bother me. they all love it (until they go get their instructor license haha). you should definitely come pay us a visit. i love these guys.

7. Nov 21, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco
    3" Lift (Billies 5100 front and back), Toytec springs, All Pro 3" Standard Pack, LR UCA's, Diff Drop, SCS F5's, 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens, Rear Diff Breather, pinch weld mod, Morimoto Projector retro w/ amber halo's, grey wire mod, Elite front bumper....so far....
    Hey all. I'm down for "Zee Scuba". I've been a recreational diver for about 14 yrs. now. I was certified in the gulf of Aquaba (red sea), off the coast of the Sinai peninsula. Unbelievable clarity. I've not been anyway that remotly comes close. I can realate to the druggies out there that are "chasing the high".

8. Nov 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted and bigger tires
    hey guys, Ive been diving for a few years now, gonna start my rescue when i get back home in 8 months (then ill be master). headed to a live a board for christmas/new years in the bahamas.....wish i could dive more

9. Nov 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    About how long does it take to get a advanced diver cert? I'm gonna be stationed on Oahu for the next 3 years and was thinking about going for it.

10. Nov 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I use the above water version? :spy:

:cool:

11. Nov 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    dlooney

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    Not long at all, did about 5 days of classes then 3 dives and got my certification :D And if you're in Oahu, you'd be crazy not to! Some of the best diving in the world over there!

12. Nov 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not sure what it takes now.
    When I got mine, it was 5 dives. Deep, Navigation, and Night were required, the other two were "elective." Any could be applied toward the requirement for the individual specialty dives, so since everyone in my wreck class was also in my AOW class, the wreck class was only two dives... a penetration dive on the Yukon, and a mapping dive on a barge off of Laguna. We were going to map the Ruby-E but viz was not good enough.

My dives were:
    One to (but not below) 100ft... it was kinda stupid. PADI standards did not allow the instructor to take the class below 100ft, but the dive needed to be deeper than 95, so we all went down to 95ft and then held our computers as deep as we could to log as close to 100 as possible.
    Ya, it was a bit of a joke.
    One dive was an advanced navigation dive. Where OW just has you follow a compass out and back, the AOW class required navigating a square and a triangle.
    We did a Drift dive down the Colorado River from the Riverside boat launch in Laughlin to a park on the other side of the river a couple of miles down in Bullhead.
    We did a wreck dive (also qualified as an altitude dive) in Lake Mojave
    And we did a night dive.

13. Nov 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted and bigger tires
    Not to derail the thread, but I work with a bunch of EOD guys now...... Im working on clearing a former bombing/ firing range. Thanks your your service.

But yeah its 5 dives still. a good weekend and you can get it knocked out in HI.

14. Nov 26, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd
    Bilstein 5100s, Thule Roof Rack, Pioneer AVH4300, tow package, anytime foglight, philips xtreme bulbs.
    Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
    Has anyone ever dove Belize and if so is it that much different/better than Mexico (Playa del Carmen/Tulum area).

15. Nov 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    Thanks for all the info guys. It's really helpful and is giving me a lot to look forward to.

Are they Military EOD or Civilian?

16. Nov 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Turbo Meister

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98' 2.4 extra cab w/LS1 Aluminum V8
    ARP Head Studs, Ported Head, MLS Head Gasket, GT3076R Garrett BB Turbo, Synapse Tubular SS Exhaust Manifold, PSI Forward Facing Sheet Metal Intake, Intercooler, 550cc injectors,255lph Fuel Pump, Speed-Trac Traction bars, Heim joint Strut bars, URD Short Shifter, CC Twindisk Clutch, , Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 Standalone ECU, Pre-runner rear springs, V6 rearend with TRD limited-slip Differential New list....LS1 with T56 6-speed trans...simply awesome.
    PADI MSDT here (Master SCUBA Diver Trainer) I have been teaching SCUBA for over 5 years.

Its such an awesome time, love to be in the water, its nice to be at the beach in 10 minutes and hit the water!

If anybody is looking for Diving certification (PADI) I am a certified instructor, if I can get a group of 3 or more I can set up training courses.

Making me want to hit the water right now. However for where I live I am doing shore dives mostly, and its a bit of work kicking out past the waves, better be aware of when the sets are coming in or your going to do a lot of extra swimming! If you time it wrong its like an extreme water treadmill!

17. Nov 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted and bigger tires
    I work with both military (army and navy) EOD and civilian UXO guys.

Back on topic....IM headed to the Bahamas for 8 days over christmas and new years on a live aboard. totally stoked

18. Feb 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    Time to revive this old thread:) I got my Open Water I certification in 1993, but haven't been diving as much as I would like. My last dive was a shipwreck night dive. It was AWESOME. I recently decided to go for my advanced certification. Last time I went to Laguna Beach, some guys were gearing up-had a newer Tacoma:) I've been bitten by the bug again, and hope to do more local diving (my wife won't dive locally because the water isn't "pretty").

19. Feb 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I'm taking a week long trip to the bahamas in july, should I get certified before I go and will that be an advantage? Or just try to do it while I'm there? I have never done it before at all. I am interested in getting my rescue dive cert as well because I am a first responder on a lake. I just know nothing about any of this to be honest.

20. Feb 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    dlooney

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    You'll have to do some serious diving in a week to get your rescue if you're completely uncertified, in fact that might be physically impossible :D I would definitely get certified before you go, then you'll be able to maximize your dive time.

To Top