1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scuba Diving

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by TacomaDiver, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Oh I didn't mean get the rescue there. I just want to do normal diving there, I'm sure they have a class you can take to get certified for normal diving there but I figured it would be easier to do it first. I just don't know the differences between any of the dive certs or what kind of restrictions there are.

2. Feb 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 TRD Off-Road
    OME 3inch lift, AAL for TSB Leafs, 285-75-16 Duratracs, Avid sliders, Leer 100XR, rear diff. breather mod, Safari Snorkel, Hi-Lift mounted on ARB, Compressor mounted under the hood, BAMF rear diff skid, ATO front, trans and transfer case skids
    x2, get your cert before you go. I just got back from the Bahamas, it was incredible!

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Vivid Illumination Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    MT recently relocated to Willmar, MN
    Vehicle:
    05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Cold Air Intake, rear cat delete with Aero Turbine 2525, Maglite mount mod, white LED's all around, white gauges w/blue needles, Tinted Tails, Morimoto 32" XBAR LED Bar, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau, Pioneer AVIC X-920 BT touchscreen, FX-R Retrofit, LR UCAs, OME 3" Lift w/ Dakar leafs, DTLT Headers, Walbro 255 fuel pump, TRD S/C, Hankook Dynapro ATM tires
    Im gonna get dive certified this year for sure! I have been snorkelling for as long as I can remember and im definitely ready to take it to the next level.

4. Feb 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd
    Bilstein 5100s, Thule Roof Rack, Pioneer AVH4300, tow package, anytime foglight, philips xtreme bulbs.
    ^^^^This, you don't want to spend your vacation in scuba school while everyone else is out having fun. If you can find a local dive shop, do it at home before you go. Some places will let you do your open water check out dive at the resort you are going to, so long as it's the same agency (PADI/NAUI). Even with this, i would just enjoy open water diving on the trip and then do the rescue diving another time. Just my .02.
    In 2003 i got certified on long island and then had a blast in mexico. Have been bit by the scuba bug ever since!

5. Feb 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I know I can get certified here, problem is the water is terrible and visibility is almost nothing.

6. Feb 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    scocar

scocar being weird again....still

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB x4 SR5, 01 Xcab TRD x4 V6 Man. SR5
    01: OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    It builds character. Actually, an Open Water cert from someplace like WA or down here in Monterey is worth a little more, IMHO. The cold water, extra and more cumbersome equipment, and lower vis all present greater challenges to work with, especially as a noob. I think it helps focus you better. If you earn an Open Water cert under these conditions, I think you are earning a little more.

7. Feb 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    maybe anyone wanna do a dive meet in nc?

8. Feb 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    belone12

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s, Thule Roof Rack, Pioneer AVH4300, tow package, anytime foglight, philips xtreme bulbs.
    I agree, the water on the south shore of Long Island isn't paradise. I did my checkout dive in a 7mm hooded suit, with about 5ft vis at best. When i got to the Caribbean Sea, it was a surreal experience. Better to learn in tougher conditions, makes the vacation dive feel more of a vacation - fun and easy.

We dive out of Beaufort, NC in the summer on the Atlantis. Great boat, great operators! Wreck dives are incredible.

9. Feb 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    dlooney

dlooney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    I don't know how many of us are on here but I'd obviously be down :D wanna come down to the coast? We got some nice wrecks down here :cool:

10. Feb 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    True that. Our dive instructor was a mean bastard, and pushed us hard. We spent lot of time in the pool blindfolded at the bottom recovering our gear, then did a couple dives in one of the skankiest lakes in SoCal. There were freakin' diapers in the water:eek: I feel like I could handle pretty much any dive conditions after that.

11. Feb 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    scocar

scocar being weird again....still

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB x4 SR5, 01 Xcab TRD x4 V6 Man. SR5
    01: OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    One of my first real dive "emergencies" as a buddy was in murky water in the Sea of Cortez. It was early in the season, and the viz was poor, about 30 ft. max, and it was colder than you'd expect. We were wearing 5 mils. Small group of 3 pairs, and my buddy and I were last. My buddy is way more experienced than I and she was in trail. The front pairs took off like rockets into the murk at abtou 60 ft deep. (I have never understood this approach to diving. I want to look around, not race.) We had no option but to keep up just to stay with the divemaster. So I spent all my time glancing forward to spot fins ahead of me, quick glance down to look at scenery, and quick glance back under my armpit to spot my buddy. Rinse and repeat rapidly. Not very fun. Then one time I glance back and no buddy. Fuck. I look foward for fins and say screw them, go back for buddy. So I had to execute a pretty much perfect 180 in murky water that was already disorienting, and kick straight back the way I came as fast as I could hoping that I am on the right bearing to find my buddy. After about 30 feet I could make out a huge column of bubbles and as I got closer, could see her inverted kicking her ass off straight down just to maintain depth and struggling. Turned out her BCD inflater valve stuck open and she could not get it off, but had to keep pulling her dump valve so she wouldn't shoot to the surface. I pulled her down on the sandy bottom and gave her my octopus so we could shut off her air (hold the jokes, too obvious). Then we looked around, checked our gauges, said fuck this, and aborted to the surface.

Point is, the first time I had an event in less than ideal conditions, I was able to deal with it easily and sucessfully. So I was happy to have had those cert dives in even worse conditions.

And take note. You need good underwater signals to say "fuck this."

12. Feb 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

If you get the cert there, you have two options....

Resort-course, which is a 1-day class and you have a divemaster up your ass 24/7, max depth 30ft... or pay three times what you'd pay here for the full class, and you'll end up spending your entire vacation in the classroom and in the pool.

13. Feb 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    LAKE PERRIS!!!!!!!!!

I've used it a few times for checking out new gear before taking it to Catalina.
    Makes me glad I dive a drysuit.

14. Feb 5, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i know i dove the indra in october it was cold as shit. ive got a place in emerald isle

15. Feb 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Bahh... if it's too cold for a shorty skin, I'm diving dry.
    Cozy comfy down to 50, and down to 40 with my dry gloves.

16. Feb 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    belone12

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    So, question about Tacoma + Scuba, or general outdoor use. This question excludes Cap guys. Do you use a tonneau cover and if so hard or soft? If i do highway driving w/ gear in the back i want it secure/out of sight. Right now I am between the Extang Solid Fold + Popalock or the Extang Trifecta (no need for a lock).
    Thoughts?

17. Feb 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    Lake Perris indeed-I still have nightmares:eek:

18. Feb 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I had a Gaylord's hard cover on my Tundra, but I made a couple of trips before I got the cover and just stashed my gear (HP120 tanks included) in the back of the access cab with a blanket covering everything.

19. Feb 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    TacomaDiver

TacomaDiver [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    UWS Wedge Chest Box coated with Line-X Wet Okoles soon!
    I keep all my stuff in the back seat. When I get to the dive site I transfer to the bed, gear up and dive away. I like the open bed for too many other things to cover it up.

20. Feb 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    brownc9

brownc9 Member

Member:
    I dove off Orcas this weekend, Visability was probably 10-15', not great but so much to see if you slow down and explore the nooks and crannies. I got certified here and when I went to Hawaii they asked me about my experience, I let them know I was from the Puget Sound and they said "You're good to go."

Tons of stuff to see here, if you can figure out how to stay warm.

To Top